• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crazy Case Closed Question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totalgeek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
Something occurred to me a couple weeks ago, despite not having watched an episode of Case Closed in months.

In the Adult Swim run of the series (26 or 52 episodes?), one of the last episodes had Conan fall ill after drinking an alcoholic beverage from a hotshot teen detective from America. During his illness, he turns back into Jimmy Kudo. At the end of the episode, he realizes that the alcohol was what turned him back into Jimmy.

Why didn't he just go to Dr. Agasa and have him come up with a more permanent antidote using the alcohol? Seems like a no-brainer to me, and Jimmy was supposed to be some brilliant detective.

While I understand that doing this would kind of require the series to end since the gimmick of the show would be gone, I still think it would have been a satisfying end rather than dragging it out interminably. Was there a logical, story-oriented, reason that Dr. Agasa wasn't capable of making an antidote for Jimmy with the alcohol, or at the very least making sure that Jimmy had a constant supply of alcohol for the rest of his life? Sure, that wouldn't have been great for Jimmy's liver, but the Doctor could have done tests to see how little alcohol was needed for what length of time and made sure Jimmy had the proper dosages.

Thanks for your help on this.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
In the Adult Swim run of the series (26 or 52 episodes?), one of the last episodes had Conan fall ill after drinking an alcoholic beverage from a hotshot teen detective from America. During his illness, he turns back into Jimmy Kudo. At the end of the episode, he realizes that the alcohol was what turned him back into Jimmy.

Well, no, actually, it was the combination of having a cold and drinking the alcohol. He had the cold first.

totalgeek wrote:
Why didn't he just go to Dr. Agasa and have him come up with a more permanent antidote using the alcohol? Seems like a no-brainer to me, and Jimmy was supposed to be some brilliant detective.

Conan is a detective, Agasa's an inventor...niether of which are medically inclined scientists.

Anyway, it's a moot point. Another character shows up later and she does start on making an antidote. For various reasons, there is no permanent change, but there is at least one point where Conan changes back for a few days or so.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I always wondered why he wouldn't just go ask Agasa to get him some liquor =/
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

Actually, from a spoiler picture or review I read, it seems that spoiler[was actually what Jimmy did try to do in the next episode] - the one that Adult Swim never aired Evil or Very Mad. All that happened was spoiler[Conan got a bit drunk] Laughing .

spoiler[It seems that drinking the booze alone won't make him change back. Whatever happened had to do with him having both the cold and drinking the chinese wine and they couldn't replicate the results again. However, as someone has already mentioned, another character is introduced later and without getting into too many details she is the creator of the drug that shrank Jimmy and is trying to figure out something to un-shrink both Jimmy and herself (exactly how she managed to shrink herself you'll just have to wait and see when it comes out on DVD in the US or airs on the Funimation Channel, or dig up the spoilers online like I did Wink ).]
xion_theunborn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
Why Adult Swim take Case Closed off the air and play nothing but repeats. I've been wanting to see more of the anime.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quote
xion_theunborn wrote:
Why Adult Swim take Case Closed off the air and play nothing but repeats. I've been wanting to see more of the anime.

Well, it didn't do well in the ratings. They (Adult Swim) just didn't feel like it justified what they would have to pay to air the rest of the series.
Kaitou KID

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:

Actually, from a spoiler picture or review I read, it seems that spoiler[was actually what Jimmy did try to do in the next episode] - the one that Adult Swim never aired Evil or Very Mad. All that happened was spoiler[Conan got a bit drunk] Laughing .

To be precise, Conan can't use the booze anymore, even with a cold. spoiler[He got immune. Though the Chinese liquor definately holds an important ingredient, it's not enough to make a anitdote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1