• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball [3-in-1 Edition] GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Thank you for letting me know a little more about the censorship in the current digital run of Shonen Jump. To be honest I hadn't really noticed anything when it came to Mister Popo's lips, but I know the entire story that goes along with why changes have had to be made over the years. I'm going to have a look later on to see if I can actually notice anything, but from what you've said it sounds like it's pretty innocuous. Thank you for the links as well, by the way.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Viz has mentioned on their Twitter account, that the edits "slipped by", and that future printings will be unedited. Future volumes shouldn't have this problem, but with Viz, I'll believe it when I see it.

Fans shouldn't have to do the quality control for them.

I'd say for now, just wait and see if future volumes are "uncensored" like they promised, or just get the VizBig editions or the upcoming Full Color editions.

Well, do you believe them, or is this a case that volume one had the most egregious scenes in it and Viz censored it because of that, and planned if called out on it, to say that it was just a mistake and it wouldn't happen again in future volumes. With the future volumes not being so bad to prudish American tastes.

I don't really know either way, but it seems that a flagship title like Dragonball, would be treated better and Viz should have been more knowledgeable about this property considering its high visibility.

That's why I have my doubts about their sincerity, but then again, fools can be fools.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
If what you were saying were true, TarsTarkas, what would Viz Media's motivation have been the entire time? I'm not really sure why they would have wanted to introduce some censorship into these releases, unless you presume that they were afraid that some parental group was actually going to get on them about the release so they did it in the first place as a stopgap measure of sorts. Was that what you were getting at?

By the way, I love the avatar. I'm a big fan of the original Battlestar Galatica series.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote
As bad as all the DBZ English dubs have been in terms of VAing and scripts, at least the DVDs restore the blood and violent scenes. At least. The Viz translation is not only bad, but is heavily censored.

If anime dubbing has overall improved, why can't manga translations? Seriously. Are there any Viz manga which are fully uncut? Seriously. If DB is rated "13+" I shouldn't need to have blood removed, censorship or any other stuff. Batman Under the Red Hood is PG-13, yet that doesn't hold back in slightest. Same with Planet Hulk. Why do the Viz manga censor and hold back? If this is rated 13+, I expect uncut. No excuses.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote
Can I be really dense here? (No one is allowed to say no!) I'm getting a little confused with the amount of editions and who is referring to which.

Are the original single volumes release by Viz censored or is it just the 3 in 1 omnibuses?

Thanks muchly Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
If what you were saying were true, TarsTarkas, what would Viz Media's motivation have been the entire time? I'm not really sure why they would have wanted to introduce some censorship into these releases, unless you presume that they were afraid that some parental group was actually going to get on them about the release so they did it in the first place as a stopgap measure of sorts. Was that what you were getting at?

By the way, I love the avatar. I'm a big fan of the original Battlestar Galatica series.

Thanks, always enjoyed the older Baltar.

That is about it as you said. I remember some of the scenes from the beginning of Dragonball and can see why they would be susceptible to censoring in the United States, not that I agree with it. Just find it hard to be believe that Viz would make such a mistake in the first volume of a flagship title, especially with their claim on the front of the manga. Dragonball is not some unknown and new title. It is well written about, along with its various incarnations of censoring.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
The fact that it's so well known is what surprised me about the story actually. I was of the opinion that parents wouldn't really freak out about something that has been out for quite some time, but I guess that I might have been wrong. There's always someone who finds something offensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2