• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Yu-Gi-Oh!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

The first series also did that. They changed all the card games to the Americanized ones, and for some odd reason they split up the manga into three 'sections'. Original, Duelist, and Millennium World. The first is obvious some terrible mandate by Konami which ruins the English release to hear them use silly names like Slifer the Sky Dragon or replacing "black" with "dark", but the later is just confusing and makes no sense. With Dragonball Z at least there was the excuse the anime did that, but 4Kids never did that with Yu-Gi-Oh (well, they did throw in lame subtitles like "Enter the Shadow Realm" and junk but that's besides the point)

It seemed like Viz did this in order to release the volumes quicker. After the original game of the week arc wrapped up in Shonen Jump, they jumped straight to the Millenium World arc while releasing the Duelist arc in volumes at the same time. Presumably they did this to show the stories that weren't covered by the anime at the time [I dont remember where the dub was at that point, but I'm pretty sure they had not gotten to the Egypt arc yet but had passed Marik's arc].

On the subject of the manga itself, I love where Yugioh ended up and it was clearly for the best, but I sure do miss the original setup it had, episodic as it was. I'd love to see a proper anime adaption of those chapters but there's just no way or reason for that to happen. Still, with the popularity it's gained it's hard to argue.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember the creator of Yugioh abridged said that while he wasn't a fan of the card game he followed the series due to the characters. In the first chapters the characters looked very creepy with giant hands and weird faces but art evolution changes even the regular Yugi into a bishonen. The ending was really sad but 4kids' edits made the whole thing sadder due to the characters pulling making lame jokes to lighten up the mood.

Although I'm not happy with Kaiba's characterization in the anime I'm happy with some choices like more screentime on Egyptian characters who appeared as the Pharaoh's bodyguards.

...So, Dragon Penis? How does that even work?! Shocked

Last edited by sainta on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'd love to see a proper anime adaption of those chapters but there's just no way or reason for that to happen. Still, with the popularity it's gained it's hard to argue.

There was a 27 episode (plus one short movie) adaptation of the original seven volumes back in 1998 by Toei with a compeltely different cast & staff (except for the character design duo of Shingo Araki & Michi Himeno, who returned for Gallop's adaptation). It changed some things, like toning down the violence & dark nature of some of the games, & made a one-off friend of Yuzu's into an important side character, but it is an anime adaptation of those early chapters. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see an official English release of this series, more than likely due to licensing issues regarding the more-popular anime franchise. Hell, even in Japan it has never received a DVD release, making it all the more obscure.
R. Glover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

The first series also did that. They changed all the card games to the Americanized ones, and for some odd reason they split up the manga into three 'sections'. Original, Duelist, and Millennium World. The first is obvious some terrible mandate by Konami which ruins the English release to hear them use silly names like Slifer the Sky Dragon or replacing "black" with "dark", but the later is just confusing and makes no sense. With Dragonball Z at least there was the excuse the anime did that, but 4Kids never did that with Yu-Gi-Oh (well, they did throw in lame subtitles like "Enter the Shadow Realm" and junk but that's besides the point)

It seemed like Viz did this in order to release the volumes quicker. After the original game of the week arc wrapped up in Shonen Jump, they jumped straight to the Millenium World arc while releasing the Duelist arc in volumes at the same time. Presumably they did this to show the stories that weren't covered by the anime at the time [I don't remember where the dub was at that point, but I'm pretty sure they had not gotten to the Egypt arc yet but had passed Marik's arc].

On the subject of the manga itself, I love where Yugioh ended up and it was clearly for the best, but I sure do miss the original setup it had, episodic as it was. I'd love to see a proper anime adaption of those chapters but there's just no way or reason for that to happen. Still, with the popularity it's gained it's hard to argue.

The dub was at the "Waking the Dragons" season, which focused on Dartz, and later the "Grand Championship/Dawn of the Duel" season with the KC Grand Prix, and later the Memory World arc, at the time "Millennium World" was released
R. Glover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'd love to see a proper anime adaption of those chapters but there's just no way or reason for that to happen. Still, with the popularity it's gained it's hard to argue.

There was a 27 episode (plus one short movie) adaptation of the original seven volumes back in 1998 by Toei with a compeltely different cast & staff (except for the character design duo of Shingo Araki & Michi Himeno, who returned for Gallop's adaptation). It changed some things, like toning down the violence & dark nature of some of the games, & made a one-off friend of Yuzu's into an important side character, but it is an anime adaptation of those early chapters. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see an official English release of this series, more than likely due to licensing issues regarding the more-popular anime franchise. Hell, even in Japan it has never received a DVD release, making it all the more obscure.

Who's Yuzu?
R. Glover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I remember the creator of Yugioh abridged said that while he wasn't a fan of the card game he followed the series due to the characters. At the first chapters the characters looked very creepy with giant hands and creepy faces but art evolution shows up changing even the regular Yugi into a bishonen. The ending was really sad but the 4kids' edits made the whole thing sadder due to the characters pulling lame jokes to lighten up the mood.

Although I'm not happy with Kaiba's characterization in the anime I'm happy with some choices like more screentime on Egyptian characters who appeared as the Pharaoh's bodyguards.

That appendage was also changed in the dub so it came from his stomach instead, but in the bunkoban, the appendage was changed so it was around him instead.
R. Glover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@ptolemy18 Why do Viz have censorship for even their "13+" stuff? Why? There isn't a good reason. If people under the age of 13 aren't supposed to be reading in the first place, why was Dragonball and "Dragonball Z" so butchered? Why did you censor FMA? Why did you censor so many things?

