• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Patlabor Robotic Mecha Photos Circulate Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Tom Savini put it best-

"Sure, computer technology is here to stay, but there will always be a place for the practical special effects wizard."

Granted, the action scenes will need to be CG to avoid looking like complete cheese, but having Alphonse (I'm pretty sure that's Alphonse) in the background for the characters to interact with will be a huge help.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Tom Savini put it best-

"Sure, computer technology is here to stay, but there will always be a place for the practical special effects wizard."

Granted, the action scenes will need to be CG to avoid looking like complete cheese, but having Alphonse (I'm pretty sure that's Alphonse) in the background for the characters to interact with will be a huge help.

It will probably be used to stand in for both, otherwise it would have a 1 or a 2 on it....

The physical model looks great...I have interest in this and will keep a tab on it!
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Helius wrote:
Didn't know they were filming already. From the distance the Labor looks as good as it gets, though if I have to nitpick the vehicles have to be futuristic (yet practical), too, not just the mechs.

Not really. Aside from the Labors and the tanks, most vehicles in the Pato world look similar to what they look like today.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

It's hard to tell. The visor makes it look like 1, but the license plate is 20-22. It might be 2 before it was customized.
Bablioteca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
those pictures look surreal.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Impressive. I doubt they will use it much, though.
Helius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quote
Aizen-chan wrote:
Not really. Aside from the Labors and the tanks, most vehicles in the Pato world look similar to what they look like today.

This being my point, hence what I meant by futuristic yet practical. Assuming the new models of police car and whatnot which will be available in the future, you wouldn't still employ the same vehicles of this era, would you? 'Else it would seem pretty glaring, not to mention lowering the production value of the film.
Helius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Perhaps the overuse of computer-aided sequences could be avoided in a culturally fitting fashion: dressing actors as Ingrams and fighting amidst miniature buildings. Careful calibration of lenses and camera angles would retain an air of verisimilitude.

I reckon mo-cap would be a better approach. So far the Japanese hasn't quite managed to pull of live robo actions convincingly using pure CGI.

I agree that a degree of verisimilitude is important in a live-action project such as this, but I wouldn't want it to turn out like those Ultraman/ Super Sentai shows just because it's a Japanese gig. Imagine how awesome it would be if Patlabor can kick Transformers' butt from across the pond, using a fraction of the budget! Cool
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Helius wrote:

This being my point, hence what I meant by futuristic yet practical. Assuming the new models of police car and whatnot which will be available in the future, you wouldn't still employ the same vehicles of this era, would you? 'Else it would seem pretty glaring, not to mention lowering the production value of the film.

Well, firstly, just because there is a newer model available, doesn't mean that it would be put into general usage. The whole point of many of the Patlabor TV series episodes was to show the reluctance of the police to upgrade their Labors, and in few cases, to show that sometimes upgrading is a bad idea. The first movie was all about how they upgraded software, and it went horribly wrong.

Secondly, Pato doesn't take place in the mega-super-distant future or even a hundred years from now. It's like Alien Nation - it takes place maybe 10 years from now (actually 10 years from 1988). Things are not going to change all that much, at least as far as military/police vehicles are concerned. A LAV-25 built today doesn't look more futuristic than one built in 1983. The "MPC" that is being developed to replace the LAVs doesn't look more futuristic either. Obviously, a military buff will be able to rattle off a thousand differences, but to the general public they all just look like big tank things with wheels instead of treads.

Thirdly, the existing Pato movies still look great, but the mecha doesn't look that futuristic. The JGSDF Hellhound from the second film might not be a real world helicopter, but it looks like it could be. Does it lower the production value of the 2nd film? Not at all, and it has probably sold a lot of model kits to people who couldn't give a damn about giant robots, which is what it's all about, at least for Bandai.

Fourthly, in the world of Patlabor, where the labors are the latest technology, wouldn't it make sense that all the best designers would want to go into Labors, rather than car design or tank design? So the Labors get the cool and futurist designs (like the Griffon), while the Labor transports just look like big trucks, and the patrol cars just look like little ATV vehicles.

And don't forget some of the most iconic images from Patlabor:
- a labor dressed in a green flak jacket, holding a big-@ss shot gun
- the Revolver Cannon. A revolver! Obsolete for police use even in 1988!
Helius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
Aizen-chan wrote:
Well, firstly, just because there is a newer model available, doesn't mean that it would be put into general usage. The whole point of many of the Patlabor TV series episodes was to show the reluctance of the police to upgrade their Labors, and in few cases, to show that sometimes upgrading is a bad idea. The first movie was all about how they upgraded software, and it went horribly wrong.

And don't forget some of the most iconic images from Patlabor:
- a labor dressed in a green flak jacket, holding a big-@ss shot gun
- the Revolver Cannon. A revolver! Obsolete for police use even in 1988!

You seem to have a high threshold of what constitutes "futuristic". Do note I said the vehicles should be "futuristic" AND "practical". By that I mean we should see vehicles which are relevant to that era... of course that's not to say current models can't be in use in whatever year this film will be set. But then again, you'd expect to see the Police Interceptor (Ford Taurus) in movies made nowadays, not the ubiquitous Crown Vic which has been depicted to death over the past 20+ years. And please don't lump in military vehicles/hardware with this because that's an entirely different matter (these usually stay commissioned for decades).

So my point is, they ought to show something different where police vehicles are concerned. The transport truck, for instance, ought to employ the same aesthetics as the Labors, as a complete system which belongs in the (near) future, not a generic 8-wheeler with a crude scaffold and hydraulics.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Though I'm very impressed by the look of the full-size Ingram in the photos, I found the transport vehicle far less so. Personally, I prefer the look from the anime. Still, looking forward to this movie coming out. It will be interesting to see if it keeps mostly to a serious nature in terms of story and tone, as the animated movies did. As much as I enjoyed the series for their mix of elements, I much more enjoyed the movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2