• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Joe Hisaishi wins Best Score

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I didn't dislike the score for Howl, but it wasn't as noticeable as his other work. But it was still more prevalent than in Spirited Away. I guess he won, because the scores for most American animated films consist of bubblegum pop meant to sell to tweens. Congratulations to Hisaishi-san. Hopefully, the Academy will start developing more taste in music, so you can win Best Score there too.
naushika

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Hisaishi!
Anyone know if his score will be in the running for an Oscar? Howl could have a chance for best animated flick if it can beat out Wallace and Gromit and Corpse Bride. But we'll see... Wink
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say the academy has no taste in music, many great titles have won in the past and will win in the future. Sometimes, you know, things that don't come from Japan are pretty good too. To be honest I'm not to fond of most anime soundtracks, I own a few but I'd say overall I'm far more impressed with soundtracks done domestically and anime has it's share of J-pop oriented soundtracks as well that are just as bad as the pop ones we get here.

I'm all for an anime winning an award, but I think stating they haven't because the voters have no taste is a bit absurd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
Here, here, well said. And a BIG congrats to our Mr. Hisaishi. Knowing how ethnocentric the film critics and academy have been in the past, this is no small result.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:23 am Reply with quote
naushika wrote:
Howl could have a chance for best animated flick if it can beat out Wallace and Gromit and Corpse Bride.

Howl exceeds Corpse Bride on every cinematic level. While Howl had its share of problems with pacing and story, Corpse Bride's narrative was a complete wreck. And its soundtrack? Totally forgettable. Possibly the worst film score Danny Elfman has ever produced.

Wallace and Gromit, on the other hand, will be hard to beat. It's my favorite animation of the year and Nick Park has always been an Academy favorite. Anyway, like you said, we'll see what happens.

Also, congratulations to Joe Hisaishi. It was a well-deserved win. His score for Howl is a personal favorite of mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I was fortunate enough to see Joe live at February's tsunami aid concert in Tokyo, and he was just one of the finest and classiest guys in the business. He played the theme from the Nagano Olympics, which I was surprised to hear he composed. Anyway, really deserving of the award, congrats. I still hum the Spirited Away theme every now and then . .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1