• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Spoken like a true anime outsider would say about anime. Laughing

(How many times have anime fans say "art is art and art is subjective and regardless no to any censorship." If some say Qwaser is crap, would it still be OK to edit it? Hmmm.............)

Most of anything is disposable entertainment, and that includes anime.

I was talking about the lack of artistic substance in modern American cartoons which is so painfully obvious that they have none. They're 99% ripoffs or remakes of old stuff. Which is why you can't make a business out of them like the Japanese can with their anime. I'm not trying to be biased against American cartoons and make Japan look like the God of animation, but it's clear that the Japanese are doing something right to get loyal fans and keeping them in while American cartoons don't condition the viewers to stay into animation as they get older anymore.

And what's stopping Japanese viewers from doing what we do? Not watch the dub if it's bad or butchered. Problem solved. If they wan to watch a good dub so badly but can't well then TS. Can't do anything. We gotta accept that we can't always get what we want. And at this point, this is all assuming there's even a strong market in Japan for US comics and animation. o the question is: Is there a strong market for US comics and animation in Japan?

I really doubt i

Suppose in some situations they do butcher American cartoons and not release the original English version in the DVDs. What can we do about it anyway? The only person who can have a say in the act of editing is the original creator(s) of the show who feel like their artistic integrity is being violated, and the fans or whatever other nature, example: Yoshiyuki Tomino demanded that an episode of the original Gundam series not be released in the US because he didn't like it and thought it was a pointless one, and they listened. Japanese mangaka demanded their manga unflipped and now they are read from right-to left. So how come American animators don't step in and do the same thing? Simple, American animation is not big business and does not have a fan base like anime does, both domestic and internationally. Therefore, no one cares how American cartoons they are treated elsewhere, and as far as we know, the Japanese generally don't like them anyway with very few exceptions.

And Qwaser is a bad example, there's no way, no matter how much you try, can the contents get passed the censorship and still end up making a show out of what's left. You either like it or you don't, there's no way of changing it, apparently it was popular enough in Japan for them to make a 2nd season.

Last edited by TopGunman on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I was talking about the lack of artistic substance in modern American cartoons which is so painfully obvious that they have none. They're 99% ripoffs or remakes of old stuff. Which is why you can't make a business out of them like the Japanese can with their anime.

Agreed. There's a few good reasons why American animation isn't considered a hobby around the world while anime is. American animation is pretty much creatively dead and just reuses the same genres over and over (children's comedy and superhero action). And before someone complains anime reuses genres too, they have, far, far more genres to use (romance, comedy, action, mindscrewery, etc) so any reuse is going to be less obtrusive. Not to mention people in America don't take animation seriously either way and it's never really used as 'art' like anime can; it's pretty much treated as a 30 minute program to keep your brats quiet while parents relax.

Though actually I do know of two shows that got '4kids butchered' in the Japanese dub. Beast Wars and Transformers Animated. However, considering they're both Transformers cartoons, I'd say that's more Hasbro marketing than anything else; since they didn't really censor for content so much as pushing certain toys more and stuff (i.e. they cut out all the human villain crap in Transformers Animated... which to be honest probably improves on the show Razz )

Quote:
And at this point, this is all assuming there's even a strong market in Japan for US comics and animation. o the question is: Is there a strong market for US comics and animation in Japan?
Yes and no. Last I checked, the most popular cartoon in Japan is Tom and Jerry, and I presume it's because it has pretty much no dialog and is pretty much universal for anyone to watch despite any language barrier. Aside from that, there's not much; and let's be honest, when the most popular thing is a 50 year old show that isn't really a good sign. They air a lot of American cartoons there (there's a Japanese Disney Channel, a Japanese Nickelodeon, etc) but they're really expensive premium channels and not very popular. Usually when a show gains some interest there (for example: Powerpuff Girls and Lilo & Stitch) they remake them and the anime versions become more popular than the original (for good reason)

Really, the only things that do decent in Japan these days are Disney/Pixar movies, which makes sense; they're probably the best things America puts out. But no; there's no real cartoon/comic market in Japan like there are anime/manga markets in the rest of the world. To put it bluntly: why would they care about our cartoons? American animation is pretty much obsolete and overshadowed by Japan's animation.

