• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Two Shrewd Dudes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Some of the Kaiju in the final battle are kinda generic. Up until that point they'd all been really distinct I thought. Loved the battle of Hong Kong. Kinda almost wished the movie had ended there. Still, like you said, minor complaints. Really fun movie overall.

I found the Kaiju to all be kind of generic, maybe that's the wrong word. I would say that they're not diverse. They kind of reminded me in appearance to the collosi in Shadow of the Colossus.

Kind of wish they had extremely divergent appearances like pokemon or the angels in EVA or something.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was ok. I guess I'm the kind of guy who's 'no fun' with movies, because I can like but will never love something unless it has some substance.

Quote:
I find the 1080p on Crunchyroll does look slightly better. Not a lot by any means but a marginal improvement. I do play my streams on my bigscreen TV via HDMI though.

My CPU isn't good enough to decode 1080p fast enough, so the framerate becomes bad.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 am Reply with quote
Other then all the crappy dialog, Pacific Rim was awesome.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac, Justin, I cannot believe that you guys haven't watched Eccentric Family yet. What's wrong with you? It's a wonderful series.

Watamote: I am told that the manga's author's notes talk about the author's and artist's problems with social anxiety (evidently it's bad enough that the artist stopped going to meetings with the animation staff).

As to modern series that are heavy on the fan-service but which do not use rape threats for titillation (or anything else), what about Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere and to a lesser extent Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls (first season --- the second season was a stupidity-too-far for my taste, so I can't say anything about it)?
scineram

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Kannagi, Toradora, really? That was a wtf moment. Both are much better shows in every aspect, neither has anything to do with fanservice. Free is hilarious in a completely different way. Well, it's the fanservice mostly.

A bit disappointed that no one watches Gatchaman, one of the weirdest new shows. Not even an interest in such an unusual spinoff.

And everyone should watch Uchoten Kazoku. Simply wonderful, the weirdest new show.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
While I'd buy an Orguss blu-ray the second such a thing hit the street, the idea of losing the horrible typewritten scripts that Justin describes probably means no more constantly referring to the protagonist as the "differentiated ideoblast". And who wants that?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough for a failure, AnimeSols succeeded ... Creamy Mami got up, and of course AnimeSols only needs one set to hit to keep going. Its not as if it needs half of the sets to get up for the money to work.

On the pledging, Justin is right and Zac is wrong ~ if you pledge and it gets up, you are charged, and then it goes to extra time and any pledge is charged immediately as an additional order.

If it doesn't get up, you are not charged. Indeed, I do wish there was an option to support the stream independent of the set, since I'd gladly pay $5 to support several of the streams, but they haven't had anything I'd want to collect as of yet.

Mind, I don't know that there is a show from that era that I would want to collect other than Dear Brother.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
I find Watamote to be absolutely hysterical. I am all smiles all laughs all the way through every episode so far. That part at the end of episode 2 where she just puts on her headphones in the middle of her friend talking and walked away, put me on the floor.

Meh, different people have different senses of humore I spose.
Blarg Monster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
I see where you are coming from about Free! with it being totally fun and nothing really creepy about it, but from the opposite direction. I am actually pretty tired of fanservice shows aimed at males where pretty much every male protagonist is a masochist/beta-male and is just constantly being demeaned. The minute or two of walking in on a girl in the bathroom or w/e does not make it all better. I actually have a hard time thinking of a fanservice show that doesn't have this, maybe Cat Planet Cuties? but I guess the main kid was a super wuss the whole time, so maybe not.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:12 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Oddly enough for a failure, AnimeSols succeeded ... Creamy Mami got up, and of course AnimeSols only needs one set to hit to keep going. Its not as if it needs half of the sets to get up for the money to work.

On the pledging, Justin is right and Zac is wrong ~ if you pledge and it gets up, you are charged, and then it goes to extra time and any pledge is charged immediately as an additional order.

If it doesn't get up, you are not charged. Indeed, I do wish there was an option to support the stream independent of the set, since I'd gladly pay $5 to support several of the streams, but they haven't had anything I'd want to collect as of yet.

Mind, I don't know that there is a show from that era that I would want to collect other than Dear Brother.

