• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara Projected to Win 4th Term

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
What's wrong with Freezing and Kodomo no Jikan? I never watched Freezing, but I read Kodomo no Jikan. It's a nice series. and I like the fact it can be made in Japan, but it sure as hell isn't going to be made in America which is extremely puritan and prudish and treats sex as some evil act. If you don't like these series, that's fine, but some people do. Censorship is never a good thing; it stifles creativity on the basis that someone's opinion is more valid than another.

Apparently some thought we were meant to get excited with naked chicks being amputated in Freezing. Which is why it attracted a whole bunch of haters who didn't even get past the first episode. In other words, what the person over there considers wrong in Freezing is the fact that it mixes nudity and blood. But then again, nudity in anime is at best bare breasts or butts, and in Freezing's case, the former for the most part.
I've also seen Kodomo and didn't find anything objectionable from an open minded person's perspective. Sure there's plenty of people out there who'd find a little girl sexually harassing a teacher offensive, though.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Hectotane wrote:
* Haruhi Suzumiya (franchise about keeping a female dog happy)

Wow. Sexist much? Rolling Eyes
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
They need like a new term for the political system in Tokyo. I don't think democracy is appropriate. Maybe Quasi-Oligarcy or something? It seems they only want to change leaders when they die from old age as far as I can tell.

And as far as the person defending the "pod-cast." Those arguments were moronic. Labeling freedom of speech as extreme libertarianism is frankly scary. The fact is it's been illegal for the government to restrict the publishing industry in America for decades for a reason. Even if it's offensive to you, it's still free speech. You can't have a half and half free society. It doesn't work like that.
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Hey, ANN, I might have bad eyesight, bit I think you forgot to add the word "rape" between the words "former" and "novelist"
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Hey, ANN, I might have bad eyesight, bit I think you forgot to add the word "rape" between the words "former" and "novelist"

i just thought of something funny what would happen if they made an anime from his novels? Would he watch it lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty disgusting that a conservative piece of trash like this asshole can get elected in much a modern cutting edge mega-city like Tokyo. Tokyo may be ahead of any city in the US technologically, but socially it's still in the dark ages like some small podunk town out of the deep south in America. This governor is about as modern as some hick sheriff longing for the good old days of slaves picking cotton. I know there have been accusations that he and a number of other Japanese politicians long for the good old days of the emperor and fascism. My heart goes out to the Japanese people who want a socially modern Japan and have to fight against not-so-nice-people like this, women and gays in particular.
Jarm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
http://www.japantoday.com/category/commentary/view/tokyo-electorate-counting-on-ishiharas-disaster-control-skills

From what I gather from this is that he rode that same wave that Obama rode at the start of the financial crisis- being perceived to be only one to be able to lead during the disaster. Thus, "strong man" Ishihara got a political shot in the arm.

Which makes a lot of sense since Obama's Japanese double, PM Kan and his party, are seen as being weak and incompetent during the whole ordeal.
lewisfoster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
Can someone who is knowledgeable about Japanese politics please explain why a candidate with social positions more suited to the inaka consistently wins in the most cosmopolitan prefecture in the country?

Because <39% of the people showed up at the polls.

Lewis
lewisfoster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Hectotane wrote:
WHAT IDIOT PUTS NUCLEAR PLANTS IN AN AREA KNOWN FOR EARTHQUAKES AND TSUNAMIES??.

There were a lot of reactors along that coast, and they all came through a magnitude 9 earthquake (and a dozen subsequent magnitude 8 and 7 aftershocks) with flying colors.

Remember, this was a half-century old power plant design. And if you think that there are all kinds of insoluble problems with Tepco, this success occurred despite all that. You don’t have to posit a perfect, corruption-free energy administration to have reasonably safe nuclear power.

The tsunami was the problem, and only in the sense that it cut off the power.

Ensuring power after an earthquake and tsunami seems like a solvable engineering problem. The onsite power and backup needs to be protected from tsunami water (bring in the guys who design nuclear submarines), and there should be offsite backups to the backups that can be brought within a couple of hours (this seems like something the SDF should be tasked with).
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Hectotane wrote:
* WHAT IDIOT PUTS NUCLEAR PLANTS IN AN AREA KNOWN FOR EARTHQUAKES AND TSUNAMIES??
Wow. How do I begin on how stupid this statement is? Leave your NIMBY hippie politics out of this. Let me answer your dumb question.

First of all. The governor has little to nothing to do with this national movement for power. Second. With the proper failsafes nuclear power is safe. It's cleaner and greener than the majority of fossil fuel plants America uses. Compare the great number of people who die each year due to mining fossil fuel to the small number that die (or rather have not died) from nuclear power. Japan was ravaged by its greatest earthquake ever and the only reason one of its many plants failed was because one large tsunami wall protecting back up generators was less than a meter too short.

Is nuclear power completely safe? Of course not. No manner of energy production is. Every one has its pros and cons. Yet people are closed minded and think nuclear power is nothing but a danger.

And you ask why Japan would adopt nuclear power? Gee. They're an island country with high population and limited natural resources. They'd have to import fossil fuels. Not to mention the pollution from such plants. So of course they're going to adopt the more efficient and less foreign resource dependent option of nuclear power.

