• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Prince of Tennis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cosmic Kath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Ah, I've been waiting for ANN to verify that....
*officially starts celebrating*

I'm not expecting anything great, but i'm not fussed because i'm too far into this obsession to care. if takeshi konomi drew karupin on a salada biscuit i'd probably want that too.

yaaaaaay! ^_______^
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Can we chalk that up as one of the *worst* ideas of all time next to maybe...the Super Mario Bros. live action feature. Part of the main appeal of Prince of Tennis is hot bishies with very feminine attributes. I'm sure they'll find a few good-looking guys, but the odds are truly against them. That having been said, if the overall content is solid....it could be fun. Screw that stuff, I wanna see Tetsujin 28! Does anyone know if it's going to get a domestic release?
Rozzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will be full of CGI to actually make the tennis moves look the same as the anime series. Twist serve and Boomerang snake? I'd love to see them actually attempt that!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I presume that this will be a Japanese (or Chinese or Taiwanese or Korean) production, meaning it will actually get made, and not a Hollywood production, meaning it would likely join the huge pile of American live-action anime adaptations that died early in preproduction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Professor: They have a live-action adaptation of that shoujo tennis manga whose name escapes me...Aim for the Ace[/url]
domino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a great idea, and I think the Prince of Tennis musicals already proved that this live action movie will be a success. The Prince of Tennis live action musicals have been going on for years, and the tickets sell out insanely fast. I hear for the recent Prince of Tennis musical (held just las month), there was such a high demand for tickets that they doubled the number of showings in an effort to keep up with the demand.

I'm just curious if the cast for the Prince of Tennis live movie will be the same amazing cast as from the Prince of Tennis live musicals... I can't wait!! *bows to the almighty Konomi Takeshi*
chibigb2000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
Professor Genius wrote:
Can we chalk that up as one of the *worst* ideas of all time next to maybe...the Super Mario Bros. live action feature. Part of the main appeal of Prince of Tennis is hot bishies with very feminine attributes. I'm sure they'll find a few good-looking guys, but the odds are truly against them. That having been said, if the overall content is solid....it could be fun. Screw that stuff, I wanna see Tetsujin 28! Does anyone know if it's going to get a domestic release?

I don't think it's one of the worst ideas, but I am curious to see who they choose to be the "hot bishies".

Super Mario Bros. was probably the worst idea, though...next to Street Fighter.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
I say make this like Shaolin Soccer but with Tennis Laughing

I've seen Ace wo Nerae starring Ueto Aya of Azumi. I thought it was a good drama though I have little to no exposure of the original anime or manga.

Best live action adaption ever is Gokusen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Genkai5000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It'll be fun though. Live Action PoT movie! ^-^ So happy! Anyways, they're having an OVA too! For the Nationals and I believe coming sometime in 2006 since it was announced this late. Anyways, so much PoT, it'll last a long time! Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:

That'd be a personal opinion, I believe.

The Gokusen live action was pretty good, but Gokusen in general is just a ripoff of Great Teacher Onizuka, with a few slight plot changes. Namely that the main character is female and not male.

Ironicly, Great Teacher Onizuka is the best live action drama adaptation, according to the japanese ratings it recieved.

As for best anime adaptation, overall, that'd be hard to figure out. You'd have to rate it on, mostly, how it follows the canon story. Not alot of adaptations do that, though.

If you go by that, Crying Freeman was pretty accurate, so was Fist of The North Star.

If you go by special effects, I believe Guyver was probably the best. The costume effects were spot on, even if the plot was just a shell of the original. The effects were better for the second movie. I'd love to see a third with the Shadow Guyver (Guyver Unit III) in it. Very Happy

I'm looking forward to this live action Prince of Tennis, aswell. I think its an awesome story and it will translate well into live action form.

Though, if I were to choose, I'd love to see a Bastard!! movie more so, aswell as drama series' for Genshiken and Beck.

Oh, and a Guilty Gear anime would be awesome.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you go by that, Crying Freeman was pretty accurate, so was Fist of The North Star.

Fist of the North Star, having white people play Japanese? Heh. The only thing that kept me from hating that movie was that Dante Basco (who plays Rufio in Hook and is the star of the Filipino American movie The Debut) is in it. I actually have the movie dubbed in Japanese.

Crying Freeman as a product overall is very underrated outside of Japan. I have seen the live action movie and I think it's good for what it was though I think it could have done much better.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
Quote:

Fist of the North Star, having white people play Japanese? Heh. The only thing that kept me from hating that movie was that Dante Basco (who plays Rufio in Hook and is the star of the Filipino American movie The Debut) is in it. I actually have the movie dubbed in Japanese.

Crying Freeman as a product overall is very underrated outside of Japan. I have seen the live action movie and I think it's good for what it was though I think it could have done much better.

Actually, not everyone in the Fist of The North Star series is Japanese, considering its supposed to take place after world war three, when the world has been mostly destroyed.

I own the dvd of it, aswell as Crying Freeman.

Crying Freeman was awesome, I believe. However, my DVD unfortunatly has no subtitles for the various Japanese and Chinese in the movie. That doesn't take away from the movie at all, however. Mark Dacascos is a very underrated actor. I also enjoyed him in Brotherhood of The Wolf and The Crow: Stairway To Heaven.

Interestly enough, Crying Freeman and Fist of The North Star (Aswell as G-Saviour) were Canadian made movies. Lets hope Canada decides to make more anime-based movies, as it seems America doesn't care at all for them.

EDIT:
By the way, looking over the Crying Freeman (Live) listing that ANN has, it says Universal Focus has the film and released it on DVD in 2004. However, I can find no information in regards to this, nor can I find the DVD. Anyone have any further information, perhaps a place to buy it, aswell?

My DVD is by Tai Seng, I believe.
Psusion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:

Correction: Gokusen live action came out before the anime.
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Psusion wrote:
ParaParaJMo wrote:

Correction: Gokusen live action came out before the anime.

Yeah, and it came out AFTER the manga.

It was adapted from the manga, NOT the anime.
KarriaChinoRyu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I'm just curious if the cast for the Prince of Tennis live movie will be the same amazing cast as from the Prince of Tennis live musicals...

Yes, it will be. ^^ The new musical cast (excepting Yanagi Kotaroh, who plays Ryoma in the musicals) will keep their roles for this movie.

All of this was announced in the most recent Japanese issue of Shonen Jump. You can see a scan and read more info on it here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2