• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ender's Game Author Praises Cowboy Bebop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I do wonder who you would feel it would be appropriate to recommend a title to non-anime fans in some small column of a conservative newspaper.

Someone with a grasp of the basic tenets of grammar. (See underlined text) Wink

Where Orson Scott Card, or any person with fame levies their unsubstantiated opinions does not matter. The principle of him making such sweeping statements that have a great risk of doing harm to other franchises is what I take issue with.

He could post it on his blog, and I'd have the same issue. Though his blog probably has more viewers than this paper, so I'd be more upset with it.

As to your text I made bold, more political stereotyping is not what this thread needs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Daryl: In the defense of those attendees, Mardock Scramble hasn't gotten much buzz, even in Japan. And the title sounds like it's tailor-made for hard sci-fi geeks, and not general fans. So I do think there's still a market for SF here, or people wouldn't be buying Makoto Shinkai's stuff and/or TTGL.

Echo:
Quote:
Shoot, the Civil War, American Westerns, or even Outlaw Star could be said to be more inspirational than CB. Even if CB were inspiration to Whedon, the aforementioned others would clearly be moreso.

You seem to forget the war back-story in Bebop.

Quote:
Though I wonder why is Orson Scott Card levying his opinion on CB, edifying it above other works of Science Fiction? He does not seem particularly qualified to make such statements.

Um, he's won Hugo and Nebula Awards. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Cowboy Bebop has next to nothing to do with history.

Yes, that's why one of our shuttles was on the show. Rolling Eyes
Chunx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll withhold my full thoughts until i see Firefly and Planetes myself, but get this: if Civil War influence is that heavy as you mention in the show, then the target audience is clear. They resonate with it. I'm afraid I may not be since I'm from a tiny island on the other side of the Pacific. Perhaps that where the difference lies, what you see as great because it anchors itself with history may not have the same effect elsewhere. Bebop doesn't and I love it for that. Until I see Firefly and judge, I'll defend Bebop to the last.
Matriel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:
thenextday wrote:
Orson Scott Card is a bro. Ender's Game is great.

Because it's going to come up eventually... I love the Ender's Game series. They're some of my favorite books. But... I'm not really a fan of Card himself anymore due to some of his political views that he's become very vocal about. Mad

Quote:
In 2006, one day before the 2006 midterm elections in the United States, Card wrote an opinion piece for RealClearPolitics, in which he (while being a Democrat) encouraged voters to support the Republicans.[18] In the same article he voiced strong condemnation of any government that recognized gay marriage stating, "Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition..." In 2009, Card became a member of the board of directors of the National Organization for Marriage, a group that seeks to prevent the legalization of same-sex marriage.[19]

source: http://www.answers.com/topic/orson-scott-card

Shocked Yeah...he just lost a huge amount of respect from me as well. Thanks, xBTAx, for sharing that or else I would have been completely ignorant of his activism.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Chunx wrote:
I guess I'll withhold my full thoughts until i see Firefly and Planetes myself....

First a reminder: Firefly was an American live-action television show by Joss Whedon, they guy who brought us Buffy the Vampire Slayer, among other things.

It's an interesting comparison, especially considering Tim Maughan recently stated (last week's ANNcast) his dislike for Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams creations as soap operas. FWIW, I'd agree about Buffy, Angel, and Lost, but I thought Firefly was pretty good and avoided that trap. Serenity was stupid, but for different reasons

Firefly was episodic SF, very much, I think, in the spirit of the original Star Trek. Cowboy Bebop was the same in that regard. So the comparison is interesting, although I think Firefly and Bebop have little in common with each other, other than their series structures.

I am a bit surprised that this thread isn't filled with a typical Firefly-was-great vs. Firefly-was-crap spam war, but maybe this is the wrong web site for anyone to even remember it.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
Matriel wrote:
xBTAx wrote:
Because it's going to come up eventually... I love the Ender's Game series. They're some of my favorite books. But... I'm not really a fan of Card himself anymore due to some of his political views that he's become very vocal about. :x

Yeah...he just lost a huge amount of respect from me as well. Thanks, xBTAx, for sharing that or else I would have been completely ignorant of his activism.

