• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It was neat seeing Lance Heiskell play along and it amused me when Zac looked to somebody on Viz staff in the crowd for an answer about Ranma 1/2 or something like that. I was a little surprised that industry representatives would show up for that panel, but given how Zac and Justin have talked about their relationship with the industry, I suppose that it makes sense. It's certainly convenient.

The whole experience was mostly a lot of fun. It was a little surreal to connect faces and complete physical presences to the voices and text that I've heretofore encountered them all (except for Hope Chapman, of course) through.

Unfortunately, Zac has reported via twitter that the audio wasn't captured, so the Otakon 2013 ANNCast live will presumably have to be a lost episode.

At least that spares me hearing my own embarrassing, awkward turn at the microphone, but that's about the only benefit and a petty one at that.

And Justin never did tell the pit beef story. (I wanted to get pit beef... but I didn't really have the means or time to get out to Chaps)

It's not much but for those wondering, here's what I remember happened...

Cast:
Zac Bertschy
Justin Sevakis
Hope Chapman
Bamboo Dong

About an hour into the podcast:
Mike Toole
Anime World Order's Daryl Surat

Special appearance by Funimation's Lance Heiskell

-They break down the Sunrise arms race between Funimation and Sentai (spoiler alert: Funimation won).
-Zac gave prizes based on Justin's reaction to audience questions. (I'll be honest...I wanted Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack.)
-I asked about Funimation's release strategy and that prompted Lance to do a jig on stage and answer my question. If there is footage of that anywhere, please let me know. I want to make sure I wasn't seeing things.
-There was disappointment about how Shinichiro Watanabe's panel room wasn't full when Space Dandy was revealed.
-Poor Bamboo was coughing a lot as the panel went on. I wish she was able to get into the discussion more.

If anyone else was there and can fill in the blanks, please do so.

P.S., thank you to Justin for that advice on analyzing video quality on anime discs. I'll keep my curiosity in check.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Unfortunately, Zac has reported via twitter that the audio wasn't captured, so the Otakon 2013 ANNCast live will presumably have to be a lost episode.

Oh dammit, I left halfway through since I was feeling a bit tired (a bad choice since it turned out Saturday night was drinking game movie night in my room and went on even later than the panel did) and assumed I was going to be able to hear the rest later, phooey.
Roguespider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Is there a report for the Sunrise Industry Panel? I wasn't able to make it to that one and I had heard that they announced a few titles that Sentai would be releasing and was curious.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Roguespider wrote:
Is there a report for the Sunrise Industry Panel? I wasn't able to make it to that one and I had heard that they announced a few titles that Sentai would be releasing and was curious.

I wrote one up, but it was mysteriously gone from my notes section when I got back to my hotel room.

Come to think of it, I had really bad luck at Otakon this year.

The total list of Sentai titles is here:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/sentai-filmworks-adds-sacred-seven-big-o-kurokami-more

Incidentally, they flashed the slide that had all these titles on it by so quickly I wasn't able to jot them all down anyway. The panel itself was mostly "hey here's this show" (audience applause) "and now a trailer".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
I'm really surprised the ANNCasters thought of Otakon as (I'm paraphrasing) the grass roots, huggy, fan-involved convention while they thought of AX as more of an impersonal image-conscious convention

It stems from their roots. AX grew from more an industry con that got industry insiders/producers and official videos, while Otakon more a fan con with blue-collar voice-actors/industry workers and fansubs.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
I was a bit surprised to hear (and see over @ Answerman) that so many ANN big-wigs were at Otakon and yet I didn't see any of them at the "Anime Industry:then and now" panel. Were they at the Friday one?

Speaking of those "Anime Industry:" panels, does anyone have a link to some transcripts of them?

Speaking of AX being impersonal & the "AI:" panels, anime industry legend Bob Napton lambasted AnimeExpo for being impersonal and "too political" while he was at the Sunday panel and, looking back, has been critical of them indirectly for years now @ otakon.
Quote:
-There was disappointment about how Shinichiro Watanabe's panel room wasn't full when Space Dandy was revealed.
The only "panel" I saw for him on the schedule was a Q&A session. That's not where I, or anyone else, should expect a big reveal to happen.

EDIT: I was in the same room as the ANN staff and didn't realize it. For some reason that creeps me out a bit. I guess that's the advantage of such a large con. BTW I'm not sure that voice actors can be "blue collar": I always think of "blue collar" to mean (more intense) physical labor.[/i]
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I was a bit surprised to hear (and see over @ Answerman) that so many ANN big-wigs were at Otakon and yet I didn't see any of them at the "Anime Industry:then and now" panel. Were they at the Friday one?

Speaking of those "Anime Industry:" panels, does anyone have a link to some transcripts of them?

Speaking of AX being impersonal & the "AI:" panels, anime industry legend Bob Napton lambasted AnimeExpo for being impersonal and "too political" while he was at the Sunday panel and, looking back, has been critical of them indirectly for years now @ otakon.
Quote:
The only "panel" I saw for him on the schedule was a Q&A session. That's not where I, or anyone else, should expect a big reveal to happen.

