• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinichiro Watanabe Reveals Space Dandy Comedy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diet panda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This.

This right here.

This is going to save anime.

The same thing was said about stuff like Redline and Fractale, and look what happened there. Or didn't happen.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
Even better news: BahiJD is doing key animation! Very Happy

Oh awesome that's nice to hear. Hope he gets to work on everything ever cause he's such a talent. Either way i'm looking forward to this so much.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Watching because of Shinichiro Watanabe. I'm quite excited for this upcoming series tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neshru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Save it from what?

From the horde of uninspired, generic and badly animated shows that plague the current anime scene.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh look here http://toonamifaithful.com/space-dandy-new-show-by-cowboy-bebop-director-shinichiro-watanabe/ it would be very nice if this could air there.
diet panda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
neshru wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Save it from what?

From the horde of uninspired, generic and badly animated shows that plague the current anime scene.

Yeah, but those have always existed. Sturgeon's law and whatnot.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I can't quite muster the same level of excitement for this show that I might if it were something more serious. Still, I'm pretty hyped. I'm almost more excited to see Keiko Nobumoto pop up again. I think she was as much responsible for the effectiveness of Watanabe's best works as he himself. And while Watanabe hasn't done a lot in recent years he's at least been around while Nobumoto dropped right off the map. Anyway, I hope this show will skew more toward zany, over the top, action/comedy. (Something in the vein of Redline maybe). It certainly looks like they'll be putting a lot into the visuals and it's a Bones show so maybe. A straight comedy could still be fun too although I'm not sure it would really take full advantage of the talent involved.
neshru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
diet panda wrote:
neshru wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Save it from what?

They have, but what I'm saying is that these days finding projects that are truly interesting and unique and don't simply play it safe is harder than ever.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
diet panda wrote:
neshru wrote:

Not even just "sturgeon's law", people easily forget how little anime there was to enjoy before the mid 90s when shows got shorter and started going to latenight hours. So many trashy ecchi or otherwise highschool shows exist because the market can somehow support them. There's no absolute number of show that must come out, and the only reason why people react so negatively is because there's zero filter on seeing what's available, and no time delay.

It'll probably be a good show, but it's not going to suddenly enlighten moe otaku who do their thing, or fujoshi or otome who do their respective things as well to change their habits and demand only new and only creative ventures, or else. It'll sell what it does, and people will move on when the next season arrives. Or it'll be entirely forgotten about in Japan just like Michiko to Hatchin and sell like dirt. Even megahits like Haruhi and Madoka only have so much power and influence before they begin to get old and start to become irrelevant.

And the problem with sturgeon law is believing that only a few thing are worthy and everything else is terrible is means that kind of good, kind of bad, and mediocre can't exist, which they certainly do. Some anime are only just okay.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been hunting for news about this every few days, for a very long time! It's nice that it is finally announced at last!

I'm not a big fan of comedy, and I've never seen any of Watanabe's previous works, but I've heard how good Cowboy Bebop is! Plus, its being made by BONES which is my favorite anime studio, and I am on a quest to watch every one of their shows, so this one is definitely on my to watch list.

I wish that video was available though...

Plus, Dai Sato is one of my favorite anime writers, so it should be enjoyable by all means!
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
For me?! Why you shouldn't have!

Can't get enough of how quirky and colorful this looks-- the characters are so cute! Dandy especially looks... well, dandy. I have a feeling I'm gonna have a ton of fun watching this one.

There are just so many good anime to look forward to these days, I think I'm gunna explode from excitement!!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
I'm excited to see this. It has a sort of pulpy seventies sci-fi look that made me think of Space Ace for some reason. Regardless, it has a really cool look and a strong, straightforward premise, which is what Shinichirō Watanabe has excelled in before.

During the questions and answers part of the panel, somebody asked a question that effectively tried to preempt the announcement. (The announcement was, admittedly, something of an open secrete) The translator demurred that he should wait until later.

I was thrilled to see the staff for this series. I'm especially pleased to see Keiko Nobumoto writing. She's really good, but not very active. Having Dai Satō and so much of the Cowboy Bebop staff involved is really promising. He also mentioned that they have many designers working for them to create aliens for Dandy et al to encounter in each episode, whose names they'll announce as their creations appear. They've developed more than 150 designs so far.

I'll concede that I wasn't hoping for a comedy, but this has too much going for it for me to mind. At the panel, he described it jocularly as, "Mushroom Samba every day." There's going to be a Hooter's analog in space called... ummm... I am not making this up, "Boobies," replete with bouncing bosoms in the trailer. I can see that fitting the pulpy seventies motif, but it wasn't my favorite part of what we saw. I hopeful that with Keiko Nobumoto and Dai Satō writing, they'll take care to make one or two of the waitresses interesting characters.

The trailer did look really good and ended with the classic tagline, "He is a dandy in the space." (In fairness to the Japanese, usage of the definite article in English is very tricky)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
People must not have been watching a lot of old anime. I still have some VHS tapes, laserdics. And a few years ago I took off my nostalgia lined rose colored tinted glasses and dove into some old stuff, downloading and buying, and let me tell you, a lot of it was just crap. Bad animation, lots of simplistic story telling, very episodic for any of the serious stuff.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's no absolute number of show that must come out, and the only reason why people react so negatively is because there's zero filter on seeing what's available, and no time delay.

Exactly. Most of people's subjective evaluation of the entire field of anime is heavily misguided by perception. Because there's simply much more anime now, including MUCH more variety, people simply focus on the shows or genres that they dislike.

As far as "saving anime"....

t3h sexy always saves everything Twisted Evil

It's the spice that adds flavor to everything, kinda like MSG, whether its Free or Redline (NSFW)
Oraculo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
Meh... Neutral Like many, I was truly looking forward to this one since BONES and Watanabe were involved. But due the "choice" images above *insert puking emoticon here* and (so far) no corresponding eye-candy for females (the main guy looks obnoxious), it'll probably be a NO SALE for this camper. Too bad. *shrugs*
Eriol-sama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad to known that Watanabe's hints at FicZone'12 in Granada were true. As a huge fan of him, five months are a loooong wait ^^U
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4