• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Infinite Stratos BD 1 Sells 22,000 to Top Weekly Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
Wow, did not see this coming. I mean, *I* liked the first episode enough; but it seemed like every one else either panned it or was ho-hum about it.

But when it comes to me and anime, Japan is usually never wrong; so I'm definitely picking this up when Sentai releases it.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess everyone has their own tastes, some people can't stand certain genres, others don't mind at all as long as there's a good presentation.

I won't deny the fact that I.S. is generic in some ways, but the characters, the themes of the story, and the way it was shown to the audience made it interesting rather than boring. Despite any of the flaws the previous posts have pointed out, I thought I.S. was a pretty entertaining series to follow till the end.

You want horrible combined with fan-service? This is my opinion, but the anime Rio - Rainbow Gate fits that description. To me, it was so horrible that I was waiting for episode 1 to end once I saw the first half of it.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ew really? I would have expected this show to barely crack 5,000 a unit at best given how bland and uninspired it came across in the first couple episodes I actually watched. Of course that has nothing to do with what actually sells over in Japan and I guess they just aren't tired of the whole Strike Witches formula yet.

Seriously though get rid of a whole bunch more mecha musume/harem shows in the future since obviously there's mad money to be had there.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Ew really? I would have expected this show to barely crack 5,000 a unit at best given how bland and uninspired it came across in the first couple episodes I actually watched. Of course that has nothing to do with what actually sells over in Japan and I guess they just aren't tired of the whole Strike Witches formula yet.

Seriously though get rid of a whole bunch more mecha musume/harem shows in the future since obviously there's mad money to be had there.

Some people like bland series. I know I am going to purchase it once Sentai releases the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
As evidenced by the "Frenchtan" in this thread, it sold well because of the pandering characters.

Pandering characters. Oh, dear. Just how exactly does that not apply to Madoka Magica? You can argue that it at least has "a good story". But so did Bokurano, but look at the difference in sales just because they have lolies animated by Shaft and directed by a lolicon whose combo indirectly sexuallized them lolies.
So much for double standards.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
*shrug*

Look at ISML. That's International Saimoe League if you're unfamiliar with it. How many Madoka Magica characters do you think are on it?

There aren't any PMMM girls there, whereas there are four from Infinite Stratos. Pretty amazing, particularly considering the loli-factor, no?
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Some people like bland series. I know I am going to purchase it once Sentai releases the series.

True. It continues to strike me that the more paint by numbers you can make your series the more people will find "comfort" in it and want to purchase it. Too bad the comfort and money always seems to be found in shows like this that I have absolutely zero maintainable interest in.

Sigh.....anime is kind of always on the verge of a lost cause for me lately because people like me don't fit in with the demographic that makes the industry money anymore and thus there's very little out their anymore being produced that's likely to appeal to me. It's really hard to give a damn lately when the anime industry, save for a company or two, doesn't seem to give a damn about people like me. Except maybe for the one work I manage to find every couple of seasons that goes completely under the radar of today's anime fan that I'll sit and watch quietly. I guess you can say I've seen myself very slowly go from being a mainstream fan to a fringe fan simply on account of shifting demographics.

Well anyway, this has been probably the most attention I will ever end up paying to Infinite Stratos, back to browsing the news.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There aren't any PMMM girls there, whereas there are four from Infinite Stratos. Pretty amazing, particularly considering the loli-factor, no?

Irrelevant. I was checking this league of whatever and they have plenty of pandering characters on the list of losers (or are you seriously saying they didn't with Saeko, Sawako... and the huge list goes on). That doesn't mean Madoka Magica isn't doing the same.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
It just means that it's doing it to a lesser degree than Infinite Stratos.

Would you agree with that at least?
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Shall we stop playing double standards then? I don't think it's fair or even necessary. Infinite Stratos fans knew that all along, and we enjoyed it because of that. That's how entertainment works for some.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I can't recall anything I've said that's a double standard.

Infinite Stratos sells because of the character pandering.

PMMM is going to sell much higher than IS because of the "speculah" story (pretty sure it's the most commented on anime ever on 2ch and because of character pandering.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
It's really that good??...

No, it's not.

At first, I wondered why Strike Witches is my favorite anime, yet Infinite Stratos bored me. They're both character pandering, right? But in IS, the characters seemed completely shallow Take Cecilia, for example. Her entire character is made up of two things:

1. Haughty ojou-sama archetype
2. Wants Ichika's c**k.

There is nothing to her character beyond that.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, come on. The more character depth, the less sexier a girl gets. This is basic knowledge.
Strike Witches had no need for character development either. The girls were so generic (and never went beyond that) that 10 seconds of them acting was all I needed to know. And IS worked the same way, but at least they realized it and went one step further and made better use of its 12 episodes.

@ Megiddo
I won't argue that. To me it seemed like you were acting that way, but fair enough if you claim that you weren't.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Oh, come on. The more character depth, the less sexier a girl gets. This is basic knowledge.

Faye Valentine says otherwise.

Another possible counterpoint would be that we have more than enough "sexy" characters at this point that you'd think creators could spare some more decently written ones. Obviously they don't need to though as character development is currently severely undervalued both by anime fandom and anime creators compared to sex appeal.

And all the while anime continues to fall further and further down the totem pole of entertainment mediums. At least in my book it now currently ranks somewhere in-between 2nd tier sports and B-movies and could possibly end up ranked somewhere sub B-Movie by the end of this year if the efforts by some studios to make it something somewhat respected by the international community and not just hardcore otaku don't work out.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
By the end of Cowboy Bebop Faye was more of an 11 year old girl to me. Sure, you can use your nostalgia to argue otherwise.

Faye is far from mature. She's a kid with a woman's body. Which is true, as far as her mind goes.

As for me... I always thought her figure was sexy. Until I watched Cowboy Bebop 5 years later.

Be stuck in your nineties nostalgic sexiness as much as you wanna. I'd rather keep up with progress and enjoy my present to its fullest.

Couldn't care less about where anime falls to you. That just proves that you're some antique opposed to innovation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3