EDIT: I was in the same room as the ANN staff and didn't realize it. For some reason that creeps me out a bit. I guess that's the advantage of such a large con. BTW I'm not sure that voice actors can be "blue collar": I always think of "blue collar" to mean (more intense) physical labor.[/i]

I have a sore throat and I resent the intense physical labor jab.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
Echo City wrote:

I went to the first Watanabe panel thinking there was a chance it might be announced there.

After all I knew Bones was going to announce a new series at Otakon, Watanabe was working on a new series for Bones so it all fit.

Although I would have wanted to go to the panel regardless because of Watanabe's reputation. The announcement of Space Dandy was just a bonus.

Watanabe was great though, very funny and engaging. I admit I am not even the biggest fan. I like his stuff but nothing he did is a favorite of mine, but as a guest I was very impressed with him.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
EDIT: I was in the same room as the ANN staff and didn't realize it. For some reason that creeps me out a bit.

Not sure why that would be creepy. I mean, you have to assume there would be someone from ANN at all of the industry panels.

I can do you one better: I write for Tomopop, a sister site of Japanator. Even though I don't know who they sent to cover the con I knew they were in the room with me during the industry panels (I was at most of them). Not creepy, but a kinda odd feeling.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I would like to state for the record that Yoko Kanno's Piano Me concert on Sunday was an amazing, beautiful experience that made my first Otakon genuinely memorable. It was entirely worth the cumulative four hours of standing in lines.

Emerje wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
EDIT: I was in the same room as the ANN staff and didn't realize it. For some reason that creeps me out a bit.

Not sure why that would be creepy. I mean, you have to assume there would be someone from ANN at all of the industry panels.

I was in the row behind Bamboo Dong, although several seats to her left, in the Vertical Panel. I spent a minute or two trying to figure out if the woman seemingly taking notes on a laptop was who I thought she was. I can extrapolate from coverage that I was in the room with ANN staff several other times. I also passed Zac and JesuOtaku in the Skybridge on Friday. Hell, at the ANNCast Live I made half-cocked attempt at a question, so in a limited sense I 'talked' with Zac and Justin with Bamboo and JesuOtaku looking on quietly. I even met another ANN subscriber in the line for Yoko Kanno concert passes. I'll admit that it's a little strange to connect people whom I have heretofore known only as text , as voices and occasionally as pictures as an integrated physical presence, but not creepy.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
After all I knew Bones was going to announce a new series at Otakon, Watanabe was working on a new series for Bones so it all fit.

Although I would have wanted to go to the panel regardless because of Watanabe's reputation. The announcement of Space Dandy was just a bonus.

I went into the panel pretty well expecting him to announce Space Dandy. I don't know exactly how I formed that expectation, but I went into the panel pretty sure that it would happen. I guess I thought that it was an open secret.

Hence I cringed when one of the people asking questions essentially tried to preempt the announcement with his question. (Not intentionally, of course, but he pretty knowingly asked about the title, schedule and whether Dai Satō was involved)

I love Cowboy Bebop, so I was thrilled to attend and Shinichirō Watanabe was a rather entertaining guest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I also passed Zac and JesuOtaku in the Skybridge on Friday

Should've said hello, man!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

You'd be surprised at how hard that can be for some people. I know at Anime Boston, I stood right next to Tempest as he was talking to some staff at Otakon who were right behind me in line to get a wallscroll signed by the director and producer and dub voice actors of Sword Art Online, and all I could manage to spit out was a rather awkward "I love the site". Some people just kinda overthink things and feel that a "Hey, I'm so and so from the ANN forums" would feel way too awkward and would just expect an "Oh, well good to see you" sort of reply which would feel even more awkward. Sadly, I was sitting right next to SA in the Vertical panel, and I didn't recognize Bamboo in the audience at all. I guess I was more focused on Ed, and looking around trying to figure out who classicalzawa might be because I was sure she'd be at that panel.

Incidentally, I was King Hippo that attended the ANNCast panel, and that was actually the second ANNCast that I've attended. The first one was during AX 2012, in which either you or perhaps Justin commented on the fact that I was wearing those Necomimi thought controlled ears.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

Incidentally, I was King Hippo that attended the ANNCast pane

You were awesome, your costume looked great and the only reason I didn't give you a prize was because you were wearing boxing gloves and didn't seem to have pockets.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

For some reason you don't seem as candidly approachable IRL, at AX at least, as you're indicating in the forums or at Otakon. And you even said Otakon was rough for you, or something like that. Honestly I find you to be quite aloof-ish. No offense though.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Sailor S wrote:

Incidentally, I was King Hippo that attended the ANNCast pane

You were awesome, your costume looked great and the only reason I didn't give you a prize was because you were wearing boxing gloves and didn't seem to have pockets.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. Makes taking the time, effort and courage to go out in public like that worth it. Incidentally, I had both pockets and a backpack at my seat, but that's ok, based on what was given out after me, I'm pretty certain that I owned everything that you gave away. I can't be 100% sure, but I think that was the case. At any rate, I still haven't gotten around to watching the prize you gave me at AX 2012 (Dirty Pair Flash) One of these days, one of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3