• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Inspirational Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
I wasn't able to get the preview pages of the official site to work, but I did the "search inside the book" feature at Amazon.com. Granted I can't judge how well this comic is from only three or four pages, but if those few pages are any indication as to what the rest of this comic is like, I seriously doubt I'll be picking this up anytime soon. I didn't like the character designs any at all. The only character who looked half-way decent was Serenity and the pages that I did read had way too cheesy slang. "Scope out the new tassel with blue hair?" Isn't a tassel that little thing on the side of graduation caps that can be moved around? Rolling Eyes I doubt this comic would be used for evangelical purposes simply because I doubt anyone could take it seriously. It feels like this comic wants to be taken seriously but it just comes across as being really cheesy.

Really, I can only see this comic as being good for two purposes. One: An over-protective parent who doesn't like their kids reading "all those violent manga" could use this as a substitue for their kids to read. They'd probably think "Hey, instead of banning my kid from reading all manga, I can buy them this wannabe Japanese comic to read instead! It's Christian so you know it's gotta be safe and kid-friendly and it's got those big eyes, pointy noses and triangle-shaped mouths Jody and Billy like so much, so they must like this, too!" Two: A Sunday school teacher at church can use this comic as a fun way to teach the bible to kids and young teens who are all into those hip new Dragonball Z and Yugioh shows because they'll just love seeing those big eyes, pointy noses, and triangle-shaped mouths they love so much being associated with the bible.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
I wasn't able to get the preview pages of the official site to work, but I did the "search inside the book" feature at Amazon.com. Granted I can't judge how well this comic is from only three or four pages, but if those few pages are any indication as to what the rest of this comic is like, I seriously doubt I'll be picking this up anytime soon. I didn't like the character designs any at all. The only character who looked half-way decent was Serenity and the pages that I did read had way too cheesy slang. "Scope out the new tassel with blue hair?" Isn't a tassel that little thing on the side of graduation caps that can be moved around? Rolling Eyes I doubt this comic would be used for evangelical purposes simply because I doubt anyone could take it seriously. It feels like this comic wants to be taken seriously but it just comes across as being really cheesy.

Really, I can only see this comic as being good for two purposes. One: An over-protective parent who doesn't like their kids reading "all those violent manga" could use this as a substitue for their kids to read. They'd probably think "Hey, instead of banning my kid from reading all manga, I can buy them this wannabe Japanese comic to read instead! It's Christian so you know it's gotta be safe and kid-friendly and it's got those big eyes, pointy noses and triangle-shaped mouths Jody and Billy like so much, so they must like this, too!" Two: A Sunday school teacher at church can use this comic as a fun way to teach the bible to kids and young teens who are all into those hip new Dragonball Z and Yugioh shows because they'll just love seeing those big eyes, pointy noses, and triangle-shaped mouths they love so much being associated with the bible.
And the problem with that is.......? Question
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
That America is once again, stereotyping anime and manga, believing all you need to make a good Japanese comic is big eyes, pointy noses, and triangle-shaped mouths. It's nothing more than a cheap attempt to cash in on the recent manga craze.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
That America is once again, stereotyping anime and manga, believing all you need to make a good Japanese comic is big eyes, pointy noses, and triangle-shaped mouths. It's nothing more than a cheap attempt to cash in on the recent manga craze.
God Bless America. The home of Free Enterprise. Isn't that the anthem then?
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:

I said it before, and I'll say it again because of the new preview, but it's too harsh to judge an entire book by just a couple of pages. And you're making a lot of assumptions about the author's intent. After all, America didn't make the comic, a group of people did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I got a reply from my childrens RE teacher about this. She liked it very much and would like to use them as a study reference. She said the concept should be a winner with high school aged pupils and was sure it would at least make her classes more popular, but was disapppointed that she could not have them available on line so she could call up the complete series and put on their new E-boards. I suggested contacting the publisher and see if there was any chance of a discount for bulk deliveries of the books to schools. Wink
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Really, I can only see this comic as being good for two purposes.

Three: A reverse-psychology instructional tool for international artists and comickers on how NOT to adapt Japanese popular illustration techniques into their style.
Four: A cautionary tale to Christian teachers and community leaders that trying to "trick" kids into religion with tasty, trendy Japanomania is pretty shady, and that you could do a lot worse than giving them actual Bible readings and historical context to study from.

