• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Eligible for Oscar [2005-11-17]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
A shame Appleseed didn't make it. Since the Academy doesn't care about plot, Steamboy has a chance.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
In terms of actual film quality, I'm betting on Corpse Bride, Wallace and Gromit, and Howl's Moving Castle being nominated, though if they don't want two stop-motion animations nominated at once, they could probably plug in Robots for one of them, though it doesn't deserve it.

If there is any justice at all in these nominations, Madagascar will not even be considered. It's just another movie riding on the success of other CG animation films' success.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
I don't care who wins, but if Robots even gets nominated, I'll scream, especially if no anime are nominated and it is.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm amazed that people think that Robots has as much of a chance to get nominated as either Madagascar or Chicken Little. Robots just got released too early in the year to be much of a contender. Chicken Little might have gotten mediocre reviews, but it has the advantage of being released very late in the year, so it's still fresh in the minds of Academy voters as they fill out their ballot.

Steamboy got released too early in the year as well, and it doesn't have the critical momentum to overcome the lack of visibility, so few Academy members will likely even be aware of it as anything other than an obscure choice on their nomination round ballots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bquinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
I like how two of the films (valiant and hoodwinked) are somehow eligible for an award, yet they have not even been released yet.

Chicken Little, Valient, Hoodwinked, Robots, madagascar are all CGI comedys.

Maybe they need a new catagorie, animated comedy.

They academy would be stupid to consider anything other than the anime and stop motion films.

PS: WTF is Gulliver's Travel, i searched google and imdb and couldnt find a damn thing other than a 1939 cartoon.

PSS: time of release doesnt matter much, as they get to screen the nominees. chicken little was one of the worst films to come out of CGI. I think its between Howl's and Corpse Bride.
B-Rad Lascelle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
My money's on Wallace & Gromit scoring the win. It boasts the best combination of critical acclaim, fresh appeal and box office clout.

Howl may squeak in with a nomination. It wouldn't hurt the DVD sales. But it doesn't stand a chance of winning. And Steamboy has no business even being considered.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
bquinn wrote:

PSS: time of release doesnt matter much, as they get to screen the nominees. chicken little was one of the worst films to come out of CGI. I think its between Howl's and Corpse Bride.

The time frame of the release is a much more important a factor than some people think. Otherwise, the October-released Shark Tale wouldn't have had a prayer. And that's why most "Oscar bait" Best Picture films are released in October through December, because films released in that time frame are much fresher in the minds of Academy members, most of whom have busy day jobs in the film industry and simply don't have time to track down every single obscure screening (or watch every screener they're sent), especially not for a sideshow category like "Best Animated Feature".

Last edited by Tenchi on Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
A shame Appleseed didn't make it. Since the Academy doesn't care about plot, Steamboy has a chance.

Wait, you're complaining Appleseed didn't make it and also complaining Steamboy lacked plot? Now I agree it was a pretty cut and dry action film, but a darn good one. I would say the same of Appleseed, though I did like Steamboy better being a steampunk fan.

Anyway, yeah, these Dreamworks CGI animated comedies aren't Oscar calibre. They're churning them out with quantity over quality. They seem to thrive on jsut hiring a bunch of stars and thorwing their names on the movie instead of putting a good plot of characters in them. Plus their movies seem to be like SNL movies, one big comedy skit that goes on just long enough to call it a movie.

Pixar is where the Oscar worthy stuff is. I haven't seen Chicken Little, so I don't know how Disney is faring alone. I do like the star in it, Zach Braff, but I am also sickened by how Disney just fired everyone working on their 2-d animation and is doing all CGI movies now.

As for my pick, I'm rooting for Howl. I pesonally liked it better than Spirited Away, but that's just my perosnal liking. I guess I'm an emo/goth son of a bitch and realted to the sulky wizard.

-Xenos
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:53 am Reply with quote
Chicken Little probably has the edge. It's not a good film, but it's the most vanilla of the bunch, and the Academy will finally be able to give an award to a Di$ney film, and not just films distributed by Disney. The Academy already gave an award to the Wallace and Grommitt short, so they may not feel an obligation to reward Nick Park twice. No chance in hell of Corpse Bride winning, though. If it did, I guess it'd be almost as good as if anime won.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:01 am Reply with quote
Ah, I remember well when Spirited Away one. I was in Japan at the time, and on the Japanese news on tv they were seriously playing that little clip of the award being announced every 5-10 minutes.

Would be cool if an anime won, but hey, at least being considered is better than nothing.
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the FMA movie might ever be up for nomination if/when it makes its way over to the states (assuming it has some sort of theatrical release).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:44 am Reply with quote
bquinn wrote:
I like how two of the films (valiant and hoodwinked) are somehow eligible for an award, yet they have not even been released yet.

Valiant came out in August.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:32 am Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
I wonder if the FMA movie might ever be up for nomination if/when it makes its way over to the states (assuming it has some sort of theatrical release).

Not a chance in hell (would be a delayed release, considering the time it'll take for funimation to finish off the TV and DVD run, and it is, for all of it's technical merit and what not, still a movie attached to a CN TV series that hocks off video games and cards and stuff. Sort of puts a wrench in the spokes of artistic integrity)
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote
What the hell happened to The Place Promised in Our Early Days? It's not even possible to be nomiated? It's by far the best of the bunch.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote
Howl isnt going to be Nominated, and Steamboy was a commercial and critical failure. Wallace and Gromit or Corpse Bride will win it for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5