Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Enforces Intellectual Property Rights


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Maceart



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Posts: 76
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I just find it weird they'll put a C & D before announcing a license... a new trend perhaps?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 2969
Location: L.A.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
As for the C&D-these guys were asking for it. It's not a case of them offering a series they didn't know FUNi had liscenced-they were offering DBZ episodes for download for cripes' sake. FUNi has owned the rights to that show for what-ten years now?


Nope they never did that. They have never distributed DBZ. They were distributing the Dragon Ball manga. Which as I said before, Funi doesn't even have the rights to. BTW, the letter also accused them of offering direct downloads and charging people for their fansubs which Shinsen subs has never done. Maybe Funi should have done a little research before writing that letter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Kusanagi_Kei



Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought Geneon would obtain the license too. Smile

The Xenos wrote:
To me, fansubs should be torrented and shared until the DVDs are out.

Only to find that people still continue to distribute or torrent titles after they were licensed. If there's one person out there has a saved series on hard disk or media, they can just make a torrent, upload and "wohoo" it's 2 years ago again (just like before the series was licensed), seed, seed, seed.

The Xenos wrote:
Maybe keep them on CD just for comparison reasons.

Ah yes. Or! When you've got the original copy, you could give the fansub CD/DVD backups to another friend regardless of whether s/he is interested or not.

To be honest, I'm fully supporting all of these acquisitions and company seizing fansubbers etc. Because we all know, at least 30% of the existing number of fansubbing groups out there I've seen literally take licensed DVDs, rip and distribute like there's no law out there. They simply hide their torrent links and not make them public on "you know where".

Okay, sorry, fansub debate again. I'll shut up.


Last edited by Kusanagi_Kei on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
minakichan





PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
So I'm assuming that ANN IS 100% sure of the credibility of this email?

Some people are saying that the fansub often generates the popularity for a show, which will make its release stateside more successful. This is often true, especially for shows with big fanbases. However, it's silly to say that Funi is digging its own grave by stopping the fansub. I think we're missing that fact that the fansubs actually EXISTED before Funi stopped them. I mean, how much more momentum can Tsubasa gain X number of months after its debut? Not much. Thus, by axing it here, Funi has already exploited the increased popularity, but essentially cuts the fansub off at a cliffhanger, forcing curious audiences to buy the Funi release to find out what happens. Overall, this is a pretty good marketing tactic.

Of course, there is some HUGE factors working against Funi. One is the huge wait for the Funi release, after which many fans will most likely lose interest and no longer care to see what happens later. (I've experienced this myself, with series like DNAngel axed in the middle.) Because I would guesstimate that a majority (I could be wrong) of fansub fans intend to act legally--to buy the DVDs of interesting series when they come out--I think that this really could be a major dint. However, more importantly, I think, is the public image. Moves like these will alienate many fans, who will even go so far as to boycott (and convince others to follow suit) these products. Of course, one such move may not in itself make such a difference, but a succession of moves really pisses people off (case in point: 4Kids, although its American-child audience may be enough to offset this; Funi lacks this possible balancer.)
Back to top
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 2969
Location: L.A.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
So I'm assuming that ANN IS 100% sure of the credibility of this email?


Well, I don't see a problem with posting the email as long as it's not a link to the site so:

Quote:
Mr. Kaunteya,

FUNimation Entertainment (“FUNimation” is a company engaged in the production of animated motion pictures. We own or control various exclusive copyrights and trademarks related to the animated motion pictures, including but not limited to, the series known as “Speed Grapher,” “Trinity Blood,” “FullMetal Alchemist,” “Dragon Ball,” “Solty Rei” a.k.a. “Origin,” “Detective Conan” a.k.a. “Case Closed,” and “Tsubasa” (hereafter referred to collectively as the "Properties" ). FUNimation holds exclusive rights to the Properties throughout the United States and other territories. Specifically, FUNimation is the exclusive licensee for production and distribution of home videos, DVDs, video CDs, and other home video formats and devices (hereafter referred to collectively as “Videograms” within the referenced territories.

