• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reports 1st Quarter Profit, Steep Drop in Wii U Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Persona 5, Wii U exclusive.

Would sell a lot of WiiU's in Japan, wouldn't do much here.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Persona doesn't appear to be all that big of a franchise sales wise in comparison to some other potential giants. For instance, a Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest Wii U exclusive could push 10x the sales of the Wii U in Japan than a Persona Wii U exclusive.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
I don't think the Persona exclusive would be enough to make up for the amount of money Nintendo would have to throw at Atlus.

For all we know, it could be that Nintendo will end with a net loss for their exclusive deal with Platinum Games for Bayonetta 2.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it's a low investment on their end with Bayo 2. It was supposedly already well into development before Sega canceled it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
huh...a video game related war in ANN? Interesting.

Anyways, for kids out there who clearly weren't around in any of the previous console generations. It's Nintendo. They'll be fine and the WiiU will come out profitable as you'd expect Nintendo consoles to be. Hell, you only JUST witnessed a very similar situation happen with the 3DS.

History predictably repeats itself. No one gives a rats behind that a company that shells out mediocre tripe like EA stops supporting Nintendo just because they can't get Origin into the Wiiu. As long as companies that make real games are making games for the WiiU, then N's fine. In case you're forgetting, Nintendo still has Monster Hunter all for themselves.

The sole console to ever break the pattern was Wii and it's crazy success at launch. But literally every other consoles for the past few generations have been predictable as ever.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No one gives a rats behind that a company that shells out mediocre tripe like EA stops supporting Nintendo just because they can't get Origin into the Wiiu.
Battlefield, Mirror's Edge and many of the EA Partners games this gen were some of the best games this gen. They don't put out just mediocre games.

And millions of people do care. Battlefield is a huge success, people love Criterion's Need For Speed games, and Fifa and Madden are some of the most popular mainstream games out there. Not having those two games is a big cripple to your console in pretty much most of the western world.

Anyone who keeps saying this dosen't matter, dosen't know what they are talking about and is speaking only through their bias.

Quote:
As long as companies that make real games are making games for the WiiU, then N's fine.
And who's going to make real games for the system? It's becoming increasingly unlikely that 3rd party support is going to be there beyond a few games. And as we go on, developers that are probably invested in actual next gen development will eventually stop with current gen development and will have a harder time justifying the Wii U unless it all of sudden picks up in sales.
Quote:
In case you're forgetting, Nintendo still has Monster Hunter all for themselves.
Hardly. MH will go wherever it wants and it's predominantly a portable series. MH3HD did'nt light the WiiU on fire, it's 3DS version did.

Maybe you're right, history repaets itself. So will we see history repeat itself, just on a quicker pace this time? Will we see most third party developers/Publishers leave the Wii U just like they did the Wii. Throwing spin-offs and what not on the system and concentrating on the actual more powerful systems they invested in? probably, the difference being the Wii U dosen't have that motion gimmick that got the Wii everywhere.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's a low investment on their end with Bayo 2. It was supposedly already well into development before Sega canceled it.

And if Sega is in a bid to buy Atlus (which is the current rumor floating around)...
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
he difference being the Wii U dosen't have that motion gimmick that got the Wii everywhere.

The biggest difference is that they don't have the release sales numbers they did with the Wii. They coasted off those numbers this entire generation, which is why they were able to keep up after releasing nothing but garbage for years.

They don't have the sales numbers to coast this time, so releasing nothing but garbage is going to hurt them and badly.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
he difference being the Wii U dosen't have that motion gimmick that got the Wii everywhere.

The biggest difference is that they don't have the release sales numbers they did with the Wii. They coasted off those numbers this entire generation, which is why they were able to keep up after releasing nothing but garbage for years.

They don't have the sales numbers to coast this time, so releasing nothing but garbage is going to hurt them and badly.

Please name 1 'garbage' first Party Nintendo title on the Wii or Wii U.

Please.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:02 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Please.

I should have been more clear, I wasn't talking about first party Nintendo titles (though there are a few I would happily throw under the bus) But the overabundance of shovelware on the Wii.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Please.

I should have been more clear, I wasn't talking about first party Nintendo titles (though there are a few I would happily throw under the bus) But the overabundance of shovelware on the Wii.

Every mega successful console has its shovelware. I bet the PS2 could give the Wii a serious run for its money in the Shovelware department.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Every mega successful console has its shovelware. I bet the PS2 could give the Wii a serious run for its money in the Shovelware department.

The PS2 also had a lot of amazing 3rd and 1st party titles. Pretty much the only games worth buying for the wii were the first party ones.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Meh every console wars has its winners and losers, and the losers can recover. Hell, all the first xbox had was halo and the 360 did very well the next gen.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Meh every console wars has its winners and losers, and the losers can recover. Hell, all the first xbox had was halo and the 360 did very well the next gen.

This is false. The losers *may* recover, but eventually they can reach a point of no return. I don't know how many more chances Nintendo is gonna get, but if they keep this up, they're going to go down eventually.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Wii U has more negatives than positives atm. Tiny third party support. Single player system. Small battery life. Lack of must haves. Simply waited to long to join HD generation. Got too greedy with the always fickle casual market, that has tendency to follow fads, and was left behind. Nintendo ignoring their built up fanbase from the past will have to do something drastic to get us back. Im about to get the Xbox one, PS4 and a new Desktop. Lego city undercover isnt worth investing 400 into.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4