• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Infinite Stratos BD 1 Sells 22,000 to Top Weekly Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
By the end of Cowboy Bebop Faye was more of an 11 year old girl to me. Sure, you can use your nostalgia to argue otherwise.

Faye is far from mature. She's a kid with a woman's body. Which is true, as far as her mind goes.

As for me... I always thought her figure was sexy. Until I watched Cowboy Bebop 5 years later.

And yet somehow she still comes across as more mature than the majority of female characters out their at this point or at least more justified in why she acts the way she does and is the way she is. I think the fact that they made her initially absurd personality a part of her overall character arc instead of just leaving it as a blank character trope with no background to flesh out her character (how they handle female characters today for the most part) helped a lot. In other words she has a reason to be the way she is instead of being the way she is solely because the writers want to cater to a specific fetish and the reason for why she is the way she is is actually pretty interesting and develops sympathy for the character in a deliberate and yet non-ham fisted manner.

Also I only just recently saw Cowboy Bebop for the first time and to me the show looks better than the majority of TV anime that's out there today. I swear anime has lost something in terms of the detail of character and background art with the advent of computer animation. It's like the art & animation lacks depth, much like how movies that are made with green screens lack depth compared to when the actors are actually on a real set or location.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Easy. Give it 2 years and about 2 re-watches and let's argue again.

What you said definitely makes sense and relates to my first impression, but after experiencing perhaps 300 titles on the top of it, it became extremely faint, generic, and weak. Cowboy Bebop no longer holds even 25% of its initial charm.

My evaluations often rely on one or more re-watches and different views. I'm not acting biased by no means. Which kinda sucks, because I'd love to.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
As evidenced by the "Frenchtan" in this thread, it sold well because of the pandering characters. For instance, in ISML, the following Infinite Stratos characters are participants: Charlotte, Huang, Laura, and Shinonono. So basically, it succeeded for the same reasons that K-ON! succeeded, except K-ON! didn't need the milquetoast harem male lead or harem antics/fanservice.

still doesn't stop k-on from being shit though. I liked the 1st season thought it was enough i did not see the need for a second season with double the episodes then a movie is slated? what the hell.. even rumors of a 3rd season as well, no lets not do a 3rd season of rozen maiden or 2nd season of dennou coil. Also I did a rough Estimate to see how much they made and now this just an estimate, "blu ray's cost around 80-100 dollars alone in japan for 2ep disc" so for volume one alone they made well over 2 million in profit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, no one is holding your family hostage to force you to watch it.

Let fans have their fun. If you aren't, then it's not for you. Simple enough, huh?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
The thing is, no one is holding your family hostage to force you to watch it.

Let fans have their fun. If you aren't, then it's not for you. Simple enough, huh?

I understand that and believe i haven't even touched the 2nd season but when something is good that gets over looked makes me a little mad. I still went ahead and bought the 1st volume of k-on on bluray since I did "illegally" watch it after all, and well I did enjoy the 1st to warrant a purchase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sigh.....anime is kind of always on the verge of a lost cause for me lately because people like me don't fit in with the demographic that makes the industry money anymore and thus there's very little out their anymore being produced that's likely to appeal to me. It's really hard to give a damn lately when the anime industry, save for a company or two, doesn't seem to give a damn about people like me. Except maybe for the one work I manage to find every couple of seasons that goes completely under the radar of today's anime fan that I'll sit and watch quietly. I guess you can say I've seen myself very slowly go from being a mainstream fan to a fringe fan simply on account of shifting demographics.

Very nice, I harbor the same sentiment and couldn't have said it better. Occasionally I'm not a quiet watcher though. Wink

Quote:
Oh, come on. The more character depth, the less sexier a girl gets. This is basic knowledge

I suppose this is true, though I've rarely found shallow characters to be sexy. An example? Satellizer el Bridgette. Nothing.
(The only shallow chars I can think of whom I found more alluring are from things like Otome, and even there, the chars were slightly more fleshed out than your average char.)

I watched a bit of IS. It was HD, so it looked alright. However, I made it through the first fight and the theme song sung by the Chrono Crusade singer, saw generic stereotypes, including the hated underage hyper-moe loli chars. They are anathema to me. Not a big fan of Gundam-style mecha either, I'm more of a Patlabor/Gasaraki mecha man. Then again, I thought Planetes was awesome (subbed), a sentiment that I'm all but alone in.

That said, I'll probably buy it to support Sentai Filmworks, especially if it has a good dub cast. "America loves an underdog!" Shoot, I bought their Blue Drop just for Kelly Manison & Laura Chapman's names surprisingly being on the cast, coupled with the other ADV classics. Though Blue Drop is growing on me a bit, I doubt IS will.
Corson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
As a faithful watcher of anime, I must attest that this series has SO many problems in it. As stated in previous posts, the over arking story that is the "Unmanned IS" is only vaguely shown and then completely forgotten. This anime breaks all the rules in terms of story telling and leaves all . . . .

Wait, why am I doing this? This is a harem series, and at that, a very pretty one to look at. As a harem, anyone who watches this MUST understand that it will never have a GREAT story. At best it will have a OKAY story. IS does this to an extent, but falls on its face with some very bad plot holes, and stupid choices.

Still, the animation is top notch, with pretty crisp 3D imaging for the IS battles and excellent scenery when we do start flying among the clouds and such. The mechs look pretty cool, and the characters, while very generic, are likable.

It is a wonder to me as why the series has sold so well in Blue Ray as It is a standard harem story with mechs thrown in.

The light Novels for IS unfortunately are not made available in english and the Manga barely has gotten past the "Second Childhood Friend", but from what it seems, it follows the story quite well to its original form.

With these sales, a second season is very possible. I for one want to see more. It wasn't the best anime for story and plot, but it had good action, fun characters, and made me giggle once in awhile.

I'm sure to pick these up as well when they come out, and patiently wait for a second season.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
What you said definitely makes sense and relates to my first impression, but after experiencing perhaps 300 titles on the top of it, it became extremely faint, generic, and weak. Cowboy Bebop no longer holds even 25% of its initial charm.

And here I was, thinking that the whole of the anime world was still infatuated with Bebop. I had seen a fair number of anime titles before seeing Bebop, and while Bebop wasn't awful, it certainly wasn't as amazing as I'd been promised. Pretty "meh" really, while there were some interesting twists, the characters were stereotypes and the plot (once it got to it) pretty banal. So much so that even cheesy Fox TV series have the same basic plot. FWIW, I saw Bebop on DVD in Japanese, solo viewing.
Quote:
As a faithful watcher of anime, I must attest that this series has SO many problems in it.

As a fellow faithful anime watcher, I've come to feel that the newer the show, the lower the standards, and have "expanded my horizons" accordingly. Plus, I really want to like this, as I have pro-ADV sentiment still.
Quote:
It is a wonder to me as why the series has sold so well in Blue Ray as It is a standard harem story with mechs thrown in.

Because the competition is weak--there aren't any other shows (correct me if I'm wrong) from this past season which ran with this formula, and its contemporary shows aren't exactly well-accepted masterpieces, able to draw buyers away from generic schlock without contest. (Indeed, they are also generic schlock, and apparently "generic schlock with mech & harems" trump other forms of "generic schlock with X")
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3