• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Schedule Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
The biggest problem that Family Guy has going for it is that the jokes have a big tendancy to overdo themselves. One such example would be when Stewie sang "Rocket Man", which wasn't funny nor paticularly well executed, yet went on for painfully long.

That's a parody of William Shatner's classic performance at some science fiction awards ceremony 1978.

But as neither a sci-fi buff nor a Shatner fan, it was completely lost on me and plenty of other people.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The right people will get it. Wink
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
newtype[wired] wrote:
To be perfectly honest i think the anime gets poor rating is because of the anime lovers out their that either are tired of the reruns / seen it all ready or they absolutly hate the dubing so they wont watch it, sadly some are like that.

If viewers really got tired of certain shows, they would have stopped airing them long ago. (Case Closed? Blue Gender?)

The reasons why Cowboy Bebop is the evergreen of shows on Adult Swim are because it is still popular, people still dig the cool show, and of course, people are still curious to see what all the fuss was about. It's too early to tell if FMA (or Champloo or GitS:SAC, for that matter) will have the same evergreen status as Bebop does; although to FMA's benefit, they really are not driving it into the ground like they did for Bebop.

A solid reason for anime not doing as well as the comedies is the fact that anime is scheduled later in the night, when fewer people will be watching. That cushy 11pm ET timeslot FMA has on Saturdays? Kiss it goodbye after next week... they move to midnight ET.

It's true that there are people that already have the DVDs for the episodes, there are people that prefer the Japanese dub, they have more anime at home to watch, and so forth. But quite honestly, I think the comedy audience and the anime audience is mutually exclusive. One audience doesn't really bleed into the other audience. You notice how painfully out of place certain comedy-based Adult Swim promos are during anime shows? I mean, this past Saturday's FMA airing -- quite angsty and plot-driven, this week -- had some irreverent but questionable promos for its comedies during the entr'acte break (the break that begins right after Act 1); what the hell is a Stroker & Hoop promo doing during the break for FMA?

No matter how you slice it, and no matter how much you may like anime, when people mention Adult Swim, they'll think of the edgy, sophomoric comedies than the more serious anime stuff. Not to categorize everything into two groups, but still, there are two distinct audiences that watch Adult Swim: the comedy watchers and the anime watchers. And since the comedies air earlier than the anime, the comedies will get a higher audience.

- J
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
I think the comedy audience and the anime audience is mutually exclusive. One audience doesn't really bleed into the other audience. You notice how painfully out of place certain comedy-based Adult Swim promos are during anime shows? I mean, this past Saturday's FMA airing -- quite angsty and plot-driven, this week -- had some irreverent but questionable promos for its comedies during the entr'acte break (the break that begins right after Act 1); what the hell is a Stroker & Hoop promo doing during the break for FMA?

Which is EXACTLY why AS needs Excel Saga and 2x2=Shinobuden--to bridge the gap. Razz

Oh, and don't forget xenophobia.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
If viewers really got tired of certain shows, they would have stopped airing them long ago. (Case Closed? Blue Gender?)

I've heard several people mention Blue Gender as being a show Adult Swim still airs. I've NEVER seen Blue Gender, and have no idea what it is even about. I've been watching Adult Swim for two years, so, unless they have been showing it in some obscure timeslot, they haven't played it for awhile.

Brakus wrote:
But quite honestly, I think the comedy audience and the anime audience is mutually exclusive. One audience doesn't really bleed into the other audience. You notice how painfully out of place certain comedy-based Adult Swim promos are during anime shows? I mean, this past Saturday's FMA airing -- quite angsty and plot-driven, this week -- had some irreverent but questionable promos for its comedies during the entr'acte break (the break that begins right after Act 1); what the hell is a Stroker & Hoop promo doing during the break for FMA?

I agree with this for the most part. Most of the folks on this forum do have one or two comedy series that they watch (whether it be Family Guy, ATHF, and/or Boondocks), but otherwise completely ignore the comedy shows. I was watching FMA this weekend with my girlfriend when that Stroker and Hoop promo came on. When she saw it (understand that she doesn't own a TV and only watches FMA with me) she said, "Who the hell would watch that?" I responded, "Not me," which is true.

I think advertising Boondocks during the Anime is a little more appropriate since it has a similar art style and tends to have much more mature comedy than the other crap they show, which is incredibly juvenile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5