• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
There's a bit of broken HTML in the article:

Quote:
In 2010, 4Kids Entertainment announced that an unnamed third party company was interested in acquiring the copmpany. href="/news/2010-05-10/4kids-reports-3rd-party-is-interested-in-acquiring-it">sold.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Why is 4Kids so vehemently hated?
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Probably because of the censorship of anime so that parents wouldn't stop funneling their money to 4kids....really, though the other kids show channels have done basically the same thing (like Pokemon's "donuts" that are actually rice balls).

Also, what's wrong with Viz? I like their manga translations a lot. Question
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
shoujogirl wrote:
Probably because of the censorship of anime so that parents wouldn't stop funneling their money to 4kids....
A lot of the censorship is required for broadcast a show aimed at kids in a kids time slot.

US One Piece fans seem to often reserve a special level of hell for 4Kids, since with a better handled launch, aimed at teens rather than kids, One Piece could have been much, much bigger in the US than it is today.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Why doesn't 4Kids just file for Chapter 7? They know that's where they're headed, so why delay the inevitable?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Before I say anything else, I'd like to simply say yes it's finally happening.

But honestly 4kids, I hope you file chapter 7 soon. Although some justice has been served, I'd honestly be extremely glad to see you gone once and for all.

I eagerly hope/look forward to seeing you go chapter 7 sooner than later 4kids.
Berserkenstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
Why is 4Kids so vehemently hated?

"Its infamy came to a head with the bizarre localization and edit of One Piece, which managed to combine the company's worst practices in one show: horrible voice directing, the replacement of all of its music, the removal of a large number of episodes, numerous content edits, and widespread changes to the original script solidified fandom hatred of the company, and remains the darkest mark in its reputation." -tvtropes.org

They were actually so bad with One Piece that they got their license revoked. I hated One Piece after seeing what they did to it, to the point that I can't even watch it even after Funimation got it.

There are a ton of other reasons why people hate them. They typify the type of evil corporation that believe their viewers are "morons" that will watch whatever junk they decide to put out. Check out http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle4qu3vvmd for a bunch of reasons why people despise them.
khadijah1415

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
shoujogirl wrote:
Probably because of the censorship of anime so that parents wouldn't stop funneling their money to 4kids....
A lot of the censorship is required for broadcast a show aimed at kids in a kids time slot.

US One Piece fans seem to often reserve a special level of hell for 4Kids, since with a better handled launch, aimed at teens rather than kids, One Piece could have been much, much bigger in the US than it is today.

Thats true ,I used to watch One Piece on 4Kids and on Toonami when I was a kid. I personally thought it was awesome.I watched it years later with subs and noticed how much they had taken out I watched a dub and sub comparison too and saw why it was so bad in 4Kids. Should have stuck to the original stuff and stop editing obvious stuff, but I was really young so I didn't notice. Sad When people say that they watched it when it was on TV, I always say that wasn't really watching it.
If 4Kids is bankrupt there won't be any shows? Its kinda weird because I have some friends who watch Sonic and 1 friend who just watches Sonic because her parents don't let her watch anime, I got her Sonic friends into anime though. I introduced them to anime and hopefully they will like the anime so much they won't mind 4 Kids now bankrupt. I feel sorry for my friend because now she has nothing to watch, though I'm trying to convince her parents to let her watch anime.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Zilan wrote:
So is this finally the end of 4kids?

4Kids employees, feel free to work for whoever is taking over. The head of the organization is generally the one responsible for crippling the company anyway.

McDonalds? Laughing
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I for one am hoping 4kids comes out of chapter 11 properly restructured. Not because I actually give a damn about them, but because I would hate to lose the entertainment value that is any anime forum thread that pertains to them.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
DREAMS DO COME TRUE Very Happy
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
I don't get it, why file chapter 11 when they basically have nothing left, and their reputation is shot?
If they win the lawsuit, they'll still have the Yu-Gi-Oh! license, and even though the lawsuit itself means that the relationship is dead, it will still cost money to buy out 4Kids rights.

Even a distant hope of seeing some more money outweighs what the current ownership'd get out of Chapter 7, which is diddly and squat.
(IANAL) Pretty sure that unless they counter-sue arguing the license revocation was invalid, the license is permanently lost already since it was a separate action from the lawsuit itself. If they win, they just won't owe any royalties.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
1st of all I'd like to say that I wish that all the employees who work for 4kids will get bigger and better jobs (especially the poor part of the staff who had to read all the hate mail)

also If somewhere, sometime during their runs of Mew Mew and Doremi (and even Winx Club I guess) a little girl or boy became a fan of magical girls because of their decision to license it, then I forgive them for everything they've done and bounce back.
Even though it failed and didn't last long and I dont agree with how it was handled, there was a part of their block that dealt entirely with content for girls when no one else was doing that at the time. So thank you for that 4kids.

thier dubs and edits were terrible though, hopefully if 4kids bounces back (I dont know how...unless a giant resurgence of interest for SonicX comes back because thats all they really have left I think...) or if a new company that focuses on anime content for kids comes out then the decisions they make will be better.

Last edited by kawaiibunny3 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
My first reaction to this news was YAAA! They've been relying too much on old properties lately to fill CW's slot. There's only so many YuGiOh and Sonic X reruns one can stand. I'd rather see Saturday Morning die a respectable death than for it to be dragged out like this.

Although it's only Chapter 11, which is just an excuse not to pay your bills.
unready

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
agila61 wrote:
If they win the lawsuit, they'll still have the Yu-Gi-Oh! license...
(IANAL) Pretty sure that unless they counter-sue arguing the license revocation was invalid, the license is permanently lost already since it was a separate action from the lawsuit itself. If they win, they just won't owe any royalties.

That. The license is already gone. The suit is only about the missing money, so 4Kids just won't have to pay (if it wins, which I can't imagine).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8