• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLightstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ok aside, from the tears of joy. I have ask this. If 4kids was to come out of Chapter 11 and decided they want to go with a new business model that included at the beginning taking feedback and suggestions from the community and they did follow through with said suggestions, would that little gesture take some of the daggers out of their backs they have carried from fans reactions for years.

I think they want to file for chapter 11 because they want save their company just like any company wants to. Of course, with the pending lawsuit adding to their troubles, I think 4kids needs to do an about face to get them out.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

US One Piece fans seem to often reserve a special level of hell for 4Kids, since with a better handled launch, aimed at teens rather than kids, One Piece could have been much, much bigger in the US than it is today.
Agreed!

In addition to complying with the Standards & Practices of Network "A", 4Kids Entertainment went above & beyond the norm for anime americanization. All the while mocking the fans whenever they could ("Vanilla Rice" comes to mind).

In their version of One Piece, they employed extensive dialog re-writes, re-drew entire scenes (and even added new scenes), re-personified characters, re-scored the entire soundtrack, had inept voice direction & casting (David Moo wouldn't have been my choice to play Sanji), they even cut out Laboon the Whale & Little Garden, two chapters of the Baroque Works arc that set up the events in Drum Kingdom & Alabasta (and yet they kept much of the filler material).

They took a potential hit and turned it into mindless, Saturday Morning drivel and because of that (coupled the sheer length of the series, in general) killed any chance of One Piece being popular (or at least marketable) here in the U.S. Oh yeah! Everything they did to One Piece was common practice to all anime they've aquired (including Pokemon).

That, in-a-nutshell, is the reason why the Fanbase despises 4Kids with a burning passion. I'm pretty sure there's more but, this is all I could come up with right now.

Last edited by Dumnerd on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Things look grim for 4Kids. Given the circumstances, I wonder what the future holds in store for them? Maybe a reorg to mirror other strong industry players (like Viz or Funimation)? Maybe closing shop for good?

I'm not educated about the natural course of events in this manner of legal proceedings, so it would be interesting to hear veteran industry opinions or well-informed predictions. ANN may want to look into having an "Opinions" section of articles, I know I would be interested to hear different, solid, researched perspectives on this. There are plenty of seasoned and sophisticated forum-posters, so culling knowledgeable talent shouldn't be too difficult I imagine.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Pretty sure that unless they counter-sue arguing the license revocation was invalid, the license is permanently lost already since it was a separate action from the lawsuit itself.
I don't know whether they have grounds to countersue ~ oddly enough, they have no shared the contract with me, and even if they did, I aint a lawyer either ~ if they win the case, but they obviously have no grounds to countersue if they lose.

Quote:
"Its infamy came to a head with the bizarre localization and edit of One Piece, which managed to combine the company's worst practices in one show: horrible voice directing, the replacement of all of its music, the removal of a large number of episodes, numerous content edits, and widespread changes to the original script solidified fandom hatred of the company, and remains the darkest mark in its reputation." -tvtropes.org
And note that while some of this was poor execution, much of it was absolutely unavoidable when they licensed a Japanese anime aimed at teenagers and young teenagers for broadcast as a US kids show. It was just a grotesque blunder to license that show to try to repurpose it as a kiddies show.

Heck, they'd probably have to do some editing to broadcast a Japanese kiddies show as a US kiddies show, since US broadcast standards for kids programming are very prudish.

Hence the animosity, when people who should have been its natural audience discovered what it was they had been denied as a side effect of remaking it into a kiddies show.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
bayoab wrote:
agila61 wrote:
If they win the lawsuit, they'll still have the Yu-Gi-Oh! license...
(IANAL) Pretty sure that unless they counter-sue arguing the license revocation was invalid, the license is permanently lost already since it was a separate action from the lawsuit itself. If they win, they just won't owe any royalties.

That. The license is already gone. The suit is only about the missing money, so 4Kids just won't have to pay (if it wins, which I can't imagine).

Yeah that's what I thought, could the sonic show really keep them afloat? Also if they did 7 wouldn't it protect them in part from said suit at least $ wise?
unready

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
I'm not educated about the natural course of events in this manner of legal proceedings...

