• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Inspirational Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
so... is this real manga? or amerimanga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
It's revenge for Chrono Crusade and and all those schoolgirl manga...
Flipnofunk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so... is this real manga? or amerimanga

It looks like a amerimanga

So far after looking at the first page all i see is the girl getting kicked out of her house by her multicoloured (Her dress) mom and runs to the local youth group and trys to learn the values of christianity???

Last edited by Flipnofunk on Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="v1cious"]so... is this real manga? or amerimanga[/quote]

Amerimanga.

It's an interesting idea. I read the preview at their site. Serenity's agnostic attitude is actually pretty realistic. I'll read it at Border's the next time I'm there.

Is this going to be included in the "not manga but related" section?
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
So is it going to have an interesting plot, or strong character development, or is it just going to repeat the "lol u shud acept jesus DO IT NOW D:" idea and suck a whole lot?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
So is it going to have an interesting plot, or strong character development, or is it just going to repeat the "lol u shud acept jesus DO IT NOW D:" idea and suck a whole lot?

After reading the preview they have on the site.... seems like it may have the potential of having an interesting plot with character development, but it seems pretty preachy....

It seems interesting..... If I ever decide to check out Amerimanga this would be the one I pick up.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
My immediate thought upon hearing the title was "Wait, Joss Whedon's writing it as a Christian comic!?"

Because... see, other than his upcoming (Firefly/Serenity spinoff) comic? He's already written a three-part miniseries (now also a graphic novel, I think) for Dark Horse... called "Serenity" (not to mention the film from the series that's got the same name).

Is this seriously not trademark infringement? I know it's not in any way a copyright infringement, because you can't "copyright" a title, but surely Whedon, Dark Horse and/or Universal owns a trademark on it?

If not, I'm... surprised, to say the least. If so, then wow! Here I thought the fans were the only trademark infringers! Laughing (Since I seriously doubt all those Cafepress stores they have are selling "authorized" merchendise. Seeing as they don't say they are Razz Well, that and fanfic, but Whedon approves of fanfic, so that doesn't really count).

Quote:
a comedic teen soap opera about an unhappy girl
who finds a happy ending.

Ah. Sounds like a guilty pleasure to me. Assuming that they don't, as space clam said, "repeat the 'lol u shud acept jesus DO IT NOW Very Happy' idea".

Preachy though... eh. I suppose I could stand to give this a try if I could stand the preachy side of Confidential Confessions (indeed, in volume 2 I applauded it... then again, I've always thought that both sides got the short end of the stick - those who've read it I'm sure know what I mean by that).

But I probably won't buy it, seeing as I regretted for the most part my purchase of CC. Razz

I did like these parts of the announcement:

Quote:
the distinct manga style heightens the emotions and relationships of the characters.

Quote:
“Manga is not a fad—it is not a craze,” says Marlon Schulman, former VP of Bandai Entertainment and founder of AnimeVillage, now principal and partner at Realbuzz Studios. “It has firmly entrenched itself in the marketplace.”

Quote:
Manga Facts:
· Manga is the Japanese style of comic storytelling, putting greater emphasis on emotion and character than American-style comics.
· Manga imported to the U.S. is a swiftly growing $150-million-a-year business with approximately 60% of its readership being female. Sales in United States and Canada last year of manga reached over $207 million dollars

Good press for manga, I say! Very Happy (and though some artists are obviously better than others, that is actually one of the reasons I tend to prefer Japanese-style comic art to American-style; it's really expressive. And the shoujo stuff - and yeah, even some shounen - is often quite emotional. Of course, some of it is angsty crap or melodramtic, but some of it isn't Razz).

Also, think of it this way: this is a Christian group that ISN'T trying to demonize anime or manga. Always a plus. Razz

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
It's official. Manga's everywhere.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess to each their own. I can't say this isn't mind-blowing. An eyebrow was raised, but I think that's it.

I would definitely prefer PBS manga to EWTN manga, incidentally.
lavothas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
after reading the preview i can tell you right now the plot as it will most likely be

bad girl (serenity) > loving christian convert who turns her life around all due to the love of god an christ... a few bumps will be placed into it to add a bit of a twist at times but for the most part it will essentialy be a propaganda story about how christians are great.

(not saying they arn't i'm just saying what my impression on the story is.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Hm... it's interesting. Though I'm not much for redemtion stories, although I suppose there's people who like that style of storytelling. Personally, I think that something lin the vein of Frank Peretti's works (e.g. This Present Darkness, The Oath) or C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy or Narnia would probably make a better conversion into the manga-style format. It's obviously religious, sure, but it's also a great, entertaining story. And the manga industry is an entertainment industry first and formost.
Koe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I read the preview and it wasn't bad. It was kind of preachy but it was short enough to keep that part confined to only a few pages. It's definitely one of the better, well done Amerimanga I've bothered to read. :D
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
lavothas wrote:
after reading the preview i can tell you right now the plot as it will most likely be

bad girl (serenity) > loving christian convert who turns her life around all due to the love of god an christ... a few bumps will be placed into it to add a bit of a twist at times but for the most part it will essentialy be a propaganda story about how christians are great.

My thoughts exactly, especially on the propaganda part. That was perhaps the worst Amerimanga (preview) I have ever read, and I thought previews were supposed to showcase the best part of whatever they were advertising. The color artwork was hideous (save the cover), the characters had no personality, and the plot is VERY, EXTREMELY predictible. I did want to see further reaction from the prayer group when Serenity said 'My parents divorced and I was fine!'.

You know, I was hoping Amerimanga was taking a turn for the better with Dramacon and Sorcerers and Secretaries, but no...I think this is aimed towards the (to quote the Amerimanga) "bible banging" crowd as opposed to...well, us.

...Just my opinion...
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
It's Superbook and Flying House all over again!
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I believe there was already a Serenity comic make up original names people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6