• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-11-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Zac, can you answer my question? I don't think it should be ignored as it directly involves "Hey, Answerman!" and this is the "Hey, Answerman!" thread.

You were serious?

I like kittens. I put pictures of them in my column because I think it's amusing and people like them.

I'm not a dog person.
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

Zac, can you answer my question? I don't think it should be ignored as it directly involves "Hey, Answerman!" and this is the "Hey, Answerman!" thread.

You were serious?

I like kittens. I put pictures of them in my column because I think it's amusing and people like them.

I'm not a dog person.

Were you bitten by a dog at a young age?

Kittens are nice but I prefer panthers but seeing how panthers aren't your normal house pet...kittens will do just fine. Laughing

Though I like dogs better specially now since my new cat plays a bit too much and scratchs everything in site...drives me nuts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Great timing on "The Enemy's the Pirates!" question - I was looking that up just today. The music was done by Air Pavilion, specifically, from their 1989 album "Kaizoku" ("Pirates").

LET THE HUNT COMMENCE
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Great timing on "The Enemy's the Pirates!" question - I was looking that up just today. The music was done by Air Pavilion, specifically, from their 1989 album "Kaizoku" ("Pirates").

LET THE HUNT COMMENCE

It'll be awesome if some people are actually able to find this series and the OVAs and post the info. Lots of closet or forgotten fans will probably pop out of the woodwork about it.

I for one didn't get into anime early enough to watch this series, but I know about how that whole nostalgia thing goes. Hope those old fans will be able to find that series' OVA again.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:12 am Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with cats/kittens, although I've always contended that they're the pet for people that don't really want to put the effort into raising a pet. Cats just sort of do what they do, dogs are attention seeking companions (which in turn leads many cat nazis to proclaim that dogs are stupid and cats are super intelligent, which is laughable. I once did a litmus test for a class on my 3 month old border collie puppie and my full grown cat, and the dog demonstrated far superior problem solving skills in each scenario. Just because something is aloof and misanthropic doesn't make it super intelligent.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
I once did a litmus test for a class on my 3 month old border collie puppie and my full grown cat, and the dog demonstrated far superior problem solving skills in each scenario.

A litmus test? Of pH?

I always like to quote Dr. Louis J. Camuti in his famous book, All My Patients Are Under the Bed.

Imagine that you were sitting on a bench in a park, enjoying afternoon sunshine. Suddenly, three men-in-black grabbed you and locked you up, then brought you in an almost empty room, with three wooden boxes and a banana hanging on the ceiling. Then you hear a voice from the speaker: "Try to reach the banana under the ceiling. If you can reach that banana, we'll offer you more."

Would you follow his orders? More likely, you'd yell back: "Who the f**k are you guys?! What have I done?!"

And that's how cats would think when they were brought to a test ground.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
sinistertaco wrote:
I once did a litmus test for a class on my 3 month old border collie puppie and my full grown cat, and the dog demonstrated far superior problem solving skills in each scenario.

A litmus test? Of pH?

I always like to quote Dr. Louis J. Camuti in his famous book, All My Patients Are Under the Bed.

Imagine that you were sitting on a bench in a park, enjoying afternoon sunshine. Suddenly, three men-in-black grabbed you and locked you up, then brought you in an almost empty room, with three wooden boxes and a banana hanging on the ceiling. Then you hear a voice from the speaker: "Try to reach the banana under the ceiling. If you can reach that banana, we'll offer you more."

Would you follow his orders? More likely, you'd yell back: "Who the f**k are you guys?! What have I done?!"

And that's how cats would think when they were brought to a test ground.

They'll be interested in whats going on, no doubt about that but I'm sure dogs will too. And it also depends on breed as well... I don't know much about cat breed but I do know more about dog breeds and know they all have different characteristics....like a german sheperd is very loyal and listens if you give the right tone, so if those 3 men told the the german sheperd to eat the banana in the right tone it probably would do so but if it didn't get the message correctly it wouldn't bother listenning.
Chows very defensive, and skiddish against new people, if a chow has become homeless here in America if they are only a year old they will be put to sleep because chows at even that age will be too skiddish and defensive that it could hate and attack anyone but their original owners that decides to come near it(and training them to do otherwise is very hard.) Golden retrievers very curious dogs they'd probably act like the cat you are describing with the banana. Poddles IIRC can be very stubborn without proper training, so three men grabbing and telling them to get a banana probably wouldn't work.

So, I don't think we can some up as to cats are all this and dogs are all that. Just not going to happen. If you went by each individual breed in all the combination which could take a very long time I would except it(even though not all cases are true because of rare times when a dog even without being trained acts differently to what is concider normal to their breed) but puting them just cats and dogs is just simple a one tracked mind.