We definitely are considering putting up new goals for the series that failed JUST for continuing to sub and stream them.
But looking at the view numbers, it's pretty dire.
Each person who watched every Yatterman episode for example would need to pledge $5 _per episode_ to fund just the translation/subbing (because there were <25 of them).
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
If Watamote was badly rotoscoped and came out before Flowers of Evil, I think Zac would've liked it (I'm only partially trolling with that comment, because part of me thinks it's true). Watamote has similar themes (anxiety, social issues, school sucks) but done in a much more entertaining way that doesn't expect so much from the viewer (i.e. buckets of patience). For the record, I watched all of FoE, enjoyed the experience, and glad it exists; but I'd rewatch the 3 episodes of Watamote I've seen so far over rewatching FoE any day. Tragic comedy is something I find very funny if done right, and I hardly take things that personal. The show is depressing yet hilarious at the same time.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I looking forward to the compete Orguss coming I would like to see it all from the beginning. Very Happy
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
Having listened to the pod minus what I think was the Pacific Rim part...

I'm lost on the description of Watamote being all about social anxiety. I took her delusions and rage issues to be the larger issues(and largely why I don't find it funny...*sigh* I know people like this). Or is it chicken or the egg thing? ie. All her separate traits aren't what make her awkward, it's her awkwardness that manifests in all these traits.

ServicexService is just about filling out paperwork? I really missed that part. I would have figure that the large breasted character would have been the logical area of contempt, thematically. It does come up a lot but it's not really fan service-y.

Eccentric family is one of the better shows I've seen in a while, but don't let that stop you. I'm frequently taking a screen grab of the backgrounds to use as wallpaper.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
We definitely are considering putting up new goals for the series that failed JUST for continuing to sub and stream them.
But looking at the view numbers, it's pretty dire.

Each person who watched every Yatterman episode for example would need to pledge $5 _per episode_ to fund just the translation/subbing (because there were <25 of them).

The only series out of the first clutch that I watched any of was Tobikage, but its not a series I'd want to collect.

I don't know that Yatterman would get many views even if it went up on Crunchyroll, unless it had availability beyond North America, but there are enough mecha fans at Crunchyroll that Tobikage would get some, especially if it went up in block sometime in the last month of a broadcast season.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I find the 1080p on Crunchyroll does look slightly better. Not a lot by any means but a marginal improvement. I do play my streams on my bigscreen TV via HDMI though.

My CPU isn't good enough to decode 1080p fast enough, so the framerate becomes bad.

This is something I wanted to comment on when I listened to the podcast this afternoon. I also have a much better picture quality on both Crunchyroll and Funimation when I use the 1080/HD option. Now I don't tend to watch either on my computers but instead I watch via a PS3 and a Roku on my living room TV. The increase in picture clarity and color was so good with the Roku Funimation app that I broke down and bought a Cat6 cable for it (and later the PS3 but I didn't really need it with that one - I have great wireless it seems but my Roku is a Roku2 and it did help a bit to add the cable) just to see if it helped with getting Funimation's set up to work better! I'm not usually one to even notice a difference between a upscale DVD and a Blu-Ray, so something is really does seem to be going on here. [Disclaimer: This is of course when the Funimation app is working, due to the issues the app and the Funi site are constantly having of late Rolling Eyes It's really interesting though - when Funi is up and running, the Roku app really does work better than the website. Here's hoping that Funimation gets whatever it is they're working on to fix their issues over there finished up and rolled out ASAP because they really need to get it done.]

Now, why is the HD option working so much better the SD? That's something I've been wondering about myself. I'm not sure but I'm willing to speculate that it could be something beyond just the 1080/720 issue. Either way, I think Justin is on point that 4K is being over blown as the next big thing. They're still struggling to get people to buy BD and now they think they'll buy new TV's for this? Laughing I don't think that is going anywhere very fast. Still, the HD/SD streaming on CR and Funi seems to make a noticeable difference and I'd love to know if there is something going on there and just what it might be (might help me tweak my set ups even better Cool )
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
Ok, I got to see Pac Rim...listened to rest of pod

'If it's raining and at night it always means they're doing it to save money on CG. It always means that'

Rolling Eyes

....ok you win I can't think of any other reason why a scene might be at night in the rain.

FWIW, do you know for a fact that all the elements that those scenes (might) contain are no longer intensive?

wind currents rain systems water simulation collisions reflections refraction(?) volumetrics...all dynamically interacting with each other and the characters.

Those were the sort of things that used to kill renders.

Simulations are also a problem because if you make changes to the character anaimation you'll most likely have to recalculate them all which runs downstream to the compositing stage. I could be wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2