• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, and I'm surprised FUNimation also nabbed Angel Links, that being a little obscure. Wonder if they'll dub the former sub-only titles.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Woot for FUNi nabbing Cowboy Bebop. I may not be as big a fan of it as most others are, but there's no denying it's a great show and well deserving of it's place in the fandom. Did they get the movie too though? I was always more into it than I was the show, for some reason.

Sony has the movie, and unfortunately sub-licensed it to Image Ent, who released a crappy Blu-ray with stereo sound.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more stoked about Escaflowne being BD here, its transfer was far better than Bebop's. I hope FUNi copies Japan and uses that Deja vu inspired box for Bebop.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Damn. My list of must have BDs for old shows shrank drastically today. In fact, it's pretty much down to Evangelion, Berserk and Stand Alone Complex. Although I wouldn't say no to some post-2000s Bones shows either.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Great, just created a new bank account today, now I have to drain it.

Wait, 2014? Oh, well that'll give me some time, then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Bebop is already available on BD in Europe (well the first half of the series anyway) so no great catch for me there

Exactly what I thought.

How does America not have this yet? Even EU has this before you guys, and we usually have to wait like 8-12 months after you for anything.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to Outlaw Star but will that include the follow up sequel that Cartoon Network didn't broadcast due nudity issues? Confused But again they are into dropping series without notice and continue the American tradition of censorship.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Shuurai25 wrote:
How does America not have this yet? Even EU has this before you guys, and we usually have to wait like 8-12 months after you for anything.

It was a licensing issue, I'm sure, since Bandai Ent US is gone and everyone wanted it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Shuurai25 wrote:

Because America and Japan share Region A for BluRay and Europe doesn't. That's why any and all "reverse importation" fears at least have some credibility that wouldn't have made sense for DVD. The Japanese want to make sure they can squeeze all that's available out of Japan first before the Westerns can have their cheaper boxsets.

Also, in particular to Bebop, because Bandai Entertainment was still in the process of being dismantled, and it's only just recently that their products were available for other licensees to pick from, since nothing happened at AX.

marcos torres toledo wrote:
Looking forward to Outlaw Star but will that include the follow up sequel that Cartoon Network didn't broadcast due nudity issues? Confused But again they are into dropping series without notice and continue the American tradition of censorship.

You mean the hotsprings episode that only showed Aisha nipples for a few seconds? That's always been available on the DVD, it just wasn't broadcast on TV. No one's going to cut anything.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote

There's a spinoff of Outlaw Star, but it's not very good and it was never aired on Toonami.

It's not the spinoff that wasn't allowed on Toonami, it was an episode. 18 I believe. Which featured some nudity and so it wasn't aired.

OT: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY DOLLAHS
Macron One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Otakon 2013 has been a fantastic con as far as license-rescues are concerned. There have been several announced that i would double-dip on with no hesitation whatsoever, provided of course that they get a solid quality BD release (Ranma, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, The Big O, My-Hime/Otome, Crest of the Stars). I might get Zegapain too, as i missed my opportunity to get that when it was first released.

However, the amount of "fresh" licenses announced at Otakon has unfortunately been rather underwhelwing. I was hoping for a much better showing in that regard, especially from Funimation, considering they didn't have much of anything new to show back at Anime Expo. With several decently high-profile 2011/2012 shows currently remaining unlicensed (Hunter x Hunter remake, Chihayafuru, Hyouka, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), there should be a good number of no-brainer licensing possibilities still out there.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much everything on the list is stuff I already have from Bandai, but it's at least good to see it not getting lost to the ravages of OOPness. If they want some of my money off old Bandai stock they should get and rerelease Scrapped Princess in a SAVE set, my singles are taking up too much space on my shelf and I'd like something thinner. Either that or finish off some of the franchises Bandai left incomplete. I'd love to own Banner of the Stars III and Stratos4 Advance.

I am however, definitely very interested in the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA pickup though.

animehermit wrote:

There's a spinoff of Outlaw Star, but it's not very good and it was never aired on Toonami.

Angel Links is the (crappy) Outlaw Star Spinoff in question and it's in the list of acquisitions there. As for the Unaired episode of OS, it was on the Bandai DVDs, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be on a Funi version.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ESCAFLOWNE. If Funimation gives us blurays, my money is theirs.

I'd love for this to happen too. But there's one problem: the blu-ray has the deleted scenes (No, I'm NOT talking about the Fox edit. You can learn more about them here: www.lizzard.net/Lost/ ) which, for some reason, never got dubbed by Bandai Entertainment when they first licensed it. If they do get the blu-ray and release it with those scenes, I really hope they re-dub it (because, really, Dilandau's chirpy little nine year old voice really needs to go), though the possibility of it happening is VERY unlikely.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo! Now, here's to hoping that those all get Blu-ray releases (or at least those that have Blu-ray releases in Japan anyway). I own most everything on the list already, but I'll buy every one of them that Funimation puts out on Blu-ray. I was so disappointed when Bandai never released any of this stuff on Blu-ray even when it had been released on Blu-ray in Japan, and this may be our chance!

This is easily the best news that I've heard all week.
wolve3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
TAKE MY MONEY FUNIMATION FOR ESCAFLOWNE! Really, really hoping that BD happens. I'm more excited about that than anything else that was announced.

I'm totally there with you. Forget everything else. Wink
kawaiirunner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne!! so excited! Funimation, please release the blu-rays and in something similar to the Japanese special edition boxed set. That would be awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8