Our investigations reveal that Shinsen-Subs.org is currently being used to distribute unlicensed electronic files, downloads, images and/or other products containing episodes, movies, or other embodiments of the Properties. The use of the Properties in this manner is NOT authorized by FUNimation Entertainment and is a violation of FUNimation's intellectual property rights.

Such unauthorized reproduction of copyrighted material, coupled with the offer of such reproductions for sale and profit, is a violation of federal law, and carries stiff penalties, both civil and criminal. For the foregoing reasons, FUNimation Entertainment hereby requests that you expeditiously cause all such infringing material to be permanently removed or the access thereto disabled.

We appreciate your cooperation and efforts to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. FUNimation wishes you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Ms. Enforcer

Intellectual Property Enforcement
FUNimation Entertainment


There it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Irukichan



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:


You have just proved the Geneon quote correct:
Fansubs hurt series eh series. Fansubs help Good series.

But CLAMP fans would probably buy it and like it just because its CLAMP.


I'm a CLAMP fan. I wouldn't buy it and like it because it was by CLAMP. Oh, and what are you saying? Fansubs hurt series because they allow people to preview their crappyness before they buy? I don't know about you, but I'm a highschool student and I don't have money to waste on a $30 DVD that I'll never watch again. They help good series, they hurt bad series--that seems pretty logical to me.

bayoab wrote:

Why do you hate them now? Because they stopped one show? There is lots of stuff out there. Beside, if someone hates the Tsubasa anime, they would just shrug it off and laugh.


I don't hate anyone. I'm saying that the fansub market does help the anime market in the same way that radio stations helps music or TV helps music. I have tons of VHS tapes filled with anime episodes I've recorded off the TV. Big deal, someone gonna come in and sue me for that, too? As for the Tsubasa anime, I don't really care. I was just making the point that fansubs saved me from buying it. I'm not vehement about it.

bayoab wrote:
Find someone who knows Japanese and ask them for an opinion. They will very likely disagree with you.


Find three people who knows Japanese and I'm sure those three peope will all give you slightly different translations to the same sentence. Better yet, go take a look at a precious little Funimation fansubbed DVD and find someone that knows Japanese. That'd be an even more productive experiment. Or the Naruto Manga. Or the Sailor Moon subs. Or a bunch of other "authentically" translated series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darkhunter



Joined: 13 May 2004
Posts: 2992
Location: Los Angelas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
People use fansub for preview purposes, but is it necessary to watch it completely before you decide it's for you or not? After 4 episode of a series, I think I can see if it's a series I would likely purchase.

I just think these people who whine about their free fansub not being complete to the end because it's license, probably would have never bought the DVD even if they were release. Ahh the luxury and convience of free fansub. And another poor excuse is "having to wait a year to finish the series", when there are tons of new exciting series being release every month on DVD, just pick those up in the meantime while you're waiting for your favorite show in japan to be brought over because the cycle is always there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Alchemist449



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Posts: 341
Location: LED ZEPPELIN! nuf said
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
On a related note, I recently qwuit watching fansubs because they were taking up to much space on my computer. I play WoW and Guild Wars so I need all the space i can get. (Warriors of the Shadow is my guild in both- recruiting now!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
darkhunter



Joined: 13 May 2004
Posts: 2992
Location: Los Angelas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Irukichan wrote:
bayoab wrote:


You have just proved the Geneon quote correct:
Fansubs hurt series eh series. Fansubs help Good series.

But CLAMP fans would probably buy it and like it just because its CLAMP.


I'm a CLAMP fan. I wouldn't buy it and like it because it was by CLAMP. Oh, and what are you saying? Fansubs hurt series because they allow people to preview their crappyness before they buy? I don't know about you, but I'm a highschool student and I don't have money to waste on a $30 DVD that I'll never watch again. They help good series, they hurt bad series--that seems pretty logical to me.


