• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Welcome to Fuccons Week.

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
this is the uggliest layout i have ever seen. If this Fuccon is an anime, I want no part of it Shocked
bluechibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
hmm my post was deleted, what a bits Rolling Eyes

I'm curious as to why ADV are really heavily promoting this series, I found it to be quite poor and feel the money would have been better invested with other projects or series.

I feel bad about not using the default skin because Tempest got really ticked off when someone said they used an ad-blocker to get rid of all the banners (I believe he banned him briefly) and I'm basically doing the same thing by not using the default skin. I wonder if ADV can get the figures on who's using the default skin and who's avoiding it. Probably only a small fraction, maybe 10% at most.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
I'm curious as to why ADV are really heavily promoting this series, I found it to be quite poor and feel the money would have been better invested with other projects or series.

It's one thing entirely to block all ads before you even see them and another to see one and decide that you don't want to see that ad again.

I have nothing against people that fall into the latter category and take the necessarry measures to block the ad(s) in question.

In fact, in the future I might build something into the site that does that for you. Its a benefit to advertisors if the impressions they pay for aren't going to people who hate the ads. And obviously its good for the readers.

-t
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
This skin change seems a silly thing for people to get upset about, seeing as ANN is a free site and needs the ads to exist. I, for one, support you and don't mind it at all. At least The Fuccons are something anime fans might be interested in.

(Though I have to say, I watched my first Fuccon episode on Anime on Demand over the weekend, and found it too creepy to continue. I felt like I was seeing into the mind of a serial killer for some reason, and switched back to Cromartie High for some much needed laughs.)
Talon87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I felt like I was seeing into the mind of a serial killer for some reason

I personally was reminded of this silly villain from my childhood TV watching. Please don't scroll down past "Other Media" if you don't want further fucced up nightmares.

That's probably the Fuccons greatest weakness, is its semblance to dummies and mannequins which (I know American children, at the very least) have seen time and again in children's books, children's television (above), and even horror cinema. Although there was that one movie from the '80s about a boy who falls in love with a mannequin woman and she becomes real. But see, nobody remembers that one, do they? Everybody remembers the creepy ones.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Well with ANN I'm sure most readers actually like the ads (well the anime and manga ones atleast). I think I remember people saying that when the discussion was on a subscription server with no ads. But I think Tempest said the sub server would have the option of allowing ads if you wanted.

I'm all for ads, especially those related to the website. One thing I've always wanted was trailers on ANN, though I know they cant be hosted. I dislike the idea of having to go to so many websites to see trailers, I'd rather they came to me, or atleast the only anime site I visit. Maybe that's something thats going to be put on the sub server. If thats the case then I'll subscribe straight away.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I watched the thing on TV...

Man was it creepy...

So it's like voiceovers on these doll things... in Japan

Not something I'd buy... I'd at least check it out if they put more ON-DEMAND
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
Late to the party I am. But it's certainly funny to see 13 pages of discussion showing the success of the Doll's Liberation Front's PR campaign. Razz

The Fuccons certainly isn't going to be my treat, but at least ADV's campaign makes me hear of it now. As with others, I find the color scheme disturbing, though the dolls don't seem that creepy. It's still waaaay better than audio ads though. (That incredibly grating "Fuccup, Doc" ad.)

Considering the "sell out" issue, I find it not intrusive at all as you can change your skin (OMG I just noticed that) and avoid the ad.

Oh well, I guess I prefer the default one best; the elf lady reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves... Wink

However, I've come to report the issue that, when changed into the "ANN anniversary" skin, some parts of the encyclopedia continue to be yellow/red as to the Fuccons theme. (The normally blue tabs that seperated the info pieces like staffs and all that.)

Edit: Wait, I checked again and it's blue like it should be. Wha..

Probably my eyes to blame. Forget it.

Edit 2: Erm...must be my eyes again, but, in the ANN anniversary skin, the "discuss"/"no more"/"more" buttons at the end of each news on the front page is fiery orange. This also happens on other skins.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:06 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Dan42 wrote:
Going from a fansite to a business is a weird transition to make. Maybe tempest's got it all figured out but I sure don't.

I trust you guys will do a good job. Recently, the most famous Chinese ACG-themed website / forum / *cough* tracker (with 3M registered users and over 8M visitors) was collapsed within just a month after its commercialization.

Watch your steps and Godspeed.
Well if it doesn't with only 2 full time employees the lay-off will be easy. Again it wasn't the ad that got to me, it was the over amped colour red.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:

That's probably the Fuccons greatest weakness, is its semblance to dummies and mannequins which (I know American children, at the very least) have seen time and again in children's books, children's television (above), and even horror cinema. Although there was that one movie from the '80s about a boy who falls in love with a mannequin woman and she becomes real. But see, nobody remembers that one, do they? Everybody remembers the creepy ones.

I agree, English speaking audience is brought up to see them as creepy for all those reasons. Though I was thinking more along the lines of Psycho, where the mother gets stuffed and posed. Not a mannequin, but the same general feeling. Ack.

There is a BL manga called Private Prince that I love though, about a selfish prince who was turned into a mannequin by a curse, and only awakens when he's alone with the one person who can love him. It's very sweet, and the mannequin aspect doesn't bother me there at all. Perhaps that's because drawings don't look so much like humans. Didn't someone do a study once, that showed the closer something looks to being human, but isn't quite, the creepier humans think it?
madlib

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
h

as I've metnioned in other posts, i think the fuccons has serious potential to attract audiences in the states. It has a quasi-simpsons feel too it and could fit on AS well I think. also, it has an edginess i think people are attracted to (or appalled by)....regardless, it's definitely a lightning rod of weirdness people will have an opinion on.....13 pages is pretty much proof of that!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13