• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suzuka.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
pure3nergy wrote:
I think someone should start a thread about personal stories and experiences of heartbreak that people would like to share to other people.

I thought about it too. But like I said, those kinds of stories aren't really fond memories for most people. Sure, I posted my own experience, but I've learned to deal with it.

Personally, I feel it's selfish to even try garnering that sort of attention. It's always been a paranoid belief of mine that if I tell anyone my story, it looks like I'm trying to gain sympathy, while they waste their time listening to my tales of foolish angst and laughable adolescent efforts. We're better off moving on and doing something productive.

Not to mention, it would be off-topic. . .

To resurrect this for a moment, has anyone happened to see the raw for episode 25? It really redeems some of the low points of the series, and shows that spoiler[even Yamato has some trace of masculinity in him, as evidenced by that kiss. Sure, he got the bejeezus slapped out of him Laughing but you gotta give him credit for trying. Nice to see a sports anime end with romantic content rather than "the final showdown."]
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:21 am Reply with quote
episode 25 spoilers:
spoiler[My guess is either something DRASTIC and unreal will happen, or yamato just doesn't win suzuka. I mean how much can happen in 1 remaining episode?

After getting B17ch slapped like that, more than 5 times in a row. They won’t be friends again for sure.]

Over all, yamato is really a good guy, he has his imperfections, a bit thick and sometimes doesn’t take others feelings into consideration, easy to manipulate… , also does stupid things at times. But he has lots of guts.
Suzuka is really undeceive, if she really didn’t like yamato, then he would be a stalker and she wouldn't bother with him any more, but she goes here and there giving him small green lights that gets yamato to peruse her only to get painfully rejected in the end. I think the problem is that in fact she (episode 15+ spoiler) spoiler[DOES see the dead guy in yamato, and at times seeks him as a replacement. So in the end, its hope less, my guess is that she doesn’t have special feeling for yamato, but can develop them as soon as she consider him as an individual! ]

I hope the author can wrap up his mess and give us a nice ending insted of cliche and overboard accidents and stuff like that.

-TAKAVAR
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:44 am Reply with quote
I saw the raw for 26 awhile back as well, and considering that the manga continues on (as always), I will say, without saying anything about the content, that the ending was satisfactory. Actually, I really liked spoiler[the graveside "confession" scene where Suzuka finally gives Kazuki an answer by saying that there is someone else that she likes, with Yamato standing beside her the whole time. Very well-done, and very indirect--definitely "Suzuka-らしい," if you know what I mean.]
kay0ss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
I already know how it ends cause of the manga, etc, so I hope, HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE, that there will be a second season...though I've already heard rumors that it flopped in Japan, so that makes me want to hope EVEN more XO.

But yeah, the show rocks <3
Gauss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
kay0ss wrote:
though I've already heard rumors that it flopped in Japan,

I wouldn't be too surprised about that. I mean the Japanese watch anime from TV rather than downloading. So if the beginning of a show comes off wrong, and the audience tunes out, the barrier to start watching again after missing episodes inbetween is pretty high. Fansubs are far more flexible, allowing us to easily get into the story again if we hear that the show improves. In Suzuka's case the first episode was lame but fortunately somebody immediately yanked the story in the right direction after that. Unfortunately it still took a few episodes to set up the conditions for the goodness that would follow.

Visavi episode 25, I was impressed with both Honoka and Akitsuki. I was so afraid of a Karekano ending when Honoka showed up but, ooh, you go girl! And Akitsuki didn't let Suzuka run off, he listened, he talked and when he saw that rational arguments wouldn't work he stormed the walls. He did everything right but unfortunately chance played a bad card when it seemed Fortress Suzuka was about to raise the white flag. My impression is that the situation is by no means irretrievable. Just another determined push and the castle will fall.

spoiler[I know, I know, there are some guys who think Akitsuki behaved abominably in forcing the kiss. But come on, manly kisses are pretty much staples of romance movies. Even in real life there are girls who will melt for a well-timed surprise kiss. And oh man, oh man, I just loved the way Honoka knocked some hard truths into Suzuka. Yup, yup, she's a tigress disguised as a mouse.]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I finally got a chance to catch up on episodes 24 and 25. Sorry it took so long, I was watching Zeta Gundam the past week and a half Razz.

