• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Welcome to Fuccons Week.

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
MY TURN! Hoohah!

Wow, there's a lot of Fuccon hate 'round these parts. Personally I think the show's pretty funny in a Sealab sort of way. It is kind of weird having it here in that it's not techinically an anime, but it's close enough (and you could make the case that it's a type of photographic animation, like Corpse Bride with way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way fewer frames per second.)

Anyway, to the "OMG sellout" crowd:

1-Selling out implies that this is going to change the way the site is run. It's not. It's not going to turn into a shrine to ADV, and if they were going to do that they wouldn't be so obvious about it. They'd subtly put a story in the quenue entitled "THIS JUST IN: ADV is the Coolest Thing in History, Say Scientists" or something. What's going on here is just advertising. ANN's been accepting advertising since day one. This is no different than a banner ad. Except...

2-You can get rid of it, which is something you can't do with a banner ad. Just switch your skin and you can pretend Dr. Sam Beckett changed history so Fuccons Week never happened. Ziggy says there's a 90% chance he's here to do that, and somehow in the process an estranged couple gets back together, because that always happens. Anyway, if ANN really wanted to sell out, they wouldn't have given you the chance to turn the skin off. That's pretty nice of them, actually. Most sites that let you turn off advertising charge you for the privledge.

3-Maybe you think The Fuccons sucks. I won't argue with that. It's very hit-or-miss, and some people won't like it. But if ANN decided to only run ads for shows that the majority of readers thought didn't suck, they'd be bankrupt in about eight seconds. Case in point: The Dragon Ball GT ad that's running atop the screen as I type this.

4-I didn't even KNOW there were multiple skins. FUCCONS WEEK IS EDUCATIONAL.

5-The red-and-yellow color scheme is actually pretty nice. It makes me want a hot dog.

Sorry if some of these have already been said. I didn't have time to read all eight million posts. Wink
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The red-and-yellow color scheme is actually pretty nice. It makes me want a hot dog.

I like the color scheme as well. It's about time that ANN made the skins readable (even though it's only for a week). Wine and gold make a pretty good color combination, if you know what I mean. Wink
Astribulus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Long-time reader, first-time poster.

I must say that the recent bout of advertising has gotten to me. Aside from the fact that the color scheme on this new skin is downright hideous, I feel turning the site into a giant advertisement is degrading to the actual content. While posts by those in charge assure otherwise, my initial reaction to the Fuccons skin was that ANN had come to value its advertisers more than its readership. This first impression is very dangerous.

An earlier poster stated that there is no such thing as a sellout in a capitalistic society. In a purely economic sense, this is true. The goal of any company is to maximize profits. However, when the product is dependent on perception, even perceived loss of integrity (journalistic, artistic, etc.) can have nasty repercussions. Whether this is perception is real or imagined does not actually matter.

Since there was an easy way to change the skin (albeit I had to check the forum to learn of this option), I choose to give ANN the benefit of the doubt. Unless I begin seeing evidence of bias in reviews and columns, I won't stop reading. Others may or may not be as willing to do likewise.

tempest wrote:
(following peoples comments regarding the previous WB banner).

Previous? It's at the top of my screen as I type this. I can't honestly say ADV has lost a sale since I did not plan to buy Fuccons anyway, but Warner Brothers certainly has.
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I've always loved the Wolfwood skin. Nothing like Nick smoking a cig with his cross-gun ready.

Edit: And to those who couldn't find out how to change the skin, it says it right on the left side Navigation bar under Interactive. I know some of you have been going here for years and didn't know it was there. Learn to read things people.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Astribulus, I seriously doubt that ANN is losing it's journalistic integrity in the least. I still trust the reviewers to say if something sucks or not, regardless of who pays the ads. ANN has more integrity than that. Some of the other ads may be annoying, but ANN is far from selling out or anything of that nature. They're just trying to keep the site running.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:
Astribulus, I seriously doubt that ANN is losing it's journalistic integrity in the least. I still trust the reviewers to say if something sucks or not, regardless of who pays the ads. ANN has more integrity than that. Some of the other ads may be annoying, but ANN is far from selling out or anything of that nature. They're just trying to keep the site running.

Their site has run just fine for 7 years without pulling something as annoying as the Fuccons skin.
Astribulus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:

I don't either, as I stated in my post. I'm merely stating that this skin gives the terrible first impression that ANN has started a nasty road towards that point. While the slippery slope argument is often a fallacy stemming from the assumption of a trend, it is quick to spring to mind.

Faceman wrote:
Edit: And to those who couldn't find out how to change the skin, it says it right on the left side Navigation bar under Interactive. I know some of you have been going here for years and didn't know it was there. Learn to read things people.

I had no reason to look for a skins option until today. Reading wasn't the problem.
bebop26

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't mind the skin change for the week. Its not like ANN is doing what other sites do (*coughG4cough*) and having ads follow your mouse every single frame your moving it. If you don't like the skin, you could change the skin, plain and simple.

Hey, I never even heard of The Fuccons until today, and it looks... pretty intefesting. Judging from the trailer, I'll probably pick up the preview DVD.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Man we have some whiney people here. Selling out? They're just putting up an ad. A bright scary ad. Nothing wrong with it just change it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Strategos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
People that blindly defend this form of advertisment (or ANN's actions) are just as bad as the people that over-react to the (temporary) skin change.

Since you can change the skin back to what it was, it is no big deal. However, if I didn't know about the skin change option, or if you couldn't do it, I probably wouldn't visit the site for the entire week the ad is running. It is THAT distracting.

I come here for anime news and reviews, not to be bombarded by non-anime products. Banner ads are one thing, but changing the site skin changes the feeling and attitude of the site as well. Just my opinion though.
Claus Valca

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Granted,

I was really freaked out when I saw that new skin/banner. Was I on the right site? Did some l33t haxors get to ANN?

Nope. Just a special ad campaign.

Accomplished two incredibilly positive things, however:

1) Got me to register to ANN (finally!).
2) Got to to find the alternative ANN skins and set up Narusegawa Blue skin.

See, it isn't as bad as it seems!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
it got me to register too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:

It wasn't as much a problem of reading the menu for me as I don't usually mess with the skins function to begin with. So while I had read the menu in the past, it didn't stick in my mind that it mentioned Skins.

Anyway, I've found this entire situation very positive as a whole. I know now we have more than one skin for here and it seems ANN put in a "return to defaul skin" link under the "Skins" page, which IMO they should have had to begin with. I was wondering last night how I was suppose to get back to default skin last night, after I changed Firefox to the Trigun skin (I left IE on default) and now I know that, as well Smile .

As for the skin advertising something - at least it isn't like IGN or G4TV sites where they do similar things but feel they have to have popups and flash ads to go along with it Anime dazed. I'm must happier with this sort of passive change, over ads I have to click through.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this was all just a ploy to get people to register in the forums or check out the skins option. Wink I mean, look how many first time posters we have in this thread.

Seriously, though, I don't think ANN 'sold out' or is on some dark path. I just think it was a blindingly ugly design.
f00fbug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see a problem with Fuccons week... actually it's intriguing me to check out the show, might be worth a cheap laugh or two Very Happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13