EDIT: Also, for an answer of What I would do....I'd probably yell out I'm hungray so I'll take the banana but give me some god D*mn explaining after I'm done. Because I do rather like bananas. And after the eating and I'm full then comes the who the F are you..I probably wouldn't say what have I done as it's too lame and wouldn't get through even to the most moranic person out there. I'd probably ask why the hell would you take me here and feed me bananas when all I do is [a job].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Acolyte

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
Ah, the knowledge that there is a Kino no tabi movie out there and the sad probability that it will not be licenced is like an itch that can't be scratched - it irritates the hell out of me!
Having just bought the KNT box-set thinpak I can only cry at the thought of not (yet?!) being able to own the movie Anime cry
As for the kittens, uh, it's Zac's column, he can post (pretty much) what he likes; just scroll real fast past that part if it bugs you. That said, I've got one I need to send in, it's a kitten with a sniper rifle looking out a window - I call it "Sosuke's cat".
afnj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
There's nothing wrong with cats/kittens, although I've always contended that they're the pet for people that don't really want to put the effort into raising a pet. Cats just sort of do what they do, dogs are attention seeking companions (which in turn leads many cat nazis to proclaim that dogs are stupid and cats are super intelligent, which is laughable. I once did a litmus test for a class on my 3 month old border collie puppie and my full grown cat, and the dog demonstrated far superior problem solving skills in each scenario. Just because something is aloof and misanthropic doesn't make it super intelligent.)

I agree with you mostly, and I'm a cat person. Dogs are more intelligent than cats but my problem with dogs isn't the dogs it's the owners. A lot of dog owners don't put in that extra effort needed for a dog and I've seen some purdy rotten dogs as result of it (some dogs I feel sorry for). But cats are different, they are far more independent than dogs, and low maintenance. They can be just as attention seeking as dogs. My cat will "chat" with me all day, and struts his stuff when guests come over. Dogs are smarter, but dumb can be cute.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:

Wow, you're right, that completely uncontrolled anecdotal evidence totally proves that dogs are smarter than cats

Quick, someone call Harvard
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
hmm... talking about dogs, according to a test, afgan hounds are the least smartest dogs(border collies were the smartest)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
Dogs know they have to try harder, Cats know they don't. Besides science has proven that humans don't adopt cats. Cats adopt humans. It's not uncommon for any cat to have more than one human address to live at. Wink
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
sinistertaco wrote:
Dogs know they have to try harder, Cats know they don't. Besides science has proven that humans don't adopt cats. Cats adopt humans. It's not uncommon for any cat to have more than one human address to live at. Wink

most dogs are more willing to please their owner than cats
some prefer praise over things like food
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
sinistertaco wrote:

Guess you didn't read my post on breeds. You can't generalize that cats are one thing and dogs are this thing. Each breed in a dog and I'm pretty sure a cat as well are different. I have two cats one will scratch,claw, and bite anything it gets a hold of and won't listen to a god darn word I say...yet knows she'll get food and will beg for it. While My other cat..he's completely kind(Won't scratch or bite people), I call he comes, I tell him not to do something he will stop, and he'll won't beg for food. See the difference in the two. Though I don't know the breeds of the cats I never bother knowing the only type of cat breed I know of is Siameze cats(pretty sure I spelled it wrong).

You said dogs know they have to try harder. Nope, like I said IIRC poodles or a certain kind of poodle tend to be very stubborn when not trained correctly. Meaning it won't try for anything to get food.

The same with what you said about cats.My cats I'd use as an example, One won't do anything right because she knows she'll get food anyway. While the other one is willing to listen and cooperate to a very good extent.(Every once in a while he'll claw my couch but I say stop he stops). But he seems to think if you do good you'll get food. Do you see what I'm trying to say, there's different kind of dogs and cats and each one has different characteristics. Saying just dogs are smarter then cats or vice-versa or a cats lazy and a dog is willing to work more is completely ignorant to the facts that each type of dog and cat has certain personalities where some can be smarter then the other but does not hold up in every case.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:01 am Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
DO YOU DARE CLIMB THE QUOTE ZIGGURAT?!
[quote
Cats just sort of do what they do, dogs are attention seeking companions (which in turn leads many cat nazis to proclaim that dogs are stupid and cats are super intelligent, which is laughable. I once did a litmus test for a class on my 3 month old border collie puppie and my full grown cat, and the dog demonstrated far superior problem solving skills in each scenario. Just because something is aloof and misanthropic doesn't make it super intelligent.)

Cats vary in intelligence just like any other evolutionally advanced species of mammal (humans, dogs, monkeys, ferrets, etc.), both from breed to breed and especially between individuals.

Your experiment is CRAP, by the way, because it compares only two subjects, both of whom are from different species. There is no control, nothing to compare them to except each other. All it proves is that under those specific conditions, that particular dog reacted in what you percieved to be a more intelligent manner than that particular cat. Also, you provided to specific data nor an exact, repeatable procedure that you followed. A scientist with the least bit of respectability or commong sense would declare your completely anecdotal, vague, controlless and poorly set-up small scale experiment's listed results, and your apparent conclusion based on these results to be: Not Worth $H17.

