• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reports 1st Quarter Profit, Steep Drop in Wii U Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, games don't have to cost so much to make; look at indi games and the like. I think most of the costs go to the 3d animation, art, environments, physics, orchestration, voice acting. That's cool and all, but a game doesn't need it.

That's one thing I'm kind of disappointed about; with system power increasing, all the games want to use that power, and there are many great modern games, I feel that the old style of 8 or 16 bit 2d games had a lot going for it, and I wish we saw more throwbacks to it.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Well, games don't have to cost so much to make; look at indi games and the like. I think most of the costs go to the 3d animation, art, environments, physics, orchestration, voice acting. That's cool and all, but a game doesn't need it.

That's one thing I'm kind of disappointed about; with system power increasing, all the games want to use that power, and there are many great modern games, I feel that the old style of 8 or 16 bit 2d games had a lot going for it, and I wish we saw more throwbacks to it.

I agree that you don't need those types of games, you don't need to spend a ton of money. But I still feel that Tripple A titles bring a lot to the table.

And like half the indie games made today are throwbacks to older games.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
This has been said before, but I don't mind repeating it: Nintendo should just get out of the console market and focus on making games.

It seems to me that Nintendo is edging a little close to the dreaded Death Spiral. The death spiral occurs when you don't sell many units, so not as many games are made for the console, so fewer people buy the console because it doesn't have many games. Not a whole lot of people other than Nintendo are making games for Nintendo anymore, and that's hurting them more and more as time passes.

If they went the Sega route and focused on making games for other platforms, I think they'd be better off in the long run.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
I say they should focus on the handheld market personally. Though obviously yes they should continue to develop their own games as well. We'll see how the Wii U will do. Maybe another rotation of Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Zelda will be enough for it to be profitable after all.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:15 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Because it's a global market you moron.

>_> Yep just like animation is a global market and if an anime sells like crap in America it's a dud. Nah. Japanese market is the only one that really matters for them. Plenty of Japanese games sell like balls in America >_> Half of 'em dont even get released here anymore. Sides, Nintendo games will sell either way so no big deal. Nintendo consoles are mainly for Nintendo games with maybe some Japanese third parties.

Quote:
Games cost way too much to only be marketed to Japan only.

>_> Do you have any idea how many games don't get released in America? Maybe American games, but Japan seems to budget their games better. Phoenix Wright still gets made despite not all the games comin' out over here or Capcom giving a crap bout us. Namco seemed to be just fine not releasing half the Tales games here and only NOW bringing over Xillia. Dragon Quest doesn't look like to be getting much more localization here either despite bein Square's biggest cash cow in Japan. Plenty of Japanese games do fine without ever touching the US market so I think you should rethink your stance x_x

Quote:
This is why Square Enix is now pumping out titles like Sleeping Dogs, Hitman, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex. Because that shit may not sell in Japan, but it certainly does here.

>_> They only publish those titles and they said those are bleeding money from them anyway

Quote:
EA swearing off the system is a huge blow to Nintendo. That means no Bioware titles like Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect 4. No DICE titles like Mirrors Edge 2, Battlefront 3 and Battlefield 4. No Popcap games like Peggle 2 and Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. These are all major releases, and none of them will be on the WiiU.

And nothing of value was lost. Japanese gamers aren't going to care about any of those.

Quote:
Third parties matter, they're what sells your console.

Cept Nintendo consoles apparently since Mario outsells everything usually >_> EA not supporting the Wii-U and people who treat it as a big deal have no idea what Japan or the Nintendo market cares about. American market != Japanese Market. Wii-U is not going to succeed because it has Dragon Age or Plants VS Zombies. It'll all be about Mario and the usual stuff like the Wii and Gamecube.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

>_> Yep just like animation is a global market and if an anime sells like crap in America it's a dud. Nah. Japanese market is the only one that really matters for them. Plenty of Japanese games sell like balls in America >_> Half of 'em don't even get released here anymore. Sides, Nintendo games will sell either way so no big deal. Nintendo consoles are mainly for Nintendo games with maybe some Japanese third parties

Its almost like you have no idea what you are talking about.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
Explain why lots of Japanese companies makes lots of games that they don't care about exporting them then >_>
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
So in summation:

-The Wii U's sales numbers are dismal and it has no 3rd party support...but 3rd party games don't matter.

-More than 60% of Nintendo's sales come from overseas...but overseas sales don't matter.

-The sky is blue...but >_> the sky is green.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
:3 Did you forget even you agreed all those 60% overseas sales were first party Nintendo titles so that isn't really a factor here? EA's stuff weren't killer apps on the Wii... even Monster Hunter sold better than Call of Duty did on the Wii which tells me the only third party games that matter will be other Japanese franchises Nintendo consoles are not the Xbox where CoD outsells all of Microsoft's first party stuff... which is only like only Halo since Microsoft has very few first party titles. >_> Nintendo has the strongest first party line up of any company so they don't need third party like another console might since its not like they'll ever sell as much as Mario does. Mario and Zelda have a better chance of moving the Wii-U than any of those games animehermit listed. Nintendo consoles have carved out their niche for Nintendo fans and have been since the N64 days x_x
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
And nothing of value was lost. Japanese gamers aren't going to care about any of those.

I can't stand EA, but only a fool makes a statement like this.

EA is the largest producer of games. Not only does the parent company generate significant titles, but its subdivisions do as well. EA is also partners to other game studios, and will often publish for them.

Japanese gamers wouldn't have a Nintendo console to play on if EA wasn't throwing them games on their handheld systems.

Which, to this day, still remains Nintendo's primary source of revenue, and has been since the introduction of the [edit: DS, not Gameboy].

