• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Antique Bakery

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Man, my scratch & sniff don't work anymore Sad That's not why I bought them though.

brand wrote:
So classicalzawa has been trying to get me to read this for a while. I've just had a lot on my plate. After this though, I was like fine, I'll order the damn books.

I feel so accomplished :3 I kinda do like convincing people to spend money, and this is by no means wasted money Razz Just a word of warning, to anyone just starting off on Yoshinaga, you won't want to stop. Like, ever.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this manga, I got it on recommendation from a friend of mine who said it wasn't too heavy on the BL. Wound up collecting the whole series too, it's good on all counts, it really hits the right chords when it comes to humor, characterization, dramatic tension and pathos. It's very human and mature in many respects, and perfectly balances hilarity with a healthy dose of realism.

Seems to lean more seinen/josei than BL from my recollection, though.

classicalzawa wrote:
Man, my scratch & sniff don't work anymore

Oh yeah, I forgot about those! *runs off and checks* haha, wow, it still works, smells like lime Very Happy
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Ooooo, another title I recognize/read! My library has all four volumes and I got through three of them over winter break (can't wait until I can get home and finally read the last one) and had the sudden urge to go back pastries (and my mom took advantage of that by having me bake cookies instead). Didn't even realize she also did Ooku (which I had previously read) until it also popped up in the library catalog, has she done many other series?

Oh, and I saw Yen Press was running a competition on Twitter the other day for the first volume of Bride's Story and I actually knew what it was from this column!
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
So classicalzawa has been trying to get me to read this for a while. I've just had a lot on my plate. After this though, I was like fine, I'll order the damn books. So Jason, you keep making me spend my money because this is the second or third time I've done this after reading one of the House of a 1000 Manga articles.

Mwa ha ha ha ha! My master plan is succeeding!
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Seems to lean more seinen/josei than BL from my recollection, though.

I'd call it seinen/josei, but it's got some BL elements. Although when I read it, I hadn't read any BL, and I don't think that I missed any in-jokes or anything. I'd call it a classy example of biseinen -- just a manga that happens to star beautiful men.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Fumi Yoshinaga is one of those mangaka whose name alone will sell me on a title at this point. Of her 25 English releases (so far, as Ooku is still running) I've got 20. I'm only missing the 4 volumes of Flower of Life, and Garden Dreams; the former because I was slow on the uptake of her non-BL stuff and now, as was mentioned, the price for v04 is ridiculous; and the latter because... wait, why don't I own that? Time to fix that.

As for my favorites? Even though, as many have pointed out, she doesn't work strictly within the BL genre, when she does it's some of the best BL around. So my absolute favorite is Gerard & Jacques, with Ichigenme..., Moon & Sandals, and Lovers in the Night (along with its prequel/related stories in the Truly Kindly anthology) running close behind. If you enjoy Antique Bakery but wouldn't mind seeing romance (and some sex) added to the mix, I highly recommend these.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
everapril

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
One of the few manga that actually brought me to tears while reading it. I didn't expect to like it when I picked it up, but it really grabs you.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Mwa ha ha ha ha! My master plan is succeeding!

My books came in yesterday. I figured I'd read one before I went to bed. Uh, bad idea. I ended up reading them all back to back and staying up way to late (thus making me really tired for work today, lol). OMG, it was so cute, it made me was to squee. I really liked it, a lot. It totally featured two my favorite character archetypes too (The adorable big dumb guy, and the reformed delinquent). You can consider me a Fumi Yoshinaga convert.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2