• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Inspirational Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absurd Hero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Also, I would like to point out that it's "Inspirational", so it's not trying to be preachy to non-believers, it's trying to be supportive to people who already believe.

If that was the case, why have a main character who is so resistant to Christianity? (She still "doesn't quite believe God exists," by Volume 3.) If they really wanted to be inspirational, they would focus more on the Prayer Club and less on Serenity herself. For example, they could show how the club deals with life's good and bad times in a Christian way. Instead, we're going to see a girl go from your average agnostic to a bible-thumper in six volumes.

I personally like the simple character designs and the novelty of it being a full-color manga (however simple those colors may be.) But I'm already getting the creepy feeling that I'm reading an updated Chick tract. It may be only a 9-page preview, but Serenity's "re-education" has already begun.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
hehehe, well, I'm an uber-christian, and I'm going to be buying this, and hoping it sells alot, so they will make a more male oriented christian amerimanga I won't be embarrased to read in public ^^; , besides that, it does look good.... to me atleast, but I'm a "bible-thumper" who likes to "re-educate" the masses.... too bad it doesn't work the way it seems it does in Serenity....
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote
Fallcon wrote:
You know ACDragonMaster really put it in terms most people can understand with his last post. Because i know that alot of people in the world today are not "true" Christians, but its nice to see that people are at least taking a shot, to get people understand what they are preaching... cough cough Laughing

So the real thing is, if people can accept it how it is, or shot it down as another shot at trying to get people back into a hurting Christian culture Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

*laughs* The irony being that I explained it to make the point that those were not relevent scriptures to be cited in regards to a Christian company publishing "manga". But yeah, I figure that if you're gonna reference something like that, at least quote the text, if not make note of how you're reading it, since interpretations vary.

Quote:
If that was the case, why have a main character who is so resistant to Christianity? (She still "doesn't quite believe God exists," by Volume 3.) If they really wanted to be inspirational, they would focus more on the Prayer Club and less on Serenity herself. For example, they could show how the club deals with life's good and bad times in a Christian way. Instead, we're going to see a girl go from your average agnostic to a bible-thumper in six volumes.

Many Christian teens, or non-Christian teens from Christian families or just in general, tend to have similar doubts and questions to the issues the main character's bringing up. It's written that way to try to make it relevent, or so I'd assume.

Still say Peretti's works would be a better example to go on for an effective style, though. I mean, c'mon, demons and angels at every turn? Battles between human and spiritual forces? Or how about a supernatural dragon terrorizing the area around a mountain town with a dark past? That's some fun stuff right there, and hey, even though scripture is included in his novels, it tends not to come off anywhere near as preachy.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Quote:

Many Christian teens, or non-Christian teens from Christian families or just in general, tend to have similar doubts and questions to the issues the main character's bringing up. It's written that way to try to make it relevent, or so I'd assume.
I agree mostly there. I don't think it is trying to convert but to bring stray sheep back into the fold, like the sheppard. Besides the last place an Agnostic would look to seek shelter would be a church group gathering, unless it was a life threatening situation like a blizzard.Wink
Absurd Hero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Besides the last place an Agnostic would look to seek shelter would be a church group gathering, unless it was a life threatening situation like a blizzard.Wink

In the preview, she went to the prayer club meeting with the intention of messing with the Christian kids so much that they would stop bothering her about coming to church.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the problem with this. It's not like they're saying that if you're not Christian, you'll go to hell.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
Absurd Hero wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Besides the last place an Agnostic would look to seek shelter would be a church group gathering, unless it was a life threatening situation like a blizzard.Wink

In the preview, she went to the prayer club meeting with the intention of messing with the Christian kids so much that they would stop bothering her about coming to church.
Sorry? I thought she went there because she was locked out of her house in the cold with no coat, and shoes on and nowhere else to go. Did you read the same preview as me then? Wink
Absurd Hero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:20 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sorry? I thought she went there because she was locked out of her house in the cold with no coat, and shoes on and nowhere else to go. Did you read the same preview as me then? Wink

I'm not sure which preview you read, but on page 3 it says "That's it! If I tick them off -- they'll never bug me again!" The reason you mention is valid too of course, but this is why she decided to go to the church instead of looking for somewhere else to seek shelter.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Absurd Hero wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'm not sure which preview you read, but on page 3 it says "That's it! If I tick them off -- they'll never bug me again!" The reason you mention is valid too of course, but this is why she decided to go to the church instead of looking for somewhere else to seek shelter.
I read that as just her way of buffering herself from the preaching whilst getting warm. I still don't get where she went there to deliberately "mess" with the group like an attack. If it was it obviously didn't work. Wink
Absurd Hero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I read that as just her way of buffering herself from the preaching whilst getting warm. I still don't get where she went there to deliberately "mess" with the group like an attack. If it was it obviously didn't work. Wink

On the next page she specifically says, "I argued all night -- they'll never want me back!" Her dialogue very clearly tells me that she intended to tick the Christian kids off so they would leave her alone.

Ah well, it's obvious you're just not interpreting it the same way I am. C'est la vie.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
space clam wrote:
I still think the Old Testament as a whole would make a great manga/anime

It had been done long ago. Why not just license it?

I saw this on EWTN. I guess they got the broadcast license.
Baal Zebul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Ugh...seeing this makes me want to play Noctourne again...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Absurd Hero wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

On the next page she specifically says, "I argued all night -- they'll never want me back!" Her dialogue very clearly tells me that she intended to tick the Christian kids off so they would leave her alone.

Ah well, it's obvious you're just not interpreting it the same way I am. C'est la vie.
The Free Preview seems to have dropped off. as it keeps coming up as an "error" message now.
Absurd Hero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they've screwed up their website. The links don't work, but you can access the pages by modifying the following URL to whatever page number you need:

http://www.serenitybuzz.com/free_preview/slide_1.htm

The quote I gave you comes from Page 5.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
Absurd Hero wrote:
Looks like they've screwed up their website. The links don't work, but you can access the pages by modifying the following URL to whatever page number you need:

http://www.serenitybuzz.com/free_preview/slide_1.htm

The quote I gave you comes from Page 5.
Thanks for that. I can see them now. I still think that was her way of getting into a warm place but buffering herself from the the idea that they might "convert" her but as the later pages show her resolve is not fractureless. Your statement said
Quote:
Which to me was saying it was a dilberate attack, but on more comprehension I can see what you meant which is similar to what I was saying. She was being defensive not offensive so I believe we are sort of in phase now. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6