Basically he's a really religious Mormon. You'd never know that from reading his fiction. I don't particularly agree with his personal politics, but that hardly detracts from his work or his views on, frankly, things that have nothing whatsoever to do with his politics, like, oh, Cowboy Bebop.
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
CB is def a great anime, and prob the most accessible to western audiences, especially if your a fan of scifi.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joss Whedon had watched a bunch of Cowboy Bebop and Trigun on Adult Swim back in the day when he came up with Firefly.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the article, Card narrates his own relationship with anime, which he says he was not interested in until his daughter became an "anime snob."

How is "anime snob" defined? Anyone who likes anime and talks about it,or does it refer to an elitist anime fan? Considering how Card polarizes issues, I'm not sure.

Shoot, considering how much of a rabid pro-Union history buff he is, I'm surprised he can even watch Firefly. He holds the Union to the same standards that anime purists hold Japan--they can do no wrong. Orson Scott Card watching Firefly should thus be like a sub purist watching a "Fosterized" ADV dub.

Also, we remember what happened the last time a famous writer got into an animated show due to his daughter, right? We got the Last Airbender movie! If nothing else, that precedent is cause for alarm.

Chunx wrote:
if Civil War influence is that heavy as you mention in the show, then the target audience is clear.
No, that's the beauty of it. Joss Whedon was able to incorporate themes which would only appeal to a specific audience, and made them entertaining to all. The American Civil War doesn't have to mean anything to you for the show to appeal to you--the show merely takes timeless themes from the war and makes a great show out of them. There are no direct references to the war, nor is any war knowledge a prerequisite. You could easily see the show and love it without ever knowing anything about the war--I know people who have done so. War knowledge is just a little icing on the cake. Similar, in a sense, to how Card's Mormon faith-influenced books can appeal to non-Mormons as this thread shows.
Quote:
what you see as great because it anchors itself with history may not have the same effect elsewhere

I don't see it as great because it anchors itself with history--instead I see a show which is great, that embodies history. If you enjoyed Ender's Game and are not a history fan, you could enjoy Firefly despite lack of interest in history, as Ender's Game heavily samples history. The best works generally do.

If you've seen Excel Saga, it's the same thing as seeing a hilarious bit in the show but not knowing what inspired it. If you've seen Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers or other like sentai, the Municipal Force Daitenzen in Excel Saga means more to you, but it's still hilariously awesome even without having seen those shows.
Quote:
I'll defend Bebop to the last.

To each his own. Though on a note, Planetes is completely different from CB. It's the closest I've seen anime come to hard science fiction. It's a 26 episode long narrative, with character development and continuity. You won't find a series of vaguely linked stand-alone action episodes, as you would with Bebop. Just so you know, before you dive in with false expectations.

(IMO Stephen Foster is amazing as a director. I tried Gawl in Japanese. I tried Ghost Stories in Japanese. I ended up watching in English and enjoying an otherwise bland show.)

EDIT: There's a modicum of merit in comparing CB to Firefly, but Trigun? That's bogus. Trigun was an inferior show to both CB & Firefly, and Outlaw Star. Furthermore, Trigun has nothing to do with Firefly at all. Next you'll be saying that Whedon's Titan AE was obviously influenced by Trigun or Bebop simply because they're all animated.
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

EDIT: There's a modicum of merit in comparing CB to Firefly, but Trigun? That's bogus. Trigun was an inferior show to both CB & Firefly, and Outlaw Star. Furthermore, Trigun has nothing to do with Firefly at all. Next you'll be saying that Whedon's Titan AE was obviously influenced by Trigun or Bebop simply because they're all animated.

