• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeMusicVideos.Org Served with Cease & Desist Order

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalium

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The real surprise here, I suppose, is that it took this long for the record labels to find out.

EDIT:
The record label in question was Wind-Up Records.
poweranime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I knew the discussion was out and about already, but come on... this is the beginning of yet another cornerstone idea of anime fandom that'll be laid to rest... and I really enjoyed the AMV too... i wonder if this'll stop the use of copywritten songs used for AMV contests in the future...
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Spoilsport.

Anyways, I don't think this means the death for AMVs. Bittorent sites were asked to remove links to fansubs for School Rumble (I believe?), but fansubbing as a whole has hardly collapsed. This is just three bands from one label. AMV watchers and makers shouldn't get their panties in a bunch over this.

Now, once we start seeing Grokster v. Hollywood-type lawsuits, then we can worry.

Edit: Oops. Guess I'm not supposed to be saying names here. Will fix.

Last edited by Hi no Neko on Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebaron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Well it could fall under the Fair Use, since no one really makes any money on the AMV (a few get prizes for popular AMV). They promote both the anime and the music for free, so I think they are shooting themselves in the foot in the long view.
youngstag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
omg. that fan is a total idiot to think the bands made those amv's. sounds fishy to me for him to ask someone like that too.

never heard of someone so stupid
Faceman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I hate stupid people like this, especially when AMV.org says who made the video in the first place. It's basically free advertising for the group as well. The creator's aren't making money off it and it's getting their music out to people who might otherwise never hear it.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
youngstag wrote:
omg. that fan is a total idiot to think the bands made those amv's. sounds fishy to me for him to ask someone like that too.

never heard of someone so stupid

Seems like a clearly false statement. The label executives are idiots if they think people will buy the story that one fan just saw 750 Creed videos and thought 'oh wow Creed likes anime! look at all the videos they made! durrr'.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
poweranime wrote:
i wonder if this'll stop the use of copywritten songs used for AMV contests in the future...

All songs have a copyright on them the moment they are created. Your post has a copyright on it that belongs to you. Anything original is copyright when it is created.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
thebaron wrote:
Well it could fall under the Fair Use, since no one really makes any money on the AMV (a few get prizes for popular AMV). They promote both the anime and the music for free, so I think they are shooting themselves in the foot in the long view.

Fair use has nothing to do with compensation, really. Creating an AMV falls under fair use. Distributing an AMV more than likely is not. That is kinda grey.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Wind-up Records one of those all-Christian labels?
Phantom14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Tha sounds fishy also.
But if it is somehow true, that person is probly very stupid.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
*picks her jaw up from the floor* And here I was about to start on my next AMV project...kind of creeps me out. I can imagine the ruckus over at AMV.org about this. *goes to check it out*

I shudder to think what the immediate fallout will be at anime conventions. Given the high profile of AMVs at cons, I could see record labels getting fussy about having a band's music played to a crowd of 5,000 people (who paid for the privilege of watching) without their permission. Ouch. And now cons, I would think, would hesitate to accept AMVs with music by those bands for fear of drawing attention on themselves. and causing more problems. Oy...the potential ripple effects are enormous.

AHAHAHA: here's a fun (albeit ridiculous) way to get around the copyright issue: make the AMV to a banned song, but only upload the video. People can listen along to their own song if they want the full AMV experience. Anime smile
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
AHAHAHA: here's a fun (albeit ridiculous) way to get around the copyright issue: make the AMV to a banned song, but only upload the video. People can listen along to their own song if they want the full AMV experience. Anime smile

Similar suggestions have been floated at the Org. Unfortunately, this brings up issues such as which version of the song was used, A/V sync, etc.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
2000 videos taken off? Well, people should be glad that Linkin Park wasn't on that list, or the number probably would have been well over 10,000.
Kalium

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
I shudder to think what the immediate fallout will be at anime conventions. Given the high profile of AMVs at cons, I could see record labels getting fussy about having a band's music played to a crowd of 5,000 people (who paid for the privilege of watching) without their permission.

Actually, conventions usually pay for a performance license. So cons, at least, are in the legal clear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8