Anyway, this series is definitely starting to feel more resolved towards the end, so that's good. I now understand why Suzuka has been trying to distance herself, as I shared a similar situation towards the end of my uber dramatic heartbreak story back on the first page of this thread.

[EDIT: Deleted my story.]

Hahaha, I guess seeing so many similarites between my own life and this series is why I like it so much, after all. I know I said I didn't want to include anymore personal stories, but how the heck can this anime be so accurate with its scenarios Shocked?

And I agree: spoiler[ it's nice to see Akitsuki continuing to pursue Suzuka, despite her attitude. That kiss may have been a bit forced, but the context of it was perfectly timed, in my opinion. Something tells me a part of Suzuka didn't object to it, but being such an emotional person in the first place, it's no surprise she still slapped him a bunch.

I also like how Sakurai stood her ground and talked some sense into Suzuka. I rarely see supporting characters make that big of an impact in either changing or just pointing out a big plot element or characteristic of the protagonist (at least in terms of a romance series).]

I just hope the last episode is good enough for the anime ending, with the real ending to come in the manga (which I've yet to read).

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
Oof, lovely ending. Not only were all the side characters brought in for a worthy goodbye (except the newspaper girl) but it also alluded to many of the earlier events that were so important in the development of their relationship. spoiler[Especially the acceptance shown by holding hands, which was such an important reason for why Akitsuki confessed the first time around.] What comes around, goes around.

Pats to Akitsuki for ignoring Yasunobu's advice this time around. Suzuka also regained her confidence, though I think it's funny that she still could not bring herself to talk openly with Akitsuki. I don't mean the mute school, but later on when she had to resort to an indirect spoiler[graveside confession]. Ok, bit unfair since the scene was very nicely done and highly appropriate for the show. However, I think Akitsuki was wrong in saying she had never looked cuter than at that moment, her reaction was a lot cuter on the way to school when Akitsuki spoiler[grabbed her hand].

Oh, and the ending song has never sounded lovelier.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
I read on another forum that bringing in the side characters was mostly filler. There wasn't enough manga material to span the entire episode for the desired ending point, so they filled the space a bit with the other characters.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the last episode, and the ending was pretty satisfying, in my opinion. In the case of other romance anime I've seen, there usually isn't any kind of resolve, but this series in particular made an effort to, at least, spoiler[ put the two protagonists in a position that can either leave the viewer happy or wanting more.]

I hear the manga is still going, but this ending was good enough to end the anime. spoiler[ Not that there was much else that could've happened; either they end up going out with each other or they don't.] Although, the journey to getting there was quite the experience, and that is what I enjoyed the most.

I suppose if you want to speculate on a possible second season, perhaps they could go a bit more down the route of Kare Kano and spoiler[ actually expose more of the difficulties of their relationship, but I think they covered a lot of it through the initial 26 episodes already. Anymore would probably be not enough new material or just plain repetitive.]

Anyway, it's an Excellent series, overall. If anyone out there is looking for a good romance, definitely check this out and spread the word to your friends.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the series last night myself and thought it was pretty good. I didn't think a sports/romance anime would be so interesting. spoiler[Although if I were Akitski I would forgot about Suzuka for being such a cold fish constantly denying she had any feeling for him. I personally don't care for people who don't like me, and the kind of relationship where I'd fight with the girl constantly is not one I would want. I felt really sorry for Honoka at the end of the series. At least Suzuka went through some character development and got rid of her mental bagage.]
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I don't think you need spoiler tags for general stuff like that. Anyway, the thing is that Azahina did like Akitsuki almost from the beginning. I would say he caught her eye in episode 3 when he inadvertently praised her for looking good when she jumps. Then in the next episode he showed his sprinting skill for the first time and that's when Suzuka became attracted to him. Unfortunately, it also reminded her of "him" (cue ominous music).

