• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your thoughts of Elfen Lied

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
indeed there was, spoiler[after killing the children at the orphanage she runs away from it and needs to find somewhere to live. She, after being left by Kouta, wanders around until she hears a family talking loudly, a full loving family such as she never had, this angers her no end and so she breaks into their home and kills them all. Before sleeping the night.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
indeed there was, spoiler[after killing the children at the orphanage she runs away from it and needs to find somewhere to live. She, after being left by Kouta, wanders around until she hears a family talking loudly, a full loving family such as she never had, this angers her no end and so she breaks into their home and kills them all. Before sleeping the night.]

That's the one I was thinking of.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied is very well made.

It's efficient in terms of not wasting time, another episode or 2 would probably make it better, but u really cant put more than 15 episodes to a story without making it boring at one point or another.

It definitely has the best artwork that I've ever seen, and the sound is great too.

The way that it portrayed human emotions is also very good.

ANN rating put it as the 30something rank, but if u look on the other big anime rating site, called animenfo i think, they have it rated 4th.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's okay for me to post in this.
First I should state, I have only watched the first three volumes, or vectors should we say. I love this series, it's even highter then Eva. I am a hudge gore/horror lover and well those first ten minutes well diffently caught my atteniton. As for the nudity issue, I didn't really think that it is a problem. I did not find it overly sexy or anyway. Like some other posters said, I think the nakeness was about being bare. It was almost like they were stripping the characters as they were stripping away at our emotions. Does this make sense. Anyways, I loved it. I would recommend it to anyone that could view it with an open mind, and realise that it is not just some slasher flick or an hentai.
Aero041191

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
You make a very good point, Mistress. I have been trying to get my friends to watch Elfen Lied for well.... Elfen Lied! They only watch it though due to the either: 1) Blood/gore 2)nudity scenes (he should get stabbed<< >>) or 3)"sadness factor" But they don't see it for what it is.. A great anime with a lot of thought and time put in to it to make it my favorite anime! It has great plot, characters and character backgrounds, location backgrounds, etc. I mean, the intro song is a famous Latin song and the pictures are from a famous painting! This series had so much impact and insight, I felt kind of like I was a part of it.
Maken Buster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I have a hard time remembering another show, nevermind anime, that shook me to the core like Elfen Lied did. It wasn't the gore that did it, it was spoiler[the whole Mayu step-father sexual abuse angle]. I'm not a gore hound, but I was intrigued by it...it's kinda hard to explain, but I was hooked from the opening sequence.
Even the characters, I don't think I've ever gone from hating someone to feeling sympathy for them so quickly (Mariko). Funny, sweet, horrific, depressing, joyous...the emotional range I felt thourgh it was impressive, like taking Love Hina and adding Ichi the Killer blood and guts.
Aero041191

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting.... I wish I knew what it was. I'm a huge gore/horror movie fan too Mistress (horror movies make me laugh, I can guess everything that happens before it does while i'm watching it) I do believe that would have been good.
Mistress9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Maken Buster wrote:
I have a hard time remembering another show, nevermind anime, that shook me to the core like Elfen Lied did. It wasn't the gore that did it, it was spoiler[the whole Mayu step-father sexual abuse angle]. I'm not a gore hound, but I was intrigued by it...it's kinda hard to explain, but I was hooked from the opening sequence.
Even the characters, I don't think I've ever gone from hating someone to feeling sympathy for them so quickly (Mariko). Funny, sweet, horrific, depressing, joyous...the emotional range I felt thourgh it was impressive, like taking Love Hina and adding Ichi the Killer blood and guts.

Yes that moment was very heartbreaking but I felt it was done very tastefully. It didn't really show anything, just enough to let the audience know what was going on. Most importantly though it showed us why Mayu's charcter did the things she did, why she was so dependant on that dog. (What was it's name again?) However for me, the part that had the most emotional impact was spoiler[ the reveal of Lucy's past, that showed us how her 'darker' personality, and possibly all the dicloniuses (sp?) developed. It was such a pivotal moment. Of course I am talking bout the abuse she took from her classmates/housemates. The murder of her puppy, and then later forseen betyral by Kohta, when he lied to Lucy, saying that his cousin was male. The look on her face when she saw him with his sister and Yuka at the fair was heartbreaking. (When she thought he had someone else) That for me is the moment, when her 'darker'/possibly lucy side takes over compleltly. Yes these moments are unbelievably gory, and that is awsome. But it isn't about that. It's about the horror of Lucy's pain. About how the cruelity forced on her by others and then the later misconceptions about Kouta, turned her into something 'evil'.]

To me that's the true beauty of Elfen lied, that the blood and gore and yes even the nudity just hammers these points down more. Causