• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Sacred Seven, Big O, Kurokami, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zump

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Player No. 3 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Hey, Big O license rescue! Now a whole new crop of people can try to figure out what that ending was all about.

I always figured it was a giant scheme to create the best tomato soup in the world.

That's probably as good as my theory.

I've got a good theory (Spoilers ahead, and it's quite lengthy):

spoiler[In Roger The Wanderer, Roger "announces" that he will return to being Roger The Negotiator. This represents the announcement of Big O's second season. Each episode that follows that reflects the series's "life". Do this to raise ratings, bring back this character, etc. The entire second season represents how a show can be twisted up by sponsor demands.

In the ending, we're met with Big Venus. Big Venus represents events outside of the main staff's abilities. The visions Roger witnesses are the truth. In the same way that Might Gaine discovers what was going on, Roger realizes that he was just another show made to sell more toys and merchandise. Fully understanding the situation, he comes out to argue. He comes out to negotiate. His speech is a simple case of rallying the troops. What he shouts at Big Venus represents what was probably said to the staff. "Don't give up, we can still do this."

At the end, we see Angel sitting in a room with her book. Roger and Dorothy appear behind her. The show returns to the beginning. It's not a third season, there was never a plan for a third season, but "Roger" convinced them that the show at least deserves reruns.]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

I also passed on it due to that reason, I also passed on KuroKami due to the english only blu-rays, I am one of the weirdos who likes to watch things in their original language.

I like getting both myself since I like watching in both dub and sub. Smile

The Japanese was made in parallel with English and Korean.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
There's more to it than that apparently. According to an off-the-record interview with Jason DeMarco by the Toonami Faithful Podcast at Momocon, there is zero chance for Sentai pickups by Toonami. DeMarco gave them a clear reason behind this decision in confidence, so I doubt it's merely a lack of action titles working against them.

The closest I've seen to that was a Toonami Faithful interview at Momocon 2013 on YouTbe, and maybe I may have missed it, but I didn't hear anything about Sentai. What possible reason would there be for DeMarco to shaft Sentai?

Last edited by MadMan400096 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
The closest I've seen to that was a Toonami Faithful interview at Momocon 2013 on YouTbe, and maybe I may have missed it, but I didn't hear anything about Sentai. What possible reason would there be for DeMarco to shaft Sentai?

It wouldn't be on there. They talked on the podcast itself about getting a tour of Williams Street and getting to talk to him one on one. It was there the question was asked and the answer was given.
http://podcast.toonamifaithful.com/toonami-faithful-podcast-38-momocon-adventures/http://podcast.toonamifaithful.com/toonami-faithful-podcast-38-momocon-adventures/
This should be the one they talk about it on.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I listened, and they didn't seem to give a reason for Sentai anime being unable to air on Toonami. All they did was mock Steven Foster's dubs, then rambling about Voices of a Distant Star.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
Holy sweet [expletive] Zombie Jesus!

Sentai just hit gold!

Am I to understand that this may lead to The Big O on blu-ray in North America and Kurokami: The Animation on one (or two) blu-ray discs with a Japanese language track?

Eeeeee!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Most of these series I passed over on when they were Anime Legend releases {on sale, at that} and now I'll get the chance to pass them on again now they get higher priced Sentai releases. Banzai! Banzai!

The one series I am interested in, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space, will probably still be undubbed so there's not that too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5