• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Massive Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There's nothing good or empowering about a female character acting like a whore to appease male gamers.

So you define women as 'whores' based on how they dress? For shame. Last I checked Lightning wasn't accepting money for sexual intercourse which is the definition of a 'whore', but thank you for the misogyny of judging women by their outfits.

Last edited by TitanXL on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see how Lightning's new clothes will effect sales.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yep focus on the games, not the subject matter of these games or their implications. That makes so much sense. Who cares how a story focused game like FF presents it's characters? Right?

All square is trying to do is recoup because you know it and everyone else does that the FF13 is horrible. I bloody hate this entry into the series more so than 12 and honestly I can't wait to see the sh** stain on the FF franchise end for good. I would honestly rather be strapped down and force to play the broken version of FF 14 than this piece of garbage of again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
What we are saying is that it sucks to see them sex up this otherwise strong willed character, basically to sell you DLC costumes. It's as if they have no dignity themselves.

This implies strong-willed characters can not be interested in sex, the human body is inherently degrading and lacks dignity, and Lightning wasn't wearing a miniskirt and sleeveless vest in the first game and wasn't constantly flashing her underwear and armpits in various scenes. I believe this is called slut-shaming.

Jesus. There is no such implication. You're trying to spin not liking boobs in your face like this as some disliking the human body bs. The same shitty argument you use all the time.

Final Fantasy XIII does not have some awesomly neuanced characters complete with multi layerd female characters who use their sexuality as tool of thier means and do not chose to be defined by it.

It is a game series filled with unsubtle characters that shout thier personality.

XIII-3 will not be making statements about sexuality. Lightning will not behave out of character.

These costumes and boob jiggle are not there to serve or make a statement about the character.

They are there for you to jerk off to and get money off of those that do. That's it.

And what armpits? Ok...

And yeah she had a short skirt which XIII at no point did anything with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Titan: You still have no idea what you're talking about. Just stop while you can get out of the hole.

Quote:
It's hardly groud breaking for them to bring it up. It is more of a "me too! Me too! I'm offended by this as well!" as opposed to bringing up any actual controversy.

I'm sorry you are so stuck in wondrous bubble of privelege that you feel offended any time someone calls you out.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Titan: You still have no idea what you're talking about. Just stop while you can get out of the hole.

Quote:
It's hardly groud breaking for them to bring it up. It is more of a "me too! Me too! I'm offended by this as well!" as opposed to bringing up any actual controversy.

I'm sorry you are so stuck in wondrous bubble of privelege that you feel offended any time someone calls you out.

I"m sorry i was born white, I'm sorry i'm male, i'm sorry I like boobs "dragons crown not ff 13", i'm sorry for being a potential rapist because of the first two, i'm sorry for everything my ancestors have done.

*please note this sarcasm if you are to dense to know the difference then take and English 101 course.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
There's nothing good or empowering about a female character acting like a whore to appease male gamers.

So you define women as 'whores' based on how they dress? For shame. Last I checked Lightning wasn't accepting money for sexual intercourse which is the definition of a 'whore', but thank you for the misogyny of judging women by their outfits.

Oh screw you Titan. Say what you will about Chagen but your feigned outrage and pathetic attempt to co-opt a feminist position in order to twist it into a justification for your own blatantly self serving position is nothing short of disgusting. Lightning is not a real person. When we "judge" her by her outfit we are not condemning an actual woman. We are condemning the designers who decide what she looks like and who's motivations here are pretty clearly to make her sexy for men rather than to make her in any way empowered through her own sexuality. It's a blatant case of a once strong female character being reduced to a for men by men sex doll. If you really don't see a problem with this, fine. Whatever. But don't you dare try to pretend that you're somehow the one being gender progressive here. It's a blatant and disgusting lie.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh screw you Titan. Say what you will about Chagen

As amazing as it may seem to you, I am capable of telling when someone is insulting me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Oh screw you Titan. Say what you will about Chagen

As amazing as it may seem to you, I am capable of telling when someone is insulting me.

I wasn't being subtle. You're loud, obnoxious and seem to latch onto different positions almost at random. Arguing for anything becomes immediately harder when you do the same as you provide what is essentially a living straw man to the other side. Even when you essentially agree with me I wish you would just be quiet.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I"m sorry i was born white, I'm sorry i'm male, i'm sorry I like boobs "dragons crown not ff 13", i'm sorry for being a potential rapist because of the first two, i'm sorry for everything my ancestors have done.

Shocking as it may be to you, it is possible to be a straight white male who likes boobs and NOT be the kind of selfish shitbird that refuses to take into consideration that other people are not and otherwise basically demands that everything cater to you at the expense of others.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
please read the * message it's sarcasm. As I've stated I hate final fantasy 13 and if they ruin the image of the game OH WELL no loss to me because I don't care about the franchise. I however will not apologize for liking big boobs in dragons crown or other games that I do like if anyone has a problem with that fine that's what the net is for, venting your OPINION.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I wasn't being subtle. You're loud, obnoxious and seem to latch onto different positions almost at random. Arguing for anything becomes immediately harder when you do the same as you provide what is essentially a living straw man to the other side. Even when you essentially agree with me I wish you would just be quiet.

I don't latch on to different positions. I merely have convictions, unlike most people, and I defend my position, whereas most people pussy out and try to compromise with their opponents.
kamui85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
new games for arcades that get crowded, Japan exist in the past and future at the same time haha
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
please read the * message it's sarcasm.

Well yes. Of course its sarcasm. You're not genuinely apologizing for being a white male or liking boobs. Sarcasm still serves to make a point though. It's just the opposite of the literal interpretation of the comment. When you sarcastically apologize for being a white male who likes boobs you're implying that doing so is ridiculous (which is true) and also (this is the problematic part) that somehow the people who criticize straight white male privilege are demanding you do so. Which is obviously not the case. Hence my comment.

If you had some other meaning in mind I'm afraid it didn't come through.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
You like usual, have no idea what you're talking about.

Lightning "acting like a whore" is literally her having one of the costumes and poses of one of the character classes from FF14. Just like how the similar Cloud costumes makes her do animations based on Cloud.

This single DLC costume has about as much greater relevance to the actual game as marching through FF13-2 with Serah dressed in her Mass Effect body armor DLC does.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Dragon's Crown seems harmless enough. There's an equal M/F ratio and the story isn't that deep. I want to play it. And for what it's worth, muscular females are pretty rare in mainstream work unless colored green.

Lightning Returns seems more desperate. The costumes are being added to a character people didn't like all that much in an attempt to entice. It's fluff, but it shows a bit of desperation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17