Later in the same episode the two were walking home when Asahina was forced to dodge a reckless driver. That shook her up, although it's easy to overlook the significance at this early stage. Now, Akitsuki does pick up on the attraction (good boy, not a complete bonehead) but doesn't pick up on Asahina trying to come to grips with some complex emotional stuff. He just wonders why she is acting hot and cold all the time. It doesn't help that Yasunobu suggests she's merely feigning disinterest.

So fast forward to episode 6 spoiler[where Akitsuki confesses to her. Now, pay close attention! Asahina doesn't say no! First she treats it as a joke, then when she realises he's serious she apologizes and says it's too early. Akitsuki is crushed but after a good night's sleep he seems to realize it's not over yet. And he's right, Asahina feels sorry and a bit wary, but there's no hate. But instead of giving her a bit of space he is stupid enough to encroach on her territory by joining the athletics club.] And that's when Asahina's feelings start yoyoing between anger and attraction (which confuses the heck out of Akitsuki). Add in what we learn later about her past and both their actions become a lot more comprehensible.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
pure3nergy wrote:
I think someone should start a thread about personal stories and experiences of heartbreak that people would like to share to other people.

I thought about it too. But like I said, those kinds of stories aren't really fond memories for most people. Sure, I posted my own experience, but I've learned to deal with it.

Personally, I feel it's selfish to even try garnering that sort of attention. It's always been a paranoid belief of mine that if I tell anyone my story, it looks like I'm trying to gain sympathy, while they waste their time listening to my tales of foolish angst and laughable adolescent efforts. We're better off moving on and doing something productive.

Hey you know what? I think I do the same. I'm always thinking that if I share some of my sadder stories it seems like a cry for attention and sympathy. Consiously I try not to tell those kind of stories but sometimes I do it sub-consiously. Anyways yeah I'm back and bringing vengeance on the useless topics which drove me off the ANN forums for 2 months. Prepare to burn new-comers with horrible topics and users with horrible grammar!!!!!!! Twisted Evil MUHAZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!! Twisted Evil

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
that was a great ending, i was afraid that the last episode might ruin every thing, but i actually really liked it.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
OK. So I started watching Suzuka this week, and it's a very good romantic comedy. The comedy itself is a bit subtle compared to other series I've seen in this genre, but the romance seems quite complex.

It's clearly written to be more of a drama, and there are some things I like such as being able empathize for Yamato when he: spoiler[ had a crush on Asahina and finally had the guts to confess so soon.]

However, much like other love triangles: spoiler[ it saddens me to see how Yamato's indecisiveness is causing all sorts of problems for Asahina, as well as Honoka. In fact, I could almost say I'm becoming angry at him for being so "irresponsible," as everyone tends to call him.]

I'm not really sure how to feel now. Romance titles that get this complicated usually make me feel mushy inside, and I'm sure a lot of people would love to see things work out for the better.

Heck, the way things were at the beginning would probably be my dream scenario for meeting the love of my life, but for crying out loud, that Yamato is just making things worse.

Any comments or opinions from others that have seen this series?

Suzuka, along with Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, is one of THE most cliche examples of Korean dramas. I wouldn't be surprised if both anime were ripped off from various Korean dramas and compiled together. I'm not saying they're lacking originality or that they're not good anime; just that I've seen a lot of these to know the pattern.

As for the guy pissing you off, he pissed me off too but that's the conflict. It's harder to think realistically because it's anime and not live action, but he/she/whoever are all only human and their flaws are what makes the conflicts and thus the romance/drama. I'm pretty sure anybody would make stupid mistakes when it comes to love, though not as drastic as Suzuka's characters.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Suzuka, along with Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, is one of THE most cliche examples of Korean dramas. I wouldn't be surprised if both anime were ripped off from various Korean dramas and compiled together. I'm not saying they're lacking originality or that they're not good anime; just that I've seen a lot of these to know the pattern.

Hm.. you know, now that I think about it. The one and only Korean romantic comedy I've seen and can remember is My Sassy Girl. And thinking about Suzuka and the girl from that movie, I see a lot similiarties in terms of character. I never would've thought of that till you mentioned this. Thanks Razz. Love that movie, by the way. It's my favorite romantic comedy of any language (though aside from Hollywood, Hong Kong, and a few Japanese, that's not too many in the first place Anime smallmouth).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4