Forum - View topic
NEWS: Supernatural The Anime Ships in North America in July


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
atunderdogk



Joined: 23 Aug 2009
Posts: 74
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
AnimeGuy1 wrote:
I watched episode 1 dubbed, very disappointed. Dean's face looks like he's surprised or some sort of joker. Plus the voice actor they used did not sound like the dean from the show at all.

Wait, what? Last I checked, Ackles did voice Dean in the anime...


He is doing the voice in the last 2 episodes. He is on the boxset release in various extras (interviews & episode introductions) but as far as doing the VA work for Dean it is Andrew Farrar for 95% of the anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanosuke32



Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 454
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The number of people that don't like the show but want to watch the anime makes me laugh, from what I've seen, it's very close to each other which is great.

The guy who dubs Dean's voice does a good job, but it's just weird knowing it's not Jensen Ackles. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Third Birthday scheduling conflicts. There's no reason for him not to, he's done a few voice over jobs now and he's been great at it, especially Red Hood. Doubt it has anything to do with cost, he's a TV actor, not a well known big screen actor or anything.

Also, why would you watch it subbed when natively, the show is in English so why would you suddenly switch to Japanese just because it's an anime. The sub vs dub argument has gotten so dumb over the years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Unholy_Nny



Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 622
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the first episode, but the English dub is awful. Regardless of if it was the originally recorded language (I'm under this assumption but I may be wrong), it's the single worst English dub I have ever seen. Ever. It's worse than dubs I've seen for live action films. I'm the kind of guy that prefers the English dub even when it is pretty weak, but this is just so amazingly terrible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Raikuro



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 344
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
The number of people that don't like the show but want to watch the anime makes me laugh, from what I've seen, it's very close to each other which is great.


It isn't that people don't like the show, it's that we like anime more. I've been meaning to watch the live action version, but supernatural effects on a TV budget are usually pretty laughable. Animation allows for things like severed limbs and transformations that aren't distracting because of how badly they may be executed with real-world limitations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sukisho



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the anime and it's pretty good overall, though the English dubbing could be better. It's just way too rushed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanosuke32



Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 454
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
sanosuke32 wrote:
The number of people that don't like the show but want to watch the anime makes me laugh, from what I've seen, it's very close to each other which is great.


It isn't that people don't like the show, it's that we like anime more. I've been meaning to watch the live action version, but supernatural effects on a TV budget are usually pretty laughable. Animation allows for things like severed limbs and transformations that aren't distracting because of how badly they may be executed with real-world limitations.


I do understand where you're coming from, but at the same time I disagree. When the show has severed limbs, or shapeshifters, it does look pretty gross when they shed skin, etc. Sometimes the effects, like the fire on the ceiling effect do look bad, but it's not very often, and doesn't really distract from how great the show really is. In fact, I'm a huge anime fan (hence being on this board) and watch 5x the amount of anime than I do live action. In fact, Supernatural was the first live action series I've watched in about 5 years, and it really opened the doors for live action shows again. There's a reason it's popular even in Japan, because it's like a live action anime done right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
TsukasaElkKite



Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 3418
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
the standard-definition release will come with English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

No actual real subtitles for the japanese version?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
The number of people that don't like the show but want to watch the anime makes me laugh, from what I've seen, it's very close to each other which is great.


As a general rule I dislike American television. As mentioned, budget is a big issue; America's obsessed with making these shows live-action since animation isn't take seriously, but animation would suit these kinds of shows much better. Look at Heroes, for a show about 'super powers' there were very little display of them, or complicated ones that weren't TV-budget friendly. I don't think you'll see really complicated monsters in this show either, like the blob in Akira for example or Balrogs

The other reason is writing: there's never really a main goal in these shows and it's mostly episodic (or at best, season by season plotlines like 24) but they have the horrible habit of going on for nine+ seasons and then getting cancelled; and if you're lucky, they'll scrape together some kind of halfway decent ending. From what I hear, Supernatural was supposed to end a few times already, but greed stopped that. With a 22 episode anime, well, that's a set number of episodes

Quote:
Also, why would you watch it subbed when natively, the show is in English so why would you suddenly switch to Japanese just because it's an anime. The sub vs dub argument has gotten so dumb over the years.


The original live-action show may be English, but this is an anime. I treat them seperately.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanosuke32



Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 454
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
sanosuke32 wrote:
The number of people that don't like the show but want to watch the anime makes me laugh, from what I've seen, it's very close to each other which is great.


As a general rule I dislike American television. As mentioned, budget is a big issue; America's obsessed with making these shows live-action since animation isn't take seriously, but animation would suit these kinds of shows much better. Look at Heroes, for a show about 'super powers' there were very little display of them, or complicated ones that weren't TV-budget friendly. I don't think you'll see really complicated monsters in this show either, like the blob in Akira for example or Balrogs

The other reason is writing: there's never really a main goal in these shows and it's mostly episodic (or at best, season by season plotlines like 24) but they have the horrible habit of going on for nine+ seasons and then getting cancelled; and if you're lucky, they'll scrape together some kind of halfway decent ending. From what I hear, Supernatural was supposed to end a few times already, but greed stopped that. With a 22 episode anime, well, that's a set number of episodes

Quote:
Also, why would you watch it subbed when natively, the show is in English so why would you suddenly switch to Japanese just because it's an anime. The sub vs dub argument has gotten so dumb over the years.


