• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your thoughts of Elfen Lied

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:40 am Reply with quote
I liked it, despite the horrible character design and the paedophilic/harem aspect of the anime.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Sander wrote:
I liked it, despite the horrible character design and the paedophilic/harem aspect of the anime.

well the paedeophilia did get to me too, but it only occurs once and is shown in a somewhat unpleasant light so I accepted it.

and whats wrong with the character designs?

personally I thik they are some of the best in refenrence to the series, while yes they are a little stereotypical in the context of the series where what they look like doesnt matter so much as the perosnality itself it fits fine.

and as for Harem...I dont know, for me at least a harem show has a kind of atmosphere to it, like Love Hina or Tenchi Muyo and while yes the situation is similar its not got the atmosphere to it.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
... hmmm... maybe what ELFEN LIED simply does is use HAREM devices to effectively convey its messages...

It's works if you ask me, I mean, it holds your attention better (kinda cheap... but whatever... I do notice though that it is easier to feel sympathy for cute-looking characters).

Yup, I'm still not giving up the HAREM front... I should pitch this question elsewhere though.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
... hmmm... maybe what ELFEN LIED simply does is use HAREM devices to effectively convey its messages...

It's works if you ask me, I mean, it holds your attention better (kinda cheap... but whatever... I do notice though that it is easier to feel sympathy for cute-looking characters).

Yup, I'm still not giving up the HAREM front... I should pitch this question elsewhere though.

oh I agree that the Harem device itself is there(one guy, many attractive girls, sexual situations(though few involve him actually)) what it doesnt have(and its this that makes me recalcitrant to label it as harem) is the kind of atmosphere that makes other harem shows so obviously harem.

I'll give Harem-esque in that the situation is the same, the execution is not though.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
And thus, the message conveyed is a lot better Razz
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:19 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
And thus, the message conveyed is a lot better Razz

definately, you cant have all heavy scenes all the way through or you stop caring about them as people, too much melodrama kills a series.
Urb'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:00 am Reply with quote
Watched it earlier this week in a 4.5hour block..
I was actually hooked to it, reminded me of gunslinger girls, the 2 extremes, killer girls one moment, and what would be innocent and playful the next..

I didn't find the nakedness offputting, the paedophillia scene was undertsandable to why a 13yr old girl would run away, and they didn't really show anything from the angle.

What i like is the way this portrays the influences and events that make us the way we are.
The Diclonius arnt evil, their not cruel, the 3 we see are the products of abuse.. nana being slightly different as she had something the others didn't, her papa, someone to look up to and do good by.
The end episode i think was perfect, though a little sad with closure, it had to end openly of what if..
jcindiana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Great show. Much more than what I expected. The extreme violence was more of an issue for me than the sexuality. Still, it was a truly wonderful series.
AnimeFanboy1982

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I started buying this series when the first volume was released. I had a feeling that it was going to be one of the better series released this year, and it turned out much better than I expected. The plot is rock solid and very emotional from beginning to end. The violence, while extremely graphic, succeeds in keeping you on the emotional roller coster throughout the whole viewing, and the nudity isn't really a problem to me since ,for the most part, it is all plot related and not there as pointless fan service. So if you can stomach the violence and nudity, then I definitely suggest checking this series out. You won't be disappointed.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The series story was rock solid. The violence helped push the series forward. Great series, great animation, and good characters.
Fui

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Well since someone just bumped it I guess it won't hurt to reply...

I liked it a lot. I usually dislike violence (such as heads, arms, fingers, torsos and legs being sliced off and blood spurting from the wounds), but this one was good enough for me to watch. I think I liked the central idea around Lucy being a "good and bad guy" at the same time, if I may generalize. It gave you mixed feelings about the protagonist and was an interesting way to perceive a character. Although the plot appears very simple at first, the script and dialogue were very well written. I don't think they could've done a better job with the anime without changing the entire story.

Oh regarding nudity, it really didn't come across as fanservice or hentai when they showed nudity in the show. To me, it was more just to "show it how it is" and be realistic, rather than hide things from the viewer. The entire series was done in this way (all the violence, etc) so I think it suited it. Besides, who would watch Elfen Lied for the harem/hentai of it? Doesn't someone's head and arms sliced off kind of ruin the mood?
Nick1978

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Its been awhile since I watched this series but I clearly remember when it ened I was depressed for about 2 days and couldnt get it out of my head. I was really moved when they showed the flashback of spoiler[the one girl being sexually abused by was it her step father I cant remember?] And also the spoiler[attempted rape of Lucy by that scientist guy.] Plus you know im a sucker for girls that spoiler[murder your family infront of you] Laughing I know I would fall for her hehe. I have always wished for another season of it but I can understand what some people are saying about any continuation of it taking away from how good it is. I think it is a classic as it is. I would give it a shot if anyone hasn't seen it yet I think you will be very impressed with it. Don't let the gore turn you off!

Last edited by Nick1978 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Besides, who would watch Elfen Lied for the harem/hentai of it? Doesn't someone's head and arms sliced off kind of ruin the mood?

Have you never heard of "Guro"?
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, there was almost as much fanservice as there was "creepy" nudity. I still don't understand the bit with Nyu fondling Yuka. Without any rhyme or reason she just pounces on her while Kohta walks out the door. Weird.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Fui wrote:
Besides, who would watch Elfen Lied for the harem/hentai of it? Doesn't someone's head and arms sliced off kind of ruin the mood?

Have you never heard of "Guro"?

yep and I'm thoroughly disturbed that such a thing exists...if paedeophilia and necrophilia werent enough...

a thing though. A lot of people seem to say that the Diclonius' actions arent 'evil' as they only do it because of the way they are abused while being raised.

remember back into the series, it is stated quite clearly that even if left to their own devices in regular families(with father figures who love them presumably) the diclonius children would still kill their families, as evinced by the scene where spoiler[the young diclonius girl is alone in that house filled with dead people, no other way out except the front door through which the police come in through. We can only assume that the girl killed her family(as they were torn apart) as well as killing several police officers before being killed herself(too young to use her arms to defend herself yet)]

now thats some evidence to show that the Diclonius are naturally predispositioned towards homicide and their treatement by humans isnt the only factor in their tendency to kill every non Diclonius around them, hence making Nana even more miraculous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5