Though there was Panty and Stocking, which mercilessly made fun of American animation and all it's tropes. That was pretty funny.

Quote:
And Qwaser is a bad example, there's no way, no matter how much you try, can the contents get passed the censorship and still end up making a show out of what's left.
See: the TV broadcast of Qwaser. It was hilarious, to say the least; whole minutes of footage would be a static image with the dialog. Qwaser is awesome, and yeah, it did pretty well, so we get to see the second manga arc animated. I'm looking forward to it.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Transformers Unicron Trilogy was simply unprofessional. They were simply ruined.

And RiD was made more kid-friendly than intended in Car Robots. They swayed too far away from the original versions for no reason, they just made it worse.

Street Fighter II: The animated movie, unlike the anime transformers above, desperately needed a massive overhaul because it was a bad movie, but the dubbing company took on the task of improving it. That's when changes are good, when it's justifiable, professional, AND practical.

TitanXL wrote:
See: the TV broadcast of Qwaser. It was hilarious, to say the least; whole minutes of footage would be a static image with the dialog. Qwaser is awesome, and yeah, it did pretty well, so we get to see the second manga arc animated. I'm looking forward to it.

I didn't watch the TV version, I usually wait for the English dub of an anime before I watch it. And when time has passed and it's very unlikely, DVD rips are out.

Last edited by TopGunman on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Also, Funimation version of Shin-Chan was indeed the way I would watch it. As Justin Cook said on ANNcast, the show in the Japanese version is inappropriate for kids in US, but too kiddish for adult audience. Hence, why the rewrite and changes.

Adult Swim/Williams Street helped in acquiring it too, so it had to be tailored to their taste.

Mother*******. It's bad enough they ruined many of the great jokes in the Japanese version (which could've easily translated into "American" quite easily), but a frelling Cable Network had a hand in the editing process as well?

**** this ****.

Pointless stupid anger at CN. Crayon Shin had to be Americanized. Funimation had NO choice. The license was very expensive at all anyway, and they spent four years trying to pick up the rights. It was worth the trouble.

The jokes were just too Japanese which wouldn't have worked with an western audience and the America pop culture refs were way out of date. Most of the were from the early 1990s wouldn't have been understood by younger viewers.

This is an example of Americanizing done right. Before 2004 thats what Funimation was known for, and for that they get an A-.4Kids has always sucked at this, they get AN F!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Also, Funimation version of Shin-Chan was indeed the way I would watch it. As Justin Cook said on ANNcast, the show in the Japanese version is inappropriate for kids in US, but too kiddish for adult audience. Hence, why the rewrite and changes.

Adult Swim/Williams Street helped in acquiring it too, so it had to be tailored to their taste.

Mother*******. It's bad enough they ruined many of the great jokes in the Japanese version (which could've easily translated into "American" quite easily), but a frelling Cable Network had a hand in the editing process as well?

**** this ****.

I didn't see anything wrong with the Shin-chan rewrite. They made it much funnier. They didn't ruin it.

You've got a point there. In fact, I quite like the Funimation Shin Chan. It's anything but G rated or bland like most of CN's previous work. I even liked the ending theme, but there has yet to be a Funimation song I've yet not to like.

The series was pretty much left the same with the exception of the names and some other minor bits.

Williams Street didn't do any editing. That's up to Funimation.
But Funimation wouldn't have picked up the expensive license until Williams Street pushed them to pick it up, so Adult Swim was the catalyst. Evan Dorkin of Welcome to Eltingville fame became one of the writers.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Pointless stupid anger at CN.

How is it pointless when the end product wasn't funny, or at best, toilet humor that never fit in with the material it was trying to replace?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Spoken like a true anime outsider would say about anime. Laughing

(How many times have anime fans say "art is art and art is subjective and regardless no to any censorship." If some say Qwaser is crap, would it still be OK to edit it? Hmmm.............)

Most of anything is disposable entertainment, and that includes anime.

I was talking about the lack of artistic substance in modern American cartoons which is so painfully obvious that they have none. They're 99% ripoffs or remakes of old stuff.