And this is after getting my hands on a complimentary copy, so I had a chance to read through the whole thing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
What planet are you two from? It's a comic with a christian message that looks like manga. It's not some right wing subliminal mind control device of George Orwell-ian proportions. Get over yourselves. Rolling Eyes
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
What planet are you from where you can tell us what our opinions should be like? If we don't like this, then we don't like it and we have just as much right to have these opinions as you do to have yours. Maybe you should be the one to get over yourself, so shut your damn mouth.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
Oh charming. Otakus, ya gotta love 'em. "How dare the non-Japanese comic artist draw in a way that looks like Japanese Manga? It is an insult and sacrilege to our beloved divine drawings. Let us find and burn all institutions that dare to teach this blasphemy outside of Japan, used to brainwash us to the ways of the ultra right wing. A fatwa on the blasphemers and those who oppose us!" Maybe you should practice what you preach.
shikatamasu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Ok, being the persistant bugger that I am, I've read this thread to the end..and no pun or poem intented Embarassed Lots of conterversy about propoganda, religious bias, etc. Good arguments on both sides, valid points. But at the end of it all, my personal imput on this Christian manga-styled story is this:
it comes down to one's own personal entertainment. Be it Christian literature, and ever more shocking your favorite manga or anime series, it's called choice. If a Christian styled manga would totally offend you, don't buy it. And by the way I do not consider myself a Christian. So I'm stealing form one of my favorite charactors a certain qoute. "Love and Peace"
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it comes down to one's own personal entertainment. Be it Christian literature, and ever more shocking your favorite manga or anime series, it's called choice. If a Christian styled manga would totally offend you, don't buy it."

Exactly! Thank you. This is the reason why you never see people running around screaming about how the Left Behind novel series is brainwashing people - because it isn't, because people have the choice whether or not they want to buy, read, and/or enjoy it. There are more than plenty of publications with religious messages intact - heck, Narnia comes out tomorrow, and anyone with half a brain knows who Aslan represents. How these religious messages are received is up to the viewer, so if you don't like it, just stop looking at it. No one's forcing you. :)

I love you ANN, but out of all the silly arguments we witness around here, this is by far the silliest. :D

As for the quality of the book, I'll judge it when I can flip through a printed copy. *Shrugs* It's as simple as that. And as for it being a cash-in on Japanophile popularity....Capitalism is your friend, don't fight it. :) In terms of the use of the Amerimanga style, this is less a method of Christians trying to reach non-Christians than it is adults trying to reach kids. This is just some silly middle-aged, church-going, well-meaning people trying to create something that their church-going children will enjoy, and perhaps they might show it to a friend or two. As far as marketing goes, it's the same as educational video games - just parents trying to find new ways to reach their children, nothing more, nothing less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Oh charming. Otakus, ya gotta love 'em. "How dare the non-Japanese comic artist draw in a way that looks like Japanese Manga? It is an insult and sacrilege to our beloved divine drawings. Let us find and burn all institutions that dare to teach this blasphemy outside of Japan, used to brainwash us to the ways of the ultra right wing. A fatwa on the blasphemers and those who oppose us!" Maybe you should practice what you preach.
Even if Serenity was done in an American-comic style art, I still wouldn't like this. When I first read about Christian manga, I thought it was an idea that sounded neat, but not done like this. This book comes across as being overly-preachy for my tastes and I would have preferred it if they had told its story with the Christian messages taught in a more subtle way that isn't so in-your-face. Besides, I've heard this story about troubled teen girl gets her life turned around when she comes to know God being preached to me for free all my life. Why should I pay money to read a story I've already been told for free about a million times? I don't know about you, but I read comics to be entertained, not to be preached at. If I want Christian Inspirational entertainment, I'll stick to my Switchfoot CDs, thank you very much.
Baal Zebul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Man, I really wish their was something other than christian inspired stuff. I mean, where's the Buddhist manga? The Jewish manga? (which would be awesome, by the way) The satanist manga? Well I guess that could be considered Shin megami Tensei... What I realy wish is for some other religions to go out and make some manga. With the way we are now, "inspirational" always seems to mean christian.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there is a lot of Buddhist philosophy in a lot of manga, I believe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6