• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-12-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
I actually prefer it when the anime and manga are very different.

I spend half my time in a small town; while not there, I'm busy with college stuff, so I don't get a chance to go into a Barnes & Noble and sit down with a manga to "test drive" it- and there's no way I'm paying $10 for something I have no idea about.

Thus, I almost always see the anime adaptation first. There are some series where the anime adaptation is fairly true to the manga- Naruto is supposedly such a case, though there are a few things in the manga that don't make it to the anime, and the anime produces its own filler (though still finds a way to tie it to Orochimaru, sigh.)

In these cases, I never buy the manga. I've watched/downloaded/bought the series, so I don't really feel like reading it in book form.

I much prefer when the stories are different. Case in point: Escaflowne. The series is different from the movie is different from the manga is different from the other manga. While all three storylines have the same basic premise, they go about it in very different ways, and are all great. Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star is another example (a pity it was only two issues.)

Speaking of the Escaflowne manga, I wonder if the other (shorter) one will ever make it to the states? At this point, probably not...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
I actually prefer it when the anime and manga are very different.

My opinion on this varies from series to series. I don't mind small changes either way. For big changes, it varies and depends on the quality of the changes. That is, like Answerman said, if it's very different, it should still be good quality.

An example of good quality changes would be Fullmoon wo Sagashite. The differences between the anime and manga are significant, but both are very good. On the other hand, Gonzo made big changes for Hellsing and ended up making a steaming pile of poo (yes, I know this is a case of the manga still going, but that's the first example that came to mind).
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Denstu is owned by Geneon and are also part of the Bleach staff. So isn't also far to say that Geneon has an equal shot at Bleach? Also is memory servers me right the s-CRY-ed manga came out after the Anime did.

For the Trigun manga vs. anime, the manga had gotten cancelled due to the magazine it ran in going under just before the anime got started. It got picked up again and re-started as Trigun Maximum, but the anime was already in production at that point, so the anime staff was pretty much on its own.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Drat! I had that SAME CAPTION in mind for the Saikano screenshot, but I didn't send it in because I thought it was one of those things that was only funny to me. sigh.... Just goes to show it doesn't pay to be timid. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Drat! I had that SAME CAPTION in mind for the Saikano screenshot, but I didn't send it in because I thought it was one of those things that was only funny to me. sigh.... Just goes to show it doesn't pay to be timid. Anime cry
Yeah and I liked that one as well. I did a hitler joke..I forget what it was something about a kick me sign. Wasn't that funny but I had a hard time because I wanted to doa military joke but nothing much was coming to mind. The robotech caption I thought was alright(not as good as the saikano though) but I wouldn't of thought of it so I think it deserved the win. I placed alot of flying jokes in(mostly unoriginal though).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
that Robotech caption is the first so far to actually make me laugh. i bet there really are otakus like that.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
that Robotech caption is the first so far to actually make me laugh. i bet there really are otakus like that.

I laughed out loud when I read it as well. It's totally refreshing and original and fits the facial expressions of the characters perfectly. I think it's been my favorite so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Those are hikikomori (ひきこもり or 引き篭もり), the Japanese counterpart of those who "live in the basement of his parents' house." Cloe should remember that I've explained it before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2