• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Accidental Bargains

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow
I remember that type of package. I got the first Ranma 1/2 movie and the Armitage III movie that way. They were a real pain to deal with since it made the title hard to shelve. Eventually I scanned the sleeve and used the scan to make a DVD cover. I eventually got rid of both of them.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
Most recent case for me would be a lot of Gundam SEED anime lot I found an auction for on E-Bay that I won back in August. The prices for the first season of SEED are getting gouged pretty badly with box sets and Anime Legends sets pushing for a few hundred bucks. I managed to get the first season, SEED Destiny and the Special Edition recap films for SEED's first season all for only $76 in the auction I won.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Just stumbled upon a huge bargain. Found the limited edition version of Gundam UC 6 on Amazon for $8! Brand new and the ASIN checks out legit. Haven't had a lucky find in a while.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned this before (to a point of annoyance lol), but I have something to add to it, cause Im beating myself up over it and I need to share this realization

So if ya look at "With The Light: Raising an Autistic Child Vol. 5" right now on Amazon, you'll notice the cheapest copy is about $450. Last week, there was two copies available for about $15 (shipping included). I bought one of those copies in a heartbeat. A little later, I bought the other copy, thinking I bought Vol 6 for cheap (Vol. 6 is OOP and expensive too). I then realized I bought the same copy twice, so I canceled one of the orders. The other copy I canceled is now not on Amazon anymore

I am now REALLY regretting this decision. I should've just kept the one I originally bought and the extra one I accidentally bought. That way, I could've had two $500 OOP manga. One to keep for myself, and the other to SELL FOR PROFIT! That way I coulda bought the other OOP volume! Why didn't I think about that when I accidentally bought the other copy??!!!&$#*(
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Have you actually received your vol. 5? I only ask because you got it at such a great price that if I were in your shoes, my inner pessimist would rear his ugly head and wonder if there is a reason the item is so cheap.

If you receive the proper volume, then yes you should go ahead and kick your butt for not getting the duplicate and selling it for mucho dinari. Wink
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I haven't gotten it yet, but the price was worth the risk. The possibility of it being the wrong volume has crossed my mind though lol. The seller did just send me an email and they did refer to it as "volume 5" so that's hopeful lol

If its the wrong volume, or its in absolute shambles, at least I didn't lose much I guess, though I would be gravely disappointed lol.

Been trying to wait to see if I could even get half as lucky with volume 6 (which is about $100 right now). Doesnt look like it'll happen soon, though. So I've been considering A.) Splurging on volume 6 next paycheck and then getting the rest of the series (or vice versa), or B.) selling my volume 5 when I get (if its the right one and in good condition) and just spending the money from that on something else lol
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky without realising to buy my volumes of With The Light when they were a decent price.

One bargain I managed to get was 3 CDs of music from Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei for a good amount.

They were genuine sealed copies (or really good bootlegs, had full booklets in Japanese!).

Even with a high postal charge to get them sent from the USA to the UK they were worth it.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Just won an ebay auction for Paradise Kiss Complete DVD Box Set (2008 release) for $16! Like new condition; looks immaculate in the photos - no shelf wear on the art box or anything.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
Well done! That's a screaming deal.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
*re-posted from the 'what did you just buy?' thread*

Just won an ebay auction for Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales complete DVD set vols. 1, 2, and 3 for just $13.27 total! All are in basically new condition; this guy still has the security tags on the cases with slits in the top and cases and discs are all in perfect condition.

I already had volumes 1 and 3 (Goddess of the Dark Tower and Goblin Cat), but couldn't find volume 2 (Yotsuya Ghost Story) anywhere for less than $30, 40, 50+ (and not even brand new/decent condition). I can easily recoup my expenses for this purchase by selling my vols. 1 and 3 and have the complete set pretty much for free Laughing
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
I did once get a manga volume for £0.01, years ago. I was in London for something, and decided to raid the giant Forbidden Planet on Shaftesbury Avenue. They had a sale shelf where everything was below £5 IIRC, including lots of old, old Tokyopop stuff. What specifically caught my attention was all of the Erica Sakurazawa titles, so I grabbed them, and took them to the till, along with a load of other stuff. It was only checking the receipt later that I realised one of the Erica titles had gone through for £0.01. It to this day remains by far the cheapest manga volume I've ever purchased. Nothing else has come below £1.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote
Fewture had released Faye Valentine as a resin statue. FYI: Resin statues are more expensive than PVC figures.

I was exploring a site's clearance section when I found one marked down to $25, having the disclaimer the figure was damaged and there would be no refund on the item.

Imagine my surprise when I opened it and found the statue in pristine condition.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
On the weekend, I bought a used box set (in great condition) of Hare + Guu for $15. After checking Amazon and ebay, I discovered that was quite a good deal. The cheapest set online that I was able to find is $79.99. This probably doesn't qualify as a true "accidental" bargain since any time you buy used anime from a private seller, you can usually get a good price if you know what you're doing. I only add it here because I didn't know in advance that the price was so good.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think too keen on most of the prices for OOP releases for me to ever get an "accidental" bargain. I know the going prices for pretty much all the shows I've ever been even vaguely interested in. Like, when I saw Blood score that H+G for $15 I immediately knew it was steal vs the $70+ I've seen in the past. I'm as up-to-date as I used to be since I either have all the OOP stuff I wanted or it's been rescued, but some stuff sticks with me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
Ever tell you about the ebay seller who sent me what I had ordered completely free (free shipping) because she felt bad that she didn't note that she could hear that the disc had come off the spindle?
It was already a bargain disc. Alien Nine, won for just a couple bucks IIRC.
Although if she has sent me the communication with this news before sending it I would have just given her permission to open the case and put it back on the spindle before sending it to me. Not that it got damaged in shipping. It was fine.

still being sold for less than $10 on ebay...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3