• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre Sells Funimation to Group with Gen Fukunaga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote
I was beginning to think this wasn't actually going to happen. Hopefully this will turn out to be a good move for them.

RE: Sega producing a console (how the hell did the conversation go in this direction?) I don't think it's quote as far fetched as some people are saying. Nintendo showed this generation that it's possible to be profitable outside of the usual bigger-better-faster graphics race, and coupled with the explosive rise of casual gaming Sega might be looking to follow suit. I don't think they're going to release a low powered casual home gaming console, since the Wii is showing signs of major decline, but some sort of handheld designed to play non-hardcore games wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility. Both the 3DS and the NGP seem to be going for the core gaming crowd, so there's a possible market there.
ManuOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
I just hope this means that funi will now be realising hellsing ultimate V, VI and VII, come on i been wating since geneon stop releasing this great OVA. Shocked
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
It does not surprise me in the slightest to see Gen's one of the buyers and I take comfort he's going to be in FUNimation's future. He's got a good head on his shoulders and it'll be very interesting to see where he takes FUNimation.

I don't know how much control Navarre had over FUNimation, but if there were any, they're gone now.

Exciting news, at the least.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
It does not surprise me in the slightest to see Gen's one of the buyers and I take comfort he's going to be in FUNimation's future. He's got a good head on his shoulders and it'll be very interesting to see where he takes FUNimation.

I don't know how much control Navarre had over FUNimation, but if there were any, they're gone now.

Exciting news, at the least.

hey i usually hate asking and I have searched around but is there any more info that can be given about him? Send me a pm i you could i am just interested is all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
hey i usually hate asking and I have searched around but is there any more info that can be given about him? Send me a pm i you could i am just interested is all.

I'm not sure what you're looking for with this request. Gen is the CEO of FUNimation, who has gone on record several times at ensuring FUNimation will continue to do its best to serve customer needs, including producing dubbed anime.

Well, that cleans me out of my information. Sorry, but perhaps someone else can fill in the blanks for you.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Any back on topic, Alot of you don't see to understand, that since the R1 market pentration is smaller than when Narrave purchased Funimation that the total asset of Funimation's worth has shrunk in size. $24 million should be no surprise at all.
I just flipped back through the thread, and there is at most one post that could be read as maybe "not seeing to understand" that the R1 market is smaller now than it was then, quite a number that quite clearly do understand that, and of course quite a number raising points where that fact is beside the point.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
... is there any more info that can be given about him?
I'm not sure what you're looking for with this request. Gen is the CEO of FUNimation, who has gone on record several times at ensuring FUNimation will continue to do its best to serve customer needs, including producing dubbed anime.

Wikipedia helpfully adds that he went to Purdue. Also, I heard somewhere that he just participated in buying back a company for $24m that he sold for over $100m, so it seems he's probably a reasonably shrewd business person.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I can safely say that the Chinese is not going to be taken over by the Japanese economy, nor is Sega going to announce a console, they don't have the money they don't have the resources to compete with Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony.

China's economy thrives on US outsourcing and knock off industries, within the next decade, outsourcing and borrowing from China will decline sigfincantly.

As China's middle class grows and becomes richer, China is prioritizing domestic consumption as its market engine.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

Well, that cleans me out of my information. Sorry, but perhaps someone else can fill in the blanks for you.

He used to be vilified in the early DBZ days. Nobody wanted Funimation to acquire their favorite anime.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
He used to be vilified in the early DBZ days. Nobody wanted Funimation to acquire their favorite anime.

Used to be? Hell, I don't think there's a day that goes by without someone vilifying him for dubbing anime to begin with.

@agila61:
Just as an FYI: I do not run to Wikipedia to get my information. While I don't dislike the site, I tend to become skeptical when information has a "citation needed" label. Call me cynical, but I feel the citation should have been included before the information was displayed.

With that, some information I'll take with a grain of salt until validated, such as his attendance to Purdue. That school sounds so familiar...
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
With that, some information I'll take with a grain of salt until validated, such as his attendance to Purdue. That school sounds so familiar...
While the official Purdue alumni biography entry that is linked to may in fact be an elaborate hoax or cover-up, I think that "he is a Purdue alum" is by far the reasonable explanation for its existence.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
So why do we care where he went to college?

Purdue is an engineering school, it's where any of its ethos is drawn from. It's also in the same tiny town where he grew up. It rains on the parade a bit when that is considered.

To me, that means that if you are a Purdue alum and aren't pursuing engineering, you loose any prestige that your educational background could give.

Akin to participating in ROTC in college, and then not joining the military.

Furthermore, from the limited information on that wiki page, it can be construed that Gen Fukunaga tried his hand at engineering, couldn't hack it, and as such decided to jump into management.
That's particularly condemning if his reputation is trying to be bolstered by saying he went to a "prestigious" university. (Though all of this is based on a specious wiki article.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Furthermore, from the limited information on that wiki page, it can be construed that Gen Fukunaga tried his hand at engineering, couldn't hack it, and as such decided to jump into management.

He has a BS and MS EE from Purdue with EE Honors program and Tau Beta Pi and Eta Kappa Nu honor societies. He's fine.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Don't remind me how people probably still claim that Gen Fukunaga was the reason that some company couldn't bring over DBZ and everything his done is do to his uncle. Yeah, his uncle was instrumental for bringing DBZ to America, but it was because his uncle talked him into it since no one was interested in Dragonball because of its length.

The decision to skip over a 100 episodes to go from 13 episodes of DB to DBZ is genius because it allowed people to get into the action that people wanted.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
You do realize that there is a direct career ladder from engineer to lead engineer in a team to supervising engineers to "management" ... ? You can get from the one to the other by a series of promotions, so its not necessarily by bailing out of engineering because you can't hack it and looking for something else to do with your life ...

(though its not uncommonly those who discover that they enjoy the management more than the engineering who move up into the ranks of management)
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
KSweeley wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
... I'm done now. Anyone may get back on topic if they wish. ...
Actually if you pull pull up the TARR portion of the USPTO ...
That topic being "Navarre Sells Funimation to Group with Gen Fukunaga." Success selling dubbed anime downloads in the Xbox360 market could arguably have had some kind of extremely minor bearing on that ~

~ but I think we can be confident that success in selling dubbed anime downloads to some vague concept of a possible future device based on a trademark application had $0.00 impact on the sale, no matter how successful GrilledEelHamatsu was in luring the thread off topic by dangling the lure of wild speculation.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope with this move, Funi will still stick with their plans of investing in anime directly from Japan, I think that was one of their better ideas, and they won't jump into some hairbrained sales scheme to try to rebound from the sales slump. While Gen is still going to be around, if the billionaire guy just starts throwing his weight around and basically run roughshod over everyone, I don't want Funi to go the way of Bandai, Geneon and ADV. Which is either dead, or out of touch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6