The important part is that Chapter 11 bankruptcy is court-supervised reorganization. That means 4Kids has to be able to convince the court that it can become profitable, if only the court holds off the creditors for a little while. 4Kids still retains control of its assets and operations. The idea is that, by allowing it time to reorganize, it can eventually pay all its debts once it's profitable again.

So the question has to become, how is 4Kids going to convince the court that it can transform itself into a profitable operation when it has no licenses and no one in their right mind would grant them any? Just because it filed for Chapter 11 protection doesn't mean the court is going to grant it Chapter 11 protection.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
That. The license is already gone. The suit is only about the missing money, so 4Kids just won't have to pay (if it wins, which I can't imagine).

No, 4Kids still has the Yu-Gi-Oh! license, and legally does until 2015. They're still planning on releasing the 3D film on DVD in July, and it'll still air on Toonzai for the foreseeable future. They're going to court to settle this dispute. If they lose the license is revoked.

shoujogirl wrote:
Also, what's wrong with Viz? I like their manga translations a lot. Question

Censorship, poor communication with fans, poor decisions in distribution, cancelling tonnes of beloved titles without a reason (despite all dubbing work, etc. being completed on many), ignoring licensed titles for a better part of a decade, and the higher than thou attitude they exude.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Also if they did 7 wouldn't it protect them in part from said suit at least $ wise?
It might protect their creditors ~ as much red ink as they have been bleeding, there'd no ownership stake to defend if they go into liquidation.

Actually, come to think of it, given that they should have a nice long queue of creditors, even if they lose the case, it seems like the plaintiffs just join the queue.

Of course, filing for Chapter 11 is one thing ~ successfully restructuring under Chapter 11 is another. There's no guarantee that their creditors will accept their restructuring plan ~ I guess they've got about four months to get one together that wins a creditor vote.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
4kids should die just for their atrocious one piece dub.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
This seemingly rather significant paragraph in the Yahoo! story isn't mentioned in the summary here:
Quote:
The 4Kids bankruptcy filing automatically “stays” the lawsuit filed by the licensors of the Yu-Gi-Oh! property, Asatsu-DK Inc (“ADK”) and TV Tokyo Corporation, (collectively, the “Licensors”) on March 24, 2011 against 4Kids, until such time as the Court may order otherwise.

They may just be delaying the inevitable, or they may be trying to figure out if they can rearrange whatever assets are left to keep them out of the hands of the Licensors should the latter win. We'd need a good bankrupty attorney to explain the implications of this.
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
At least Al Kahn will be living comfortably:

http://www.lapofluxury.com/al-kahn-buys-bernie-madoffs-nyc-penthouse/

Meanwhile his employees are on the brink of losing their jobs...
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
I hope they don't come out of Chapter 11. I want 4Kids gone; I have for a long time. Their adaptions have been a slap in the face to anime fans everywhere.

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
That's what you get for turning Sanji's cigarette into a lollipop. Hmph.

Oh man I didn't think I would ever defend 4kids, but this is getting very juvenile. I could understand if they did anything directly to hurt the industry, but you're rooting for people to lose their jobs over a cartoon being modified to appeal to a younger audience? Add to that all of the shows people complained about are available completely unedited, including Yugioh by 4Kids themselves.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I could understand if they did anything directly to hurt the industry, but you're rooting for people to lose their jobs over a cartoon a being modified to appeal to a younger audience?

Not even a younger audience, but an audience of the exact same age as its original audience, just in a different country with different standards & practices for children's television.

But that aside, you're completely correct. Wishing harm and misfortune upon what surely must be hundreds of people over a few cartoons, most of which can now be seen intact thanks to the efforts of these same people, is incredibly childish. I know this plea is going to fall on largely deaf ears since the high of schadenfreude is just too much for some to contain, but if you guys are going to post please have something more constructive to say than "whoo, let's celebrate!" or "they deserve to be on the street." I don't care if you hate 4Kids with every fiber of your being, that's no excuse not to discuss this situation with a civil tongue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
agila61 wrote:

US One Piece fans seem to often reserve a special level of hell for 4Kids, since with a better handled launch, aimed at teens rather than kids, One Piece could have been much, much bigger in the US than it is today.
Agreed!

In addition to complying with the Standards & Practices of Network "A", 4Kids Entertainment went above & beyond the norm for anime americanization. All the while mocking the fans whenever they could ("Vanilla Rice" comes to mind).

