• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - All of Your Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Feel like Justin has been being prepped for this role as Answerman for years and years of "Well... Justin knows more about this, so here's what he has to say about it: insert super informative technical stuff."

Glad to have you here.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Happy that Justin is taking over this column. He has the creds.

Kind of miss answerfans. Maybe you could ask a question that fans could answer in the Talkback, sort of like Mike Toole does sometimes in his column?

Answerfans is done. You'll get used to it, I promise.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
Justin (or, as I am terribly British, should that be 'Dear Mr Sevakis'?Rolling Eyes), the very heartiest of welcomes. With absolutely no disrespect to the previous incumbents of the 'Answerman' hot-seat, whose wisdom and experience have been beyond question, I can think of no safer hands in which to place the reins of this careering juggernaut - of which this first column is proof both positive and absolute. And if you can cope with the support of someone who can actually remember when there was a king on the British throne, may I wish you every success for your time in charge.
Mate, glad to see, not only someone older than me on an anime forum, but a fellow Brit as well. I was born a few months before our present Queen became Queen in the first place. But you can remember her father The King? I bow to your seniority.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
And the revenue is surprisingly good: by some estimates, Hulu pays MILLIONS of dollars in royalties to anime publishers every month.

Great Scott. That's an enormous amount of money, for Anime at least. And with no real middleman to speak of and little risk, I can totally see why hulu is popular with content creators. I just wish it worked in New Zealand.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:
I can't wait to dig into the mailbag and see what questions you'll come up with for me.

Oh, oh! I have one! Can you tell me when the 3rd season of Rosario and Vampire is coming out? Please?

There isn't gonna be a season 3 of R+V.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. Media regionalism isn't something that has any reason to exist still in 2013.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:
I can't wait to dig into the mailbag and see what questions you'll come up with for me.

Oh, oh! I have one! Can you tell me when the 3rd season of Rosario and Vampire is coming out? Please?

There isn't gonna be a season 3 of R+V.

I'm 99% sure that was a joke
LeonardRhine82

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Welcome Justin.

I'll be reading this column everyweek. Data centered around companies, anime and manga publishing and the japanese business model, are things that really interest me.
albanian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
albanian wrote:
...as I am terribly British...

My god, what a terrible affliction!

I do so suffer under the crushing weight of history and tradition Crying or Very sad but I think I'll live.
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mate, glad to see, not only someone older than me on an anime forum, but a fellow Brit as well. I was born a few months before our present Queen became Queen in the first place. But you can remember her father The King?

So now I can guess what the '52' stands for. Wink
Quote:
I bow to your seniority.

Believe me, it's not all it's cracked up to be!
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Can you tell me when the 3rd season of Rosario and Vampire is coming out? Please?

Actually, I was thinking of the same question when saw Justin is doing the column now. Wink

Back to the subject at hand, glad to have you working on the column Justin! Now to come up with a question worthy of your experience...
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
There's also the concept of "psychic value", or the idea the act of ownership is what sets the price, i.e. A Picasso itself isn't worth 22 mil, but the act of owning one to show off to all your CEO friends... . By making things more expensive and exclusive than necessary, the act of purchasing becomes itself valuable and a status symbol. By decreasing the price of a luxury good you can actually end up selling less.

Also in the mix is that if you lower the price of your product, the consumer will still spent the same amount of money, just not on your product. So in other words, cutting prices will hurt you and help your competition, which generally is a bad idea. The anime market doesn't work like a normal market because overall demand is low while in a small, isolated community it is very high, which generates distortions.

//I totally just made all of that up right now.

I like that concept of "psychic value" (and not just because I remembered reading that Malcolm Gladwell piece on Grantland regarding this topic). This explains why I'm secretly happy with the Japanese pricing model (and, by extension, Aniplex USA). So, on a much smaller scale, my anime collecting is no different than owning a yacht or every owner of an NBA team.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Why is reverse importation so feared then, if as you say there are no broad spectrum of consumers and they pay what they pay?

I mean even if no additional buyers come into the market, the inference is that the Japanese consumers are willing to spend the roughly 80 bucks or so, so wouldn't that just mean they would buy 2 shows at the price point, and maybe you get spillover from shows that would normally compete. I mean in the end the companies would make the same, but if you have someone supporting 2 shows instead of one that would allow some room for a few more shows, assuming the disposable income will go to anime regardless.

Also what technological innovation are on the horizon? Going from hand drawn to pc saved a lot of money. Its clear that cost is one of the greatest things hampering the anime industry, so what is the next logical innovative step to get creation fees low enough so sales don't become as much as an issue as they are now?
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I mean even if no additional buyers come into the market, the inference is that the Japanese consumers are willing to spend the roughly 80 bucks or so, so wouldn't that just mean they would buy 2 shows at the price point, and maybe you get spillover from shows that would normally compete. I mean in the end the companies would make the same, but if you have someone supporting 2 shows instead of one that would allow some room for a few more shows, assuming the disposable income will go to anime regardless.

This is under the assumption that every show is "worthy" of being bought at that price point. The reality is not all anime series are created and received equally. Some shows don't sell at all (AKA "under the Manabi Line"). Of course, EVERY show costs money to produce. There is only so much money available in the consumer market.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Why is reverse importation so feared then, if as you say there are no broad spectrum of consumers and they pay what they pay?

My guess is that those who would be willing to spend less money might end up spending less money in a place that gives the creators back NO money. The license fees are already set, so the creators do get that already, but then, if the creators allow Japanese people to buy Western imports, they don't just get only half of the cost of the DVD. They get NONE of the cost and one of their products in their country goes unsold. It doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal, and it would still be better than if they lowered the price altogether, but it still takes a good chunk out.
I mean, it sounds like they're being paranoid for no reason at all, but I swear it WAS an issue at some point.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Quote:

And when is the next History of Power Rangers? Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6