• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-12-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:10 am Reply with quote
Mate, you're a tough biscuit to make laugh. I thought my Saikano entry was a sure winner. Oh well, I guess you don't like panty jokes. Anyway, I got a great caption for the puppy picture.

Puppy on the left: Eww! his breath smells!
Puppy on the right: Gotta pee, Gotta Pee! GOTTA PEE!

That first picture is just too washed out for any ideas. but I got a good one for the second one though which I'll send in now.
DarkMirage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:37 am Reply with quote
Maceart wrote:
For your information, Manwha is also Mandarin for "comic books".

Actually, that would be "manhua".
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:34 am Reply with quote
exukvera wrote:
You' ve forgotten about FMA episode 37. Three hilarious little stories about Mustang's troupe without any link to the main story.

It's already been mentioned:

penguintruth wrote:
And then there's the Roy episode, but that has important actions in it between humorous scenes (and at the end), to give it a point.

And he's correct that it does have some plot points in it, particularly ones with Archer involved.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's also a long-standing argument that the real difference between the two is that manhwa is of consistently lower quality than manga is, and is generally really derivative and unoriginal. I've read a few good Korean comics in my day, but I'd have to say this observation isn't totally off the mark.

Funny, I've heard the same thing about OEL 'manga' or Amerimanga (hate that term.

-Xenos
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
What about episode four? With the blue flowers, the puppets, and the little sister dressing like a boy? Sure haven't seen that one anywhere in the FMA manga.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen it, but doesn't Cowboy Bebop have an Episode XX, which was basically a recap ep? Would that be considered filler as well?

Did it even have any new scenes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
Maceart wrote:
For your information, Manwha is also Mandarin for "comic books".

Actually, I believe the preferred transliteration for the chinese characters 漫画 is "man hua."

The Korean (만화), Japanese (漫画) and Chinese (漫画 / 漫畫) (an odd case of a simplified character that is IMHO harder to write that the tradictional character) characters are the same ones, but I'm not certain if the term originates in China or Japan. The Japanese "manga" was first used by a Japanese woodblock artist, Katsushika Hokusai, in 1814; but I don't know if he invented the term or if he borrowed it from Chinese. It is possible that the term was imported to China from Japan.

Best way to be sure would be to look for the earliest know uses of 漫画 in China.

Odly enough I was talking to someone about this yesterday afternoon.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
NOT ONE of the entries you guys sent me was good enough for the win. Seriously. I guess the picture just wasn't really condusive to comedy gold.

not good enough? or not approriate for print
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! Puppies! I've been secretly wanting to see a puppy picture for ages. Not that I especially dislike cats--I just think puppies are cuter. Could we have more? Minus Hasselhoff? Pretty please? Even if it's only once a month?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
I haven't seen it, but doesn't Cowboy Bebop have an Episode XX, which was basically a recap ep? Would that be considered filler as well?

Did it even have any new scenes?

It doesn't technically count as an episode. It's an "extra".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree that manwha tends to be inferior to it's Japanese counterpart. Which ones have you read that are good? The only one that looks decent, to me, is President Dad.
Train

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
the episode with Paninya, the girl that can fire a rocket from her auto-mail leg. Completely pointless, and actually the single black splotch on an otherwise brilliant series.

Although, the Paninya thing wasn't pointless in the manga. I don't recall its anime counterpart, but some of what happened with her and Rush Valley had to do with the plot, even if it was just a little bit (that and she's in the manga again for a bit later on).

A few episodes in the beginning (and the odd few in the second half) were filler ones, though it may have seemed more so for the avid manga reader that hasn't paid much attention to the anime. Anime smile*
Animekid08.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
If the contest for that particular screen shot is over, can some of you people that sent in entries tell us what you said? I just want to know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
In the manga, Paninya becomes another recurring character, Winry stays with her to become a better automail mechanic, and there is a scene where the Elric Brothers witness the old mechanic's daughter-in-law giving birth. In the tv show, Hughes' wife was in labor instead and Pan's story was cut to a single episode.

Yes, there is a good diversion between the show and manga, as far as I know from my scanlations. I even know about some characters from an Eastern Nation being cut from the show, and that spoiler[ Barry the Chopper was supposed to work with Mustang's group as a witness to the prison scenes before getting killed by himself (long story) ]. Would've been cool if those were kept in. Eh.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If the contest for that particular screen shot is over, can some of you people that sent in entries tell us what you said? I just want to know.

Hey, that's a good idea. How 'bout it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4