In their version of One Piece, they employed extensive dialog re-writes, re-drew entire scenes (and even added new scenes), re-personified characters, re-scored the entire soundtrack, had inept voice direction & casting (David Moo wouldn't have been my choice to play Sanji), they even cut out Laboon the Whale & Little Garden, two chapters of the Baroque Works arc that set up the events in Drum Kingdom & Alabasta (and yet they kept much of the filler material).

They took a potential hit and turned it into mindless, Saturday Morning drivel and because of that (coupled the sheer length of the series, in general) killed any chance of One Piece being popular (or at least marketable) here in the U.S. Oh yeah! Everything they did to One Piece was common practice to all anime they've aquired (including Pokemon).

That, in-a-nutshell, is the reason why the Fanbase despises 4Kids with a burning passion. I'm pretty sure there's more but, this is all I could come up with right now.

Although I didn't like 4kids practice on how they handle anime. But I would like to add that without Pokemon, I wouldn't be the anime fan I am today. Pokemon when 4kids had it they kept it faithful although I did suspected that Nintendo might have monitor and ordered 4kids to not do any edit Pokemon the first time 4kids had the anime. Yes, I am aware that later season of Pokemon started to have edits and cultural changes and maybe that's the reason why Nintendo and Pokemon took away 4kids rights to Pokemon. I can understand people anger over Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, and Tokyo Mew Mew. I would agreed Agila61 on the censorship on TV. Also, 4kids putting up uncensored subtitled Yu-Gi-Oh and Sonic X on Youtube was the 2 thing that 4kids realize their mistake. Also don't forget Toonzaki, I think it was good enough to show 4kids can appeal to anime fan despite their past. I believe Funimation use to edit anime (heavily at some point), but yet Funi is considered heroes to anime fans. I like to add that Japan has also done censorship on anime on TV, it was the reason I stop watching fansubs.

The practice of editing and localizing foreign animation is not only an American thing. Europe did the same thing for anime. Also, I don't know how many of you are aware that Japan has also edit (and maybe censor) some of our animation/cartoon, mostly Hanna Barbera cartoon. Yes, Japan has rename some of well-known American cartoon character, they also change the OP for some of our cartoon.

-Take HB's Dastardly And Muttley In Their aircraft. Watch the intro, it's different from the American version when this show was brought over to Japan. Muttley was renamed Ken-Ken in the Japanese dub.

-HB's The Herculoids was known in Japan as Kaijû Ô Tâgan (Monster King Targan). Just like the above show, the intro was change for Japan. Characters name was changed for the Japanese version. Zandor was known as Tagan in Japanese version, Tarra was known as Marmi, Dorno was Kane, Tundro was Tanguro, Zok was Maryu, Igoo was known as Rikira, and Gloop and Gleep in the Japanese version are Hyûhyû and Bôbô.

Also, the only time Japan pull a 4kid-style editing/localization on one of our show was Beast Wars: Transformer. Watch the intro and watch the clip of the dub. When I saw this, it brought back reminders of 4kids editing anime, and also tells me that US is not the only country to cut up foreign animation. Japan can do this also. As a matter of fact, any country can hack up a foreign animation.

My only complaint to the fans of anime and people that don't like anime editing/changes/localization in US: How come anime fans in US complain about anime editing in US, but not a single complaint about Japan editing/censoring our cartoon?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Wishing harm and misfortune upon what surely must be hundreds of people over a few cartoons, most of which can now be seen intact thanks to the efforts of these same people, is incredibly childish.

This. A thousand times over this.

Now, I was never a fan of 4kids' methods, but I will admit that I first got exposure to some of my favorite series (Yu-Gi-Oh!, Kinnikuman (as Ultimate Muscle, which I will also admit was one of their better handled properties), Pokemon, and One Piece) through their versions, for which I will come out and say that I am grateful for, even if I can't stand to sit through any of them now that I've seen the unedited versions (through channels both white and a bit gray in legality, but that's a topic for another day). Even if their censorship practices are infuriating to me, I can't deny that there is/was some genuine talent amongst their staff and it's sad to think that many of them may soon be out of a job.

On the other hand, if the accusations leveled against the company are in fact true, then those involved in the conscious decisions to perpetrate these acts most certainly deserve whatever punishment (most certainly monetary, I can't see anyone doing major time for this sort of thing) is headed their way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8