And I swear to Einstein if you even whisper Chernobyl, you'll have proved to me you know nothing about the thing you complain about. That's not even comparable to the situation in Japan. And if anyone California and worried about radiation from the Japanese plant, they're an idiot. There are far greater sources of radiation you encounter in everyday life, never mind all the chemical carcinogens.

So you know what? You need to quit complaining about nuclear power since you clearly don't understand the obvious reasons why Japan would embrace it.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Hectotane wrote:
* WHAT IDIOT PUTS NUCLEAR PLANTS IN AN AREA KNOWN FOR EARTHQUAKES AND TSUNAMIES??
Wow. How do I begin on how stupid this statement is? Leave your NIMBY hippie politics out of this. Let me answer your dumb question.

First of all. The governor has little to nothing to do with this national movement for power. Second. With the proper failsafes nuclear power is safe. It's cleaner and greener than the majority of fossil fuel plants America uses. Compare the great number of people who die each year due to mining fossil fuel to the small number that die (or rather have not died) from nuclear power. Japan was ravaged by its greatest earthquake ever and the only reason one of its many plants failed was because one large tsunami wall protecting back up generators was less than a meter too short.

Is nuclear power completely safe? Of course not. No manner of energy production is. Every one has its pros and cons. Yet people are closed minded and think nuclear power is nothing but a danger.

And you ask why Japan would adopt nuclear power? Gee. They're an island country with high population and limited natural resources. They'd have to import fossil fuels. Not to mention the pollution from such plants. So of course they're going to adopt the more efficient and less foreign resource dependent option of nuclear power.

And I swear to Einstein if you even whisper Chernobyl, you'll have proved to me you know nothing about the thing you complain about. That's not even comparable to the situation in Japan. And if anyone California and worried about radiation from the Japanese plant, they're an idiot. There are far greater sources of radiation you encounter in everyday life, never mind all the chemical carcinogens.

So you know what? You need to quit complaining about nuclear power since you clearly don't understand the obvious reasons why Japan would embrace it.

It shouldn't have been built there. You lost this argument, because the tsunami occurred there and created a catastrophe. So obviously a mistake was made. If it has to be on a coast line, put it on one that isn't directly next to a fault line. The fact people would defend this just amazes me, and the only defense is to start calling people hippies for something that went horrendously wrong. You may as well be arguing in favor of the citizens of Pompei to build their city next to the volano.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently some thought we were meant to get excited with naked chicks being amputated in Freezing.
Sigh, I don't see how anyone could have been excited by that, they barely showed it, and it was anything but visceral. Not my thing. Biology was sorely neglected in that show--those girls bleed more blood than a person has. Also, they must be damn skilled to slash clothes off of breasts without actually putting gashes into them...an act which seems asinine when they are trying to kill one another.

I'd like to point out that I have seen the majority of Freezing--hence I knew its fanservice was class-less. Gratuitous panty shots, especially when they make no sense (the girls can spawn clothes at will) are cheap, and rather disgusting. Unlike the majority of the populace, I don't understand that whole allure to that article of clothing. Frankly, it's in the way. Wink

It's not as though I reviled Freezing--it had the potential to be a simpler, more fun Mai-HiME. Perhaps even having some drama and a non-emo lead. But I'm 75% through it, and it doesn't seem as though that's going to happen. If nothing else, and there isn't much else, it is at least interesting to see a "girls with guns" harem show where the male characters can actually do something.

On conservative outrage, you understand where I'm coming from. The Japanese conservatives see Freezing and its ilk as a low for Japan. They vote accordingly, and as the thread shows, in more numbers than anyone who would be praising Freezing. There, like America, it seems that the idealistic youth by and large can't be bothered to vote.
Quote:
It shouldn't have been built there. You lost this argument, because the tsunami occurred there and created a catastrophe. So obviously a mistake was made.

Yes, because the Japanese knew that in 2011 a massive earthquake and tsunami would hit that piece of land. Glad to know they could predict the future. Your argument is beyond flawed. In an earthquake-laden, Pacific island nation, any point of land could be struck. Rolling Eyes Why nuclear was the only option for the Japanese has already been elaborated upon.
shokenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
its pretty simple. because majority of tokyo thinks like him.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, because the Japanese knew that in 2011 a massive earthquake and tsunami would hit that piece of land. Glad to know they could predict the future. Your argument is beyond flawed. In an earthquake-laden, Pacific island nation, any point of land could be struck. Rolling Eyes Why nuclear was the only option for the Japanese has already been elaborated upon.

It isn't rocket science. Look at a map of where the fault lines are near Japan. It was the height of stupidity to build it there. End of story. There are other places to build nuclear plants on that island. Again look at the a map. It isn't brain surgery. You have no argument other than appeasing authority when the fail their citizens by being incompetent and lazy. This isn't a joke. People had to move out of their homes, leaving their belongins behind, and many people will probalby end up dying of cancer over this.

Last edited by Ghidra999 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
Quote:

It isn't rocket science. Look at a map of where the fault lines are near Japan. It was the height of stupidity to build it there. End of story. There are other places to build nuclear plants on that island. Again look at the a map. It isn't brain surgery. You have no argument other than appeasing authority when the fail their citizens by being incompetent and lazy. This isn't a joke. People had to movie out of their homes, leaving their belongins behind, and many people will probalby end up dying of cancer over this.

i am going to hell for this but radiation/kemo fights and helps cure cancer or lessen it. That's all i gotta say, have fun in this derailed thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6