The future western setting, clothing, and weaponry are pretty similar. So um yeah I have no idea where your coming from.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
Never really liked Cowboy Bebop. Just wanted to get that out there. I think there are some fair criticisms of it, the plot is too loose, the character development is weak, and there is too much repetition in it.

Card, on the other hand, I love a lot of his early work. Ender's Game is classic sci-fi, and the Worthing Saga is a really nice religious commentary. I have to say that his latter works really suck. The problem is two-fold: One, Card is not a good sci-fi author. He is great when dealing human emotions and interactions, but when it comes to science, well, I've seen Star Trek episodes with a better grasp on science than him. Secondly, instead of coming up with new ideas, he constantly returns to the same old shtick, rehashing and retelling the same stories over and over again.

/Also, it's hard to take Mormons seriously after you learn they wear magic underpants.

//Also, wouldn't an 'anime snob' dislike popular shows like Cowboy Bebop and instead prefer obscure titles like Akazukin Chacha and Daughter of 20 Faces and Shion no Ou and...Oh God, I'm an anime snob! I've become a monster!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:44 am Reply with quote
Orson Scott Card wrote:

When I first saw the word "anime" on a schedule at a science fiction convention, I thought it was French – ah-NEEM. It was with utter scorn that a fan (of anime, not of my work) told me it was Japanese, and it was pronounced AH-ni-may.

Hahahahahaha................. that's so like anime fans! Laughing
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:22 am Reply with quote
I'm curious to know what the handful of shows are that he considers better than CB. It would be interesting to see if I agreed with him or not.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
With the "$400 new" quip, I'd guess "anime snob" equates to "buys the R2J discs because they have better audio and picture quality".
The World We Know

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
It's awesome to see an icon of science fiction praise Cowboy Bebop so adoringly. It's almost at the level of Spielberg praising Miyazaki's work, and maybe even more significant, since Miyazaki is established here in the U.S.

Cowboy Bebop is brilliant, and almost 10 years after I first watched it, I can say that nothing I've seen in anime has surpassed it. How perfectly it wove together music, action and nods to many, many genres, while combining fantastic and moving character development episodes with fun and unique "episodic" episodes! It's masterful storytelling that excels in so many ways.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
The Nagabuchi wrote:
Having said that, I always find it funny (if not a little sad) that the show that the West holds up as an example of the penultimate anime is a title that is pretty much unknown of in Japan. The only people I've ever met who knew Bebop were in a Japanese Yoko Kanno fan circle.

Something I've wondered about for a while: Take any anime series that's been released in the US. Divide the amount of revenue it's gotten from the US by the amount it's gotten from Japan. What anime would result in the highest number?

Bebop, for sure. The Big O. FLCL. GoLion and Dairugger XV, if taken together. Kyatto Ninden Teyandee, maybe? I have no idea how you'd come at a figure for Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeada. Speed Racer? Ghost in the Shell?

Anime World Order wrote:
But here's the thing: about half of the anime fans I encounter today, in 2011, have never seen Cowboy Bebop at all. I explained why that is in more detail here, but the short of it is that 13 years is longer than a lifetime in the realm of anime fandom. Something is "old" if it's "from the last season." People don't really have time to go back to things from "all the way back in the 90s." It's been this way for a while; most of the people who have seen Cowboy Bebop are ones who saw it several years ago, when it was "new."

I got into anime as a thing in 2006. Since then, I have watched and thoroughly enjoyed Gunbuster, Evangelion, Escaflowne, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Serial Experiments Lain, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, about half each of Bebop and Nadesico (I'll rent the rest of the DVDs and/or check them out from the library eventually), Macross Plus, Giant Robo, Perfect Blue, the Ghost in the Shell movies, the first Project A-ko movie, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Akira, Royal Space Force, the unedited SDF Macross series, SDF Macross: Do You Remember Love?, and what I believe to be the oldest anime I've ever seen, the Gundam 0079 movie trilogy.

Don't worry. There are still those among us who respect the classics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3