Like I said, spoken like a true anime outsider talking about anime. Laughing
(Like when someone doesn't watch enough anime.)

TopGunman wrote:

Which is why you can't make a business out of them like the Japanese can with their anime. I'm not trying to be biased against American cartoons and make Japan look like the God of animation, but it's clear that the Japanese are doing something right to get loyal fans and keeping them in while American cartoons don't condition the viewers to stay into animation as they get older anymore.

You have a point here though, but it's more complicated than that.

TopGunman wrote:

And what's stopping Japanese viewers from doing what we do? Not watch the dub if it's bad or butchered. Problem solved.

Japan almost always dub animation.

TopGunman wrote:

So how come American animators don't step in and do the same thing? Simple, American animation is not big business and does not have a fan base like anime does, both domestic and internationally.

When the main The Simpsons voice cast are each earning at least $400K per episode, it's big business. Domestic animation is big business - they earn more than domestic anime. Maybe not many TV series so much internationally, though a lot of them are distributed worldwide because their parent companies own networks all around the world and thus merchandise everywhere. But definitely theatrical animation.

The American animators don't usually step in because they generally want their works to be enjoyed by as much people around the world as possible.

TopGunman wrote:

Therefore, no one cares how American cartoons they are treated elsewhere, and as far as we know, the Japanese generally don't like them anyway with very few exceptions.

That we don't know. Because the American animation otaku over there is as much niche as we are here. On the mainstream, however, generally Disney/Dreamworks/WB/etc. films outdo any anime except Studio Ghibli.

TopGunman wrote:

And Qwaser is a bad example, there's no way, no matter how much you try, can the contents get passed the censorship and still end up making a show out of what's left. You either like it or you don't, there's no way of changing it, apparently it was popular enough in Japan for them to make a 2nd season.

But that wasn't the question. If it's crap, should it still be edited?

Sunday Silence wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

How is it pointless when the end product wasn't funny, or at best, toilet humor that never fit in with the material it was trying to replace?

Maybe not your kind of humor, but it's the kind of humor Williams Street likes, and it did enough to pick up 2 seasons worth of 52 episodes.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

And how much anime is 'enough anime'? because I think 50+ is so much

enurtsol wrote:

You have a point here though, but it's more complicated than that.

That was being black-&-white about the issue.

enurtsol wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

And what's stopping Japanese viewers from doing what we do? Not watch the dub if it's bad or butchered. Problem solved.

But surely the original track is on the DVD's with optional on/off subs. Switch to that and problem solved.

enurtsol wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

So how come American animators don't step in and do the same thing? Simple, American animation is not big business and does not have a fan base like anime does, both domestic and internationally.

When the main The Simpsons voice cast are each earning at least $400K per episode, it's big business. Domestic animation is big business - they earn more than domestic anime. Maybe not many TV series so much internationally, though a lot of them are distributed worldwide because their parent companies own networks all around the world and thus merchandise everywhere. But definitely theatrical animation.

The American animators don't usually step in because they generally want their works to be enjoyed by as much people around the world as possible.

The Simpsons is one of those few exceptions, plus it's been going on for years so everyone knows how the show is, or rather how it should be as it's gotten bad as the years went by. It's not like those almost every other cartoon that's made to keep the brats busy while the parents relax as TitanXL put it. Keep in mind that The Simpsons, Family Guy and whatnot are not made by solely animation studios, Fox makes TV shows, movies, documentaries, and has it's own new station and all the money they get from all those they are able to give The Simpsons people higher salaries than other companies.

enurtsol wrote:

TopGunman wrote:

Therefore, no one cares how American cartoons they are treated elsewhere, and as far as we know, the Japanese generally don't like them anyway with very few exceptions.

That we don't know. Because the American animation otaku over there is as much niche as we are here. On the mainstream, however, generally Disney/Dreamworks/WB/etc. films outdo any anime except Studio Ghibli.

That's not what I'm hearing, I hear that non-Japanese including Disney do so-so business over there.

enurtsol wrote:

TopGunman wrote:

In today's world, no. Just don't license it if it's sure to bomb. Because let's face it, people are so fixated on hearing the original Japanese voices because some people just insist that ALL dubs suck. And anime now is more expensive than it used to be. Business-wise, it's best to avoid these situations.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Maybe not your kind of humor, but it's the kind of humor Williams Street likes, and it did enough to pick up 2 seasons worth of 52 episodes.