Despite the sales of the Wii, its handheld market still made more money.

Don't take my word for it, though. Google will be your friend here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering. Since I own a Wii-U, I wonder if those who believe the Wii-U is doing fine even bought one?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The 3DS (of which I just got) seems to be doing a whole lot better. I lean more towards portable gaming these days, anyway, and while I still can't see the 3D effect for crap, the games are good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Crispy undertstands this.

1st. We're clearly talking about the console market.

2nd. Which is now only about HD development which is pretty costly. So there's no runaway system that's cheaper to develop for(which surprisingly also had third parties drop off).

Quote:

Nah. Japanese market is the only one that really matters for them.
To who? Small developers like Gust. Who employ like 15 people? Yeah they only care about Japan. Huge publishers and developers like Square and even Atlus? No, when they make a HD console game, it's little bit of a bigger deal.

You keep saying this, but I mean the actions of these companies clearly don't match up. Why did Square port FFXIII to 360? Why does Atlus partake in multplatofm development? Why did a small developer like Grasshopper move away from the Wii to not just PS3, but also Xbox development. Why did Square buy a western company? Why did Fromsoftware move it's Soul Series to multiplatform and a more worldwide publisher?
Quote:
American market != Japanese Market.
No one said this.

Quote:
Wii-U is not going to succeed because it has Dragon Age or Plants VS Zombies.
No one said this.

Quote:
And nothing of value was lost.
Pretty much all those games are going to be good.

And no they weren't bleeding money. The problem is that SE sit terribly high expectations for them when even their own games don't sell the 3million TR did. And I wonder why they needed those games to sell that much? It couldn't be they fumbled the heck out of FFXIV and their management is kind of screwy.

Quote:
>_> They only publish those titles and they said those are bleeding money from them anyway
Um no, except for Sleeping Dogs, they are Edios. Edios is Sqaure. To the point that both portions of the company are helping each other with HD development. I mean look at Agni's Tech Demo. That wasn't accomplished solely by the Japanese side. Neither is the engine Final Fantasy XV is using.
Quote:
>_> Do you have any idea how many games don't get released in America?
Do you? Not the many this gen. Stuff like Gundam, Robot Wars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games

I think about less then 50 Japanese games never left Japan. Again stuff like an AK48 game, Gundam/robot wars, anime games, visual novels, Japanese centric thing like My Summer Vacation, and Baseball/Sports games.

The two Yakuza games are probably the biggest things that didn't make it over here on the HD console side.

Quote:
Nintendo consoles are mainly for Nintendo games with maybe some Japanese third parties.
And it looks like it's going to continue that way and yet Wii U is showing so far that, that isn't exactly working. And third party support shows no signs of getting better.
Quote:
Japanese gamers aren't going to care about any of those.
I guess you speak for every Japanese gamer. But even if they don't in a globlized market it's going to effect them. If the console sells terribly in two markets thanks to big publishers not supporting it. Why the hell do you think publishers like Square and Capcom are going to put their big console efforts on the Wii U and not next gen systems that are selling well everywhere else? Because that's exactly what happen this gen. And where those big publishers go, that ripples down to small developers.

Quote:
Cept Nintendo consoles apparently since Mario outsells everything usually >_>
Yeah and maybe that will be true for this system. Except you can't look at the Wii's succsess because it's apparent that, that system's success is not going to replicated. Lets look at the Cube, it did ok, but not great and in the end third parties mostly left it.

Except now it's worse. You have an outdated system that is'nt catching on with the mainstream and is going to be hard to get support because it won't even be able to get ports soon enough. How far are Nintendo games going to?

Quote:
EA not supporting the Wii-U and people who treat it as a big deal have no idea what Japan or the Nintendo market cares about.
Except no one said anything like this. People said that in this globalized market, something like this maybe not directly has ripples that effect everywhere. If you can't get that, then it's you who has no idea how console market works. What we said is Wii U is going to get terrible third party support and that will probably be true with Japanese console games.

Quote:
It'll all be about Mario and the usual stuff like the Wii and Gamecube.
The Gamecube sold. 4.04 million in Japan. PS3 has even sold better then that. Cube sales aren't that great and the Wii U's sales are on track to do less. There's no cool gimmick this time and mainstream Japanese gamers are probably happy with their 3DS. Wii U probably won't get the big Japanese console games, because they will go to PS4 and Xbone. I doubt the Wii U does better than the Cube. I'm sure Smash Bros and Mario will be enough, but with the Cube it's not like they pushed that system that far and this was in an era where consoles were still king in Japan. Things have changed a great deal since then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Mario and Zelda have a better chance of moving the Wii-U than any of those games animehermit listed. Nintendo consoles have carved out their niche for Nintendo fans and have been since the N64 days x_x

You do realize that this "niche" has been shrinking ever since the SNES right? The N64 was handily outsold by the PS1 by more than a 3 to 1 margin and moved only a little over 30 Million units, a drop of 50% compared to the SNES' 60 million total. And the Gamecube? The Gamecube sold only about 20 Million units. It was utterly destroyed by the PS2 which outsold it 6 to 1. And despite all that, both those consoles had significantly better (if still bad) 3rd party support than the Wii U does.

The idea that Nintendo can get by on it's "Nintendo niche" alone is completely antiquated. There simply are not enough people who will buy an entire home console system just for it's 1st party games. If Nintendo wants to compete they need to either catch on with the same casual audience that made the Wii a huge success or start reclaiming some of that 3rd party fanbase that Sony and Microsoft have increasingly owned the last few generations.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Guys guys guys guys.

What if...

Persona 5, Wii U exclusive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4