• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Witch Academia's Tokyo Event Cancelled Due to Low Ticket Sales

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Here's another thing to consider:

https://twitter.com/trigger_inc/status/364274447978463232

Quote:
To celebrate the release of LWA1 Blu-ray and our success on Kickstarter, we will be holding an event at Shinjuku Walt 9 on 8/22/13 11pm!

Errr, isn't that a bit late for an event like that? I'd imagine they would sold more if it was held during the afternoon or something.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm particularly surprised. While I'd be thrilled to see Trigger spin this into a full series, I can't imagine that a twenty minute short has enough traction for a full event at this point. Even for those Japanese fans that enjoyed it, I don't think it's going to linger in memory when there's so much else on the Japanese market at any given time.
shitsux

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Errr, isn't that a bit late for an event like that? I'd imagine they would sold more if it was held during the afternoon or something.
\

There are many midnight events in Akiba, and most anime airs in late night timeslots. If there were fans, they would show up.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Maybe they should do these events for the West instead, to reward those who actually popularized this thing.

By "West" you mean the U.S, right?

No, it could be the rest of the West too... the backers list has a lot of Europeans, maybe even more than Japanese people.

Quote:
Why does Japan have such good taste? Only crazy foreigners seem to like LWA. It must be because of how LWA is similar to cartoons.

But the people backing LWA are hardcore Western otaku attending AX and who idolize Trigger and Gainax and yell about anime on 4chan, not the Adventure Time and My Little Pony casual crowd.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure blaming it on being a midnight event works, I can easily envision fans showing up for Shingeki no Kyojin or UtaPri events at that time. Then again, those are extremely popular and LWA wasn't met with the same enthusiasm and fervor in Japan. It'd be like trying to have an event for most of Yuasa's works.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Proving yet again that hardcore Japanese fans have shit taste in anime.

Yep. Pretty much par for the course anywhere yea go though, people in Japan having poor taste in anime, people in America having poor taste in live action television, kids on the internet having poor taste in youtube videos.... just part of the human condition I guess. Laughing

Seriously though, LWA deserved better then that, I agree with others they should just do a theatrical screening at a con in the U.S. where it could potentially do decently well.
shitsux

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

But the people backing LWA are hardcore Western otaku attending AX and who idolize Trigger and Gainax and yell about anime on 4chan, not the Adventure Time and My Little Pony casual crowd.

Those who enjoy Trigger and Gainax and attend conventions are not hardcore. TTGL is hated on /a/ and /m/. Searches for "My Little Pony Little Witch Academia" brings up quite a few results of mlp/lwa crossover fandom. I have not heard of adventure time, so I cannot speak of that.

If you haven't noticed, I greatly dislike LWA.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to Trigger for realizing where their support lies and turning to it for the sequel (they pointed out on the Kickstarter page that most of their support seems to come from the West) as opposed to just caving in and making more of the same for Japanese audiences (or worse, just disbanding). They realized there is a market for this stuff and turned to it, which is more than can be said for a lot of companies that make stuff that is a flop in their home country but a big hit elsewhere.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm not sure blaming it on being a midnight event works, I can easily envision fans showing up for Shingeki no Kyojin or UtaPri events at that time. Then again, those are extremely popular and LWA wasn't met with the same enthusiasm and fervor in Japan. It'd be like trying to have an event for most of Yuasa's works.

Honestly, I think doing an event for a 20 minute OVA is kinda egotistical in the first place. They probably got all excited about the Kickstarter thing and wanted to go to the next level by having a big event in Japan too, but its kind of a tough sell to get an event for a random 20 minute OVA made by a small new studio that wasn't even received very well over there to begin with.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Trigger isn't obviously well-received when Aniplex is personally funding an original show by them.

Totally.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, there goes my hopes of Little Witch Academia ever becoming a 1-cour late night anime series.

Though I'd easily wager that, for crowd-funded anime, the domestic Japanese audience for Little Witch Academia still dwarfs that for Kick-Heart, since at least the girls in Little Witch Academia are reasonably "cute" instead of being weird-experimental-animation-looking wrestler things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yes, Trigger isn't obviously well-received when Aniplex is personally funding an original show by them.

And they're ex-Gainax members. Any failure is absolutely theirs to own.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Honestly, I think doing an event for a 20 minute OVA is kinda egotistical in the first place.

Uh, why? It's not a bad way to gauge domestic support (or lack thereof). You really need to learn to separate your personal feelings from the actions of others.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Honestly, I think doing an event for a 20 minute OVA is kinda egotistical in the first place.

Uh, why? It's not a bad way to gauge domestic support (or lack thereof). You really need to learn to separate your personal feelings from the actions of others.

Because most OVAs don't get events unless they are part of big franchises. Thats a pretty rare thing and like I said, its egotistical to think their single OVA is important enough to get an event when only TV shows do for the most part. The lack of ticket sales backs up my assertion since they overestimated the amount of people who cared.

Its not a good way to gauge domestic support, either. Its pretty embarrassing to announce you are going to cancel an event due to not enough people caring, so its best to do that kinda research in other ways before actually committing to the event.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Oh well, there goes my hopes of Little Witch Academia ever becoming a 1-cour late night anime series.

Took the sad words right out of my mouf. Oh well, at least we are getting a 40-minute new OVA. Better than a kick in the bag, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14