• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2013 - Sentai Filmworks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

What is to worry about Sentai being smart with their money by not spending $120,000-150,000 (my estimate for what dubbing 12 episodes cost) in dubbing series that may not produce enough sales to recoup the production costs and turn a profit.

I've very sure that figure isn't accurate for Sentai.

That would be the cost for a Funimation, Aniplex USA and Viz Media dub (who will take their time)

It shouldn't be news to anyone that Sentai rushes most of their dubs and have them completed in a few weeks when other companies would take a few months.

And because of that there's usually some pronunciation mistakes and random recasts in some Sentai dubs

For Sentai I'm pretty sure you can slash that number in half.

And since they've gone on the record saying that other markets (e.g. Australia and the UK) will help pay for a dub you can probably slash the number again.

So in the end I'd guess Sentai is only spending about $10,000-$20,000 out of their own pocket; basically the budget most R1 studios pay for an entire episode.

Of course a studio like the infamous Arvintel probably works on a budget even smaller than that and the results show...

I just hope that if Sentai does license both seasons of Kaiji it will get some special treatment and they'll take their time dubbing it
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
So in the end I'd guess Sentai is only spending about $10,000-$20,000 out of their own pocket; basically the budget most R1 studios pay for an entire episode.

Wuh.... that doesn't make sense. Sure, they may spend less than the typical $10k per ep, but there's no way it can be that low. If that were the case, why would they even try this out with 3 titles right off the bat? They will loose some dub fans. And like you mentioned about international licensing partners in English markets, why would they risk loosing that too? The difference in profits to make speculation worthwhile must surely be greater
idkAlan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
I'm actually excited that Sentai is planning a sub-only BD release for "So I Can't Play H" because this gives me hope for Sentai to consider giving the To Love-Ru series the BD treatment especially TLR: Darkness.

Also I'm happy that Sentai decided to dub "Say I love You", though it wasn't much of a shock as Sentai was happily announcing the success of the series during the simulcast and at Anime Expo I spoke with Christian Lopez (their marketing director) and first told me that they did have the BD rights and were planning on releasing the series for either January or February, so it did came as a shock for me that they speed up the release date

While I have no problem with a sub-only DVD release, as I own a few, I do hate the visual quality of the subtitles especially Sentai's subs.
As Sentai's subs look a bit blotchy and tend to be a distracting, as they take a lot of the attention/room from the scenes.
While their BD subs are superb and are much better visually so I for one am happy with their "new" project.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
When buying dubbed Sentai BDs, I always wonder if I should have gone the DVD route but since I don't buy Sub/dub only releases anyway, the whole grand sub-par BD experiment won't bother me a-tall.

What does bother me is that "Humanity has Declined" or "Pet girl of Sakurauso" aren't getting dubbed.

What really bugs the hell out of me is that Btoom! {never mind the show, what's up with the idea of a FPS game where you only use bombs?!} and "Say I love you" are getting dubbed instead. Not my kind of shows, I mean, I like good ones...

Well, at least there's Girls Und Panzer as well as the concluding episodes of Kokoro Connect. And here I thought they were getting better with the whole dubbing aspect of merchandising shows.

And I don't see NSA is a Sub only model if they're finally thinking about branching out into the realm of dubs. Viz is releasing shows they've simulcast dubbed {ulterior motive as they have their own network and Sentai doesn't. Oh wait, what's that?} and I don't even have to mention the elephant in the room here...

One thing I do love: Just like "Every car is a pinto" {meaning every car blows up upon a rear end collision}, "every dub is a Foster." In the end, I don't care about dub quality {I own American movies in English with worse dubs then Seraphim could ever dream of doing}; To me, 1 subbed/dubbed series is equal to 2 subbed only releases. Sentai, why not try charging more than an additional 10 dollars MSRP for an a dub?

As long as it's not AoA style plundering, I say go for it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much agree, with NISA finally taking a second look at dubbing some titles I was hoping it was going to be even more rare again for shows not to get a dub (outside of some extremely niche shows from Sentai or NISA continuing to be sub-only).

And good point about the implication that Foster is the only guy doing dubs at Sentai since we also see Ayres etc. directing dubs over there, plus not all of Foster's dubs are equal and Sentai has put out some very nice dubs.

Humanity Has Declined seemed pretty acclaimed so I was hoping it would get a dub.
stardf29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'm bummed that Humanity Has Declined and Sakurasou aren't getting dubs, one does have to remember that how good a show is has very little to do with how well it would sell if dubbed, which is the primary factor in whether or not it gets a dub.