The original live-action show may be English, but this is an anime. I treat them seperately.


I agree, I'm glad the animation is only 22 episodes since it's only suppose to be the first/part of second seasons. Supernatural is still going strong though, and there is a strong goal in the show, in fact, the only season that really didn't have a strong goal was the first until the end, so really the anime doesn't have a strong goal unless they make one.

I ain't saying the show is better than the anime, in fact I thought it was awesome when the anime was announced because like you say, they can do some cool stuff in animation form that they can't when it's live action. I'm just saying, if they created a Heroes anime for example, I would not be excited at all because I have not watched the show, so I'm just curious as to why people would be excited about this.

Also, if you want to talk about greed, take a look at Shonen Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13993
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

As a general rule I dislike American television. As mentioned, budget is a big issue; America's obsessed with making these shows live-action since animation isn't take seriously, but animation would suit these kinds of shows much better. Look at Heroes, for a show about 'super powers' there were very little display of them, or complicated ones that weren't TV-budget friendly. I don't think you'll see really complicated monsters in this show either, like the blob in Akira for example or Balrogs


Well, if people can get by tokusatsu Japanese live-action effects, this shouldn't be much of an issue. Besides, as technically poor animation as anime generally is, fans always say it's the story that counts. A good story makes up for technical deficiencies.


TitanXL wrote:

The other reason is writing: there's never really a main goal in these shows and it's mostly episodic (or at best, season by season plotlines like 24)


Most anime TV series are season-by-season plotlines - and that's good because you're not left hanging in case there's not another season. The story is self-contained.


TitanXL wrote:

but they have the horrible habit of going on for nine+ seasons and then getting cancelled; and if you're lucky, they'll scrape together some kind of halfway decent ending.


Unfortunately, that is usually the case, except for rare series like Lost where they already thought of the ending from the start (helped by the fact that the acclaimed Paul Dini was the story editor). Even the X-Files fell into the same trap, after a promising start as a low-budget low-key niche series.


TitanXL wrote:

Quote:
Also, why would you watch it subbed when natively, the show is in English so why would you suddenly switch to Japanese just because it's an anime. The sub vs dub argument has gotten so dumb over the years.


The original live-action show may be English, but this is an anime. I treat them seperately.


Wonder if people will treat the live-action Akira separately? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PBsallad



Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 338
Location: Phoenix
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I saw a few clips for the English dub on youtube. As a few others have said, Jared isn't a good voice actor. But Andrew Farrar is quite decent. He also does vaguely sounds like Jensen.

enurtsol wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

The original live-action show may be English, but this is an anime. I treat them seperately.


Wonder if people will treat the live-action Akira separately? Laughing


That'll only happen when pigs fly. sadly. Crying or Very sad

edit: Got Jared and Jensen confused.
Fixed


Last edited by PBsallad on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
sanosuke32



Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Posts: 454
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
He was an excellent Red Hood, probably the only good voice in that movie besides the guy who played Black Mask and Neil Patrick Harris. Regardless of that, he IS Dean Winchester, so who's to tell him he shouldn't play his own character in Supernatural Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
LagannImpact



Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 573
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
Is it even possible that this might not even get a run on American TV? The CW where the original live-action version played probably doesn't even want to touch this, and I don't know if they've got any sort of cable connections. Adult Swim and Syfy are probably both too stacked to take this on. If G4 is affiliated with CW, putting this on after Iron Man as part of a reborn Anime Unleashed! block might be the best move possible.

Last edited by LagannImpact on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, if people can get by tokusatsu Japanese live-action effects, this shouldn't be much of an issue. Besides, as technically poor animation as anime generally is, fans always say it's the story that counts. A good story makes up for technical deficiencies.

Actually I was watching Gokaiger earlier and thought how the fight scenes in that looked far better than anything I've seen in Western live-action television. Maybe because Gokaiger doesn't try to be 'gritty realistic crime dramas with guns' with it's fighting. Tons of flips and over the top sword, martian arts, and gun choreography. I loved the way Luka attaches her two swords to the ends of whips and just swings them around and destroys everything in her path; or Joe's five-sword style.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
purplepolecat



Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Is it even possible that this might not even get a run on American TV?

I really doubt it will get on TV. It would have to be an adults-only slot because the violence is pretty extreme, more so than the original.

As a previous poster pointed out, this series was created for Japan. I can't see a big market for it here. You have to already be a Supernatural fan and an anime fan to really appreciate it, and the hardcore anime fans here tend to be a little snobbish about domestic TV shows. Personally, I love Supernatural, and I love what I've seen of the anime.

In the Japanese language version, Sam calls Dean an otaku because of his Impala fetish. I thought this was hilarious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group