In other words, it proves absolutely nothing, and if you got any kind of passing grade for that experiment, your teacher should be smacked for giving you a bad impression of how scientific and experimental research is carried out.

Ah, but as usual, Zac is far more eloquently succint than I:

Zac wrote:
Wow, you're right, that completely uncontrolled anecdotal evidence totally proves that dogs are smarter than cats

Quick, someone call Harvard

Laughing ! I totally love you right now, Zac. Truly I do.

Also, re: "dogs = 'attention seeking companions' "

Wrong way of putting it.

Dogs are pack animals, and have a built-in social structure wherein there is an "alpha", then a "beta", etc. How they deal with this bit of biological programming varies between individuals, but it usually consists of one of the following amongst domesticated breeds (so says, at least, my mother, who boarded and trained dogs for over ten years and is a long-time dog lover):

A.) They attempt once or twice maybe, if at all, to gain power in the relationship with their human, fail (if they tried at all), and then happily accept their role as "not the alpha". They are subordinate, but NOT stupid, no more than a Private is inherently stupider than a Colonel just because of who has more power and who is willing to give up their own power for the other. (A brilliant example of this is Service Dogs, used by people with disabilities such as blindness or paralysis. They must be utterly subordinate in all cases where following orders would not endanger their owner, but smart enough to recognize when following orders would endanger their owner and how to avoid following said orders, as well as a number of other things. Hundreds of commands, in fact, at the very least.)

B.) They try a few times to gain control, succeed, and lord over their owners. Again, this doesn't make them brighter or stupider or anything, not even compared to other dogs; it just means that their owner has no concept of how to control a dog and/or doesn't care that their dog controls THEM.

C.) They continually engage in battle with their owners over who is in power, simular to how in the wild, dogs or wolves will fight over the position of "alpha" in a pack. Sometimes they win, sometimes it's an eternal draw or goes back and forth, depending on the owner. Again, doesn't mean they're smart or stupid; they just don't like being controlled, and are possibly aggressive.

Quote:

Guess you didn't read my post on breeds. You can't generalize that cats are one thing and dogs are this thing. Each breed in a dog and I'm pretty sure a cat as well are different. I have two cats one will scratch,claw, and bite anything it gets a hold of and won't listen to a god darn word I say...yet knows she'll get food and will beg for it. While My other cat..he's completely kind(Won't scratch or bite people), I call he comes, I tell him not to do something he will stop, and he'll won't beg for food. See the difference in the two. Though I don't know the breeds of the cats I never bother knowing the only type of cat breed I know of is Siameze cats(pretty sure I spelled it wrong).

It's spelled Siamese, for future reference. Wink Also, Siamese are really more of a sub-breed of the Oriental breed.

Siamese and other Oriental breed cats are typically seen as the most (or else one of the most) vocal and outgoing of all the breeds of cat, are usually inquisitive and fairly intelligent. However, even the truly smart ones will often have a lot of "stupid moments". They can also be friendly to everyone no matter what, or they can attach themselves to a single person. They can be delibrate, bratty trouble-makers or cats that happen to get in a lot of pickles due to their curiousity. Actually, they're usually slightly bratty and bossy. They are cool and they damn well know it. Laughing That's how they tend to act.

That's the only breed I know much about about, because my family has a history with it. In any case, even with all the above-listed traits, sometime an Oriental just won't act "Oriental". Cats are much like people, I've always thought; a lot of them are kinda friendly, a lot of them are kinda shy, some are psycho or paranoid, most of them are kinda selfish, some are princesses and others are just downright sweet to you... and ALL of them will have their quirks. Also, they're often like this despite the mental associations one might make with their breed, much like humans except humans aren't to the best of my knowledge bred for specific traits, at least not on purpose or with anyone's approval (yet). Wink

I'm quite sure, even though I'm not much of a dog person, that they are the same. Because I have known a lot of dogs that scared me (it didn't help that I tend to get nervous around animals that I'm not used to dealing with Rolling Eyes ), a lot of dogs that I was completely neutral to, and at least one absolute sweetheart that I can't resist cuddling like crazy every time I see her, despite my non-dog-fan status. Wink I'm sure every breed will have its tendencies, and that for every breed, there are numerous exceptions to those tendencies.

In other words, I agree. Wink

Quote:

Saying just dogs are smarter then cats or vice-versa or a cats lazy and a dog is willing to work more is completely ignorant to the facts that each type of dog and cat has certain personalities where some can be smarter then the other but does not hold up in every case.

Exactly. That and differences between individuals.

In the end, I don't care. I still think myself as well that the kitten photos are cute.

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3