And the sad truth is most anime fans in high school or lower are less likely to pay for their entertainment than people who are working with a steady good paying job. And this is what fustrate a lot of people who do pay for their entertain: they have to work for it, while others freeloader are download them.


Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 2969
Location: L.A.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I just think these people who whine about their free fansub not being complete to the end because it's license, probably would have never bought the DVD even if they were release.


I know (or hope) you're not specifically refering to me. But I do buy anime when it comes out on DVD. The quality's much better and I like watching the dubs. I actually have bought more DVDs than I have downloaded fansubs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
ZeroRyoko1974



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Posts: 258
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Seems like Funi is trying some ADV tactics. Next thing they will do is probably copyright the initials FMA because that means Full Metal Alchemist, so anyone with the initials F M and A will get sued.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JShaggy



Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Posts: 7
Location: Memphis/Nashville
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I could care less about fansubs in general, even though I do watch them occasionally (I admit it). I'm still gonna actually go out and buy the series when it's released in the U.S., so it's really no big deal to me if a series gets picked up by Geneon, Bandai, ADV, or FUNimation, and fansubbing stops altogether. I'm still going to support anime even if it takes them a year before the first volume is released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starwind Amada



Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 981
Location: Easton, PA, USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Zac wrote:
Please do not turn this thread into a pro- or anti-fansub argument. We've had maybe 2 billion of those already.


What exactly do you want us to discuss then? There are going to be either people who are against Funi enforcing their property rights and people that are for it. Which really is basically an arguement about whether you're for or against subs. I don't see anything else to discuss. There are also going to be people in the middle but they're not going to stop the other ones.


So, you basically that all we should talk about when a series gets licensed is how the dub will turn out? Okay... why not discuss something like how they will treat the show or something along those lines? I can tell you're just itching to create a sub vs. dub argument.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
remember love



Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 764
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know about you, but I'm a highschool student and I don't have money to waste on a $30 DVD that I'll never watch again.

Strange...I would of said back when I was in highschool that I had the luxery of buying such items. Wait till you are out of high school and hopefully in college and with the hope of every other teenager out of your parents house. Where you'd be paying for alot more then you think(living conditions,tution,car if you don't have on yet, rent).
So in other words if you don't have a job get one then you will be able to waste your money...
And don't give me crap like I have to pay for my car and insurance and gas and this and that because I went through the same thing and I still had money left over for anime and plenty of other items and that includes senior trip, prom, playing hockey, and dating. I would diffenetly say being in high school is the time you do get to waste money. Saying you're a high school student doesn't mean much of anything when it comes to finances. So like I said if you don't have a job, get one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Irukichan



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:

Strange...I would of said back when I was in highschool that I had the luxery of buying such items. Wait till you are out of high school and hopefully in college and with the hope of every other teenager out of your parents house. Where you'd be paying for alot more then you think(living conditions,tution,car if you don't have on yet, rent).
So in other words if you don't have a job get one then you will be able to waste your money...
And don't give me crap like I have to pay for my car and insurance and gas and this and that because I went through the same thing and I still had money left over for anime and plenty of other items and that includes senior trip, prom, playing hockey, and dating. I would diffenetly say being in high school is the time you do get to waste money. Saying you're a high school student doesn't mean much of anything when it comes to finances. So like I said if you don't have a job, get one.


I don't have a car, I don't pay for gas, I don't go places, and I occasionally buy anime. I don't have a job because I don't have a car, and I don't really appreciate your rather rude and uninformed attitude towards my financial situation. I do find the money to buy anime occasionally, and when I do, I want it to be an anime that I'm going to thoroughly enjoy for a long time because it'll be a while before I get to get another one. Any series that I have on fansub, I've either deleted or bought the authentic series.

I don't see where anyone should waste $30 on a DVD that they don't like, besides that, and I never even alluded to the fact that I wasn't going to purchase any series that I liked. Any anime fan should. Your argument is totally unbased. I'm not a freeloader, I pay for what I enjoy and delete what I don't. Don't take your situation and automatically assume that the rest of the world is in your shoes because it's usually not the case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group