(And as much as I don't care for So I Can't Play H, that is the one I'm surprised isn't being dubbed; it seems like the kind of show that Sentai would dub. Eh, whatever.)

Also, as for Say "I love you" getting dubbed, I chalk that up to what seems to be a growing female fandom that Sentai seems to be milking through their recent trend of dubbing pretty much anything that could be considered shoujo or otome (including their re-dubbed S.A.).

And on another note, I highly doubt NISA's "looking into dubs" is going to mean that the majority of their shows will be dubbed.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Disappointing that Katyusha needed to be changed, but it sounds like it was out of Sentai's hands and they're doing what they can for it. I would have sworn that an old Russian song like that would be considered public domain though.

Okay. Katyusha won't be in ADV's release. So... Is there another song by the seiyuu to sub in for the Japanese audio, will Katyusha be on that audio track but not the English side, or will it just be silent? Did I overlook something said by ADV at their panel?
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
On Katyusha:
The Coffee God wrote:
The song itself probably is public domain, but the performance of it isn't.

The song only dates to 1938. U.S. copyrights as old as 1923 are still valid.
The Soviet Union was weird about copyright, but I think things have harmonized now.

A cynic would say that anything published after the 1928 debut of Mickey Mouse in "Steamboat Willie" will never be aged out of copyright.

I'll hope for the best, that they got the original voice actresses to sing an older Russian song.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
On Katyusha:
The Coffee God wrote:
The song itself probably is public domain, but the performance of it isn't.

The song only dates to 1938. U.S. copyrights as old as 1923 are still valid.
The Soviet Union was weird about copyright, but I think things have harmonized now.

This could happen when J-producers don't consider outside Japan.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
For those that don't know, the Gatchaman OVAs WILL have a new dub with the ADV Cast. I was worried a few voice actors wouldn't return, but Janice Williams mentioned on Fandom Post that, according to Charlie Campbell, "Everyone's Back": http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?13888-1-amp-Only-Cast-Announcements-and-Rumors-Thread/page88

Sentai's release will also contain new commentaries, but I'm not sure if it will contain the old Harmony Gold dub (which was visually uncut, so it shouldn't be an issue).

I do think dubbing has pretty much recovered from the "dark ages" of 2009-2011 where FUNimation dominated the industry. Now Sentai is dubbing MORE than FUNimation, and Bang Zoom is getting a healthy number of dubs, as is Studiopolis since Aniplex is dubbing a lot, and Viz is licensing more anime. NYAV Post has a few projects, and even NISA is "looking at" dubbing (please be for Persona 3 Trinity Soul and Pandora Hearts...). Even AnimeLimited in the UK dubbed the new Cyborg 009 movie with NYAV Post.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
it's nice that Sentai is dubbing more, but when nearly everything is rushed and full of all kinds of mistakes, it's hard to get excited
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
but I'm not sure if it will contain the old Harmony Gold dub (which was visually uncut, so it shouldn't be an issue).

I asked about the old Urban Vision dub during the Q&A, and David Williams confirmed that Sentai doesn't have the rights to the old dub, hence why they're re-dubbing it. If anything, I'm going to guess that Harmony Gold might be a hold-up for the old UV dub, because HG was involved in the production of it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
^ Eh, it's no big deal since they're redubbing it (though I think they would've redubbed it anyway). Still would've been interesting having it though.

IIRC, Harmony Gold is actually behind the dub. Urban Vision just distributed it onto home video.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I do think dubbing has pretty much recovered from the "dark ages" of 2009-2011 where FUNimation dominated the industry. Now Sentai is dubbing MORE than FUNimation, and Bang Zoom is getting a healthy number of dubs, as is Studiopolis since Aniplex is dubbing a lot, and Viz is licensing more anime. NYAV Post has a few projects, and even NISA is "looking at" dubbing (please be for Persona 3 Trinity Soul and Pandora Hearts...). Even AnimeLimited in the UK dubbed the new Cyborg 009 movie with NYAV Post.

Persona 3 will not be getting dubbed, at least not by NISA. Their releases of it are out of print and will not be reissued. The official out of print date was June 30th, though there are still copies floating around. It appears their license has or is expiring.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?22404-NIS-America-PERSONA-trinity-soul-going-OOP-on-June-30th

Also, Aniplex has been primarily using Bang Zoom, so they have nothing to with any projects at Studiopolis. Right now, the only R1 that is really using them is Viz. I also wouldn't say that Aniplex is dubbing a lot, as they are only doing a few projects a year.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Sentai is going to be putting out subtitle only BDs instead of keeping those DVD only titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3