• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I love Detective Conan; sadly it kind of doesn't work in America. It's too violent to be for kids like in Japan, and it's not really 'adult swim' material. Shame the dub never even got to Ai.

At least Funimation continued to dub past the television episodes. Your right, the series was violent at times and heck, there were times I was on the edge of seat because the story really caught my attention.

But compared to shows like CSI, Case Closed isn't nearly as bad. In CSI, there has been times where there have been instances of pretty heavy action (i.e. gore, rock pelting s, etc.) Yet, while there have been episodes of CSI I stopped watching (too much violence really isn't my favorite, nor is excessive blood) I have yet to find a Case Closed episode that I truly could not watch or actually dislike.

I too would have loved to see the Ai arc and beyond, but that is likely not to happen for a long, long time if ever. Not much that can be done though, I've already bought the DVD's and manga, as well as posters and such.

I also wouldn't mind if AS would bring back Case Closed either, even if it was only several episodes.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
The Adult Swim run was quite long over two years and brought in extraordinarly well ratings. The DVDs sold just as well too.

TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

But not on TV, as where we're mainly discussing.

Well, it's like I always say, if you wanna see the full or original version, just buy the DVDs and you'll most likely get it

enurtsol wrote:

So it's still not OK to edit "crap," yes? Smile
So then it's not OK to edit anything, including N. American animation, yes?

The reason is because even if the edits were practical as in the case of SFII or , there's now gonna be negative backlash from hardcore weaboos about it. When SSII came out, it was a different time when anime was not made for international markets as today. Now, if something is changed it becomes WWIII between the companies and the fans even if the edits are minor

If you permanently edit American animation, no one cares much, if people did care they wouldn't cut out anything or at least release uncut version on the DVDs.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

And a remake of the classic French film (translated) Elevator to the Gallows. Even a remake of Breakfast at Tiffany's, Mickey Rooney aside.

I'm aware of the Elevators to the Gallows remake in Japan. But I used American film because to help me add to my argument about film remake.

Breakfast at Tiffany got a Asian remake. No way, I never even heard of this remake anywhere around the web. Is there any news article or any evidence you can used to back that up? That's the first time I heard of this.

It's not done yet.
They're having problems.

Mickey Rooney's Asian character was racist as heck, but hey, if they wanna remake it, who's gonna complain if they change that from the original, right? Laughing

So this will be the first time South Korea will be remaking an American film. Thanks, enurtsol. I knew at some point South Korea has to remake an American film. I didn't expect Breakfast at Tiffany's ( I thought of Top Gun could work for South Korean remake) I guess the people that keep complaining about US remaking Asian film will stop complaining since Asia is doing the same thing to American film. I guess Asia and US is now fairly balanced on the film remakes, the circle is complete.

Quote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well that, and probably they think Japan should punish US for editing anime by having Japan do the same thing, butcher American cartoon. At least Japan didn't pull a 4kids on South Park or Family Guy.

But FLCL's take on South Park didn't get the point of the show. Laughing

But it got our attention. Very Happy

TopGunman wrote:
The reason is because even if the edits were practical as in the case of SFII or , there's now gonna be negative backlash from hardcore weaboos about it. When SSII came out, it was a different time when anime was not made for international markets as today. Now, if something is changed it becomes WWIII between the companies and the fans even if the edits are minor

If you permanently edit American animation, no one cares much, if people did care they wouldn't cut out anything or at least release uncut version on the DVDs.

Well I sort of agree and understand, but as I said, I really don't like both countries severely editing each other animation to appeal to their audiences. But seeing Japan editing our cartoon was the reason I use this to show Japan is no different from US when they handle foreign animation including American cartoon. I saw Japan renaming character in American cartoon just like how we did for anime in the past. The same thing for opening and closing, Japan change that too for American cartoon (I even found out Japan even replacing the 90's X-men original opening with a anime openingwhen they brought X-men to Japan). So you see I would use this to defend dub in a dub vs sub war (not starting a dub vs sub war, but pointing out why I emphasize on the Japanese editing American cartoon).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8