Out of the stuff you've mentioned, only Yu-Gi-Oh! (including Duelist, Millennium World and R) and Dragon Ball (all 16 volumes) are rated Teen. In chapter 7 of the English Yu-Gi-Oh!, the word "condoms" was removed, and more recently, in Dragon Ball, stuff such as Bulma's breasts were covered.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
R. Glover wrote:
Why did you censor FMA?

I'm not so upset about "censorship" in FMA as I am general incompetence. I wanna find the guy who couldn't figure out "Xerxes" and gave us "Cselkcess" instead and hit him over the head repeatedly with a hardcover history book.

To be honest? I gave up buying Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist when it became excruciatingly clear to me that the people translating it just didn't give a damn about getting anything right. Not even which cards existed IRL and which didn't. I think my personal breaking point was when it used "Muko" instead of "Null and Void," the proper TCG name. I have all five volumes of Yu-Gi-Oh! R in Japanese, and I'm happy with that - I never bought a single volume of it in English, because I didn't trust Viz to do a better job of translation than I could in my head (though I'll admit this is also because some bastard stole the promo cards out of every copy).

I remember, when the cards first showed up in the manga, getting a childish little thrill out of seeing "Hell Bound" on one of the cards. Hell Bound! Now there was a name you wouldn't see printed on any official card, ha ha, 4Kids and Konami suck. Nowadays, though, I'd have been more impressed if it had said "Shadow Specter," because that would imply the translator actually bothered to do his research.

Last edited by Ryusui on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
R. Glover wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Who's Yuzu?

Sorry, I meant Anzu/Tea. Brain fart.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
for instance, the scene when Yugi has to play Duel Monsters manacled to the floor with a whirring buzzsaw coming ever closer (it's linked to his Life Points)"

Ahem, Mr. Thompson, that was a DARK ENERGY BLADE that would cut off--I mean, send Yugi to the SHADOW REALM.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Americanization is really the least of the dub's sins. As is bowdlerization. It's the sheer "did-not-give-a-damn"-itude of the whole thing.

I've actually watched clips of ZEXAL in English and Japanese, and the translation is actually surprisingly accurate. Unfortunately, the voices are miscast (Yuma is pain incarnate), the original soundtrack is gone (where's my Photon Stream of Destruction, you bastards?), and "accurate" is no guarantee that the dialogue actually sounds good when said out loud by English speakers. It's not phoned-in, it's faxed-in.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

Takahashi said he regretted giving Zorc a dragon penis and it was stemmed from him being angry/stressed out over being in the hospital. Which is why he went back and changed it for the bunkoban re-release in Japan when he re-did and gave new art to some scenes.

Ryusui wrote:
I've actually watched clips of ZEXAL in English and Japanese, and the translation is actually surprisingly accurate.

Everytime I tried to watch the dub (admittedly, it was to see how they handled a certain scene) most of it was rewritten. Rather than Shark entering the WDC so he can get revenge on IV for burning his sister alive, he does so because IV says Shark isn't very good at card games. Kind of makes Shark seem like a shallow tool that he gets so angry over saying he's not good at card games compared to hunting down the man who attacked his sister.

Last edited by TitanXL on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Unfortunately, the voices are miscast (Yuma is pain incarnate), the original soundtrack is gone (where's my Photon Stream of Destruction, you bastards?), and "accurate" is no guarantee that the dialogue actually sounds good when said out loud by English speakers. It's not phoned-in, it's faxed-in.

The sad part about Yuma's voice is that it was fine for the first couple of episodes. I prefer Hatanaka's tone, but the English was perfectly in line with a typical protagonist voice. Fast forward about fifteen episodes and dub-Yuma sounds like a duck caught in a woodchipper. I wasn't even sure it was the same person until I went back and checked.

The music changes have always been terrible. They make it impossible to concentrate on anything that's going on, because all the cues sound exactly the same.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
R. Glover wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
@ptolemy18 Why do Viz have censorship for even their "13+" stuff? Why? There isn't a good reason. If people under the age of 13 aren't supposed to be reading in the first place, why was Dragonball and "Dragonball Z" so butchered? Why did you censor FMA? Why did you censor so many things?

Out of the stuff you've mentioned, only Yu-Gi-Oh! (including Duelist, Millennium World and R) and Dragon Ball (all 16 volumes) are rated Teen. In chapter 7 of the English Yu-Gi-Oh!, the word "condoms" was removed, and more recently, in Dragon Ball, stuff such as Bulma's breasts were covered.

FMA was rated teen, too. AFAIK, the only thing censored was the whole Greed cross fiasco that sent the internet into an uproar.

Lord Geo wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

It's also pretty bad after the first three episodes. Although, that episode with the watch guy was horribly disturbing.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
It's also pretty bad after the first three episodes.

Yeah, it wasn't very well received and that's why the Duel Monsters anime skipped all the early chapter stuff. They started right when the manga rankings started to pick up and then adapted the early stuff into the show in their own way.. like instead of Anzu being held hostage by a escaped crook at Burger World and Yugi saves her, her teacher tries to blackmail and rape her and Yugi saves her. Or Noa's Ark was pretty much Kaiba's past with some more stuff added in compared to how quick the manga blazed through Kaiba's childhood and they decided to flesh it out a bit more and kind of a reference to Toei's series by making Noa have green hair like Toei's Kaiba did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4