And it's not airing anymore, and theirs 672 more episodes to go, so your point?
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

The Americanized Shin Chan not being funny is only soley YOUR opinion. The Adult Swim run was quite long over two years and brought in extraordinarly well ratings. The DVDs sold just as well too.

You seem to be alone in this. I've attended 2 different Alamo screenings with Shin Chan and they all got a kick out of it in its uncut form.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
The Americanized Shin Chan not being funny is only soley YOUR opinion. The Adult Swim run was quite long over two years and brought in extraordinarly well ratings. The DVDs sold just as well too.
Then why did Funi drop it? Confused
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Then why did Funi drop it? Confused

Cartoon Network could only get 52 episodes for broadcast. It also preformed better than Detective Conan which only ran on Adult Swim for 16 weeks.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Then why did Funi drop it? :?

Cartoon Network could only get 52 episodes for broadcast. It also preformed better than Detective Conan which only ran on Adult Swim for 16 weeks.

Which also was quickly dropped eventually. Too bad though, Case Closed is an exceptional show. Really challenges the definition of right and wrong and also makes you think. But it doesn't surprise me that AS dropped the series, it's not laden with crass language, actually has a consistent plot and can stimulate intelligent, if not thought provoking ideas.

Okay yeah, some of the cases are quite gruesome and maybe you could say the series may be somewhat violent. Yet, compared to other AS shows (Boondocks etc.) it's really not that bad.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I love Detective Conan; sadly it kind of doesn't work in America. It's too violent to be for kids like in Japan, and it's not really 'adult swim' material. Shame the dub never even got to Ai.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

And how much anime is 'enough anime'? because I think 50+ is so much

Sorry, I was not talking about anime. I was comparing it to N. American animation.

TopGunman wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

But surely the original track is on the DVD's with optional on/off subs. Switch to that and problem solved.

But not on TV, as where we're mainly discussing.

TopGunman wrote:

The Simpsons is one of those few exceptions, plus it's been going on for years so everyone knows how the show is, or rather how it should be as it's gotten bad as the years went by. It's not like those almost every other cartoon that's made to keep the brats busy while the parents relax as TitanXL put it. Keep in mind that The Simpsons, Family Guy and whatnot are not made by solely animation studios, Fox makes TV shows, movies, documentaries, and has it's own new station and all the money they get from all those they are able to give The Simpsons people higher salaries than other companies.

Don't forget the ad rates and syndication channels. The ads by themselves already pay for the show already. (Which anime could say the same?)

But like I said, The Simpsons is just one example. When something becomes a big hit, like Spongebob, then the merchandise licenses go overdrive. Especially when distributed by a big international media company, then the brand goes global too.

TopGunman wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

TopGunman wrote:

That's not what I'm hearing, I hear that non-Japanese including Disney do so-so business over there.

Nope, Disney is big over there. It has enormous brand recognition. That's why Japan got the first Disneyland outside America. More Japanese know about Disney characters than even anime characters that are big with otaku. You can talk Disney with your everyday Japanese person that you can't do with anime except Ghibli.

TopGunman wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

TopGunman wrote:

In today's world, no.

So it's still not OK to edit "crap," yes? Smile
So then it's not OK to edit anything, including N. American animation, yes?

Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

And it's not airing anymore, and theirs 672 more episodes to go, so your point?

So what if it's not airing anymore; so what if there's still 1 million episodes left. Many series in Adult Swim don't even last as long or air as many episodes. For what it did, it did well enough.

TitanXL wrote:
I love Detective Conan; sadly it kind of doesn't work in America. It's too violent to be for kids like in Japan, and it's not really 'adult swim' material. Shame the dub never even got to Ai.

Yeah, Williams Street was having trouble getting ads for it. It's a difficult show for what a prospective ad-slot buyer may want from it. (What kind of products would you advertise during it?) And the kid characters... I'm not sure Ai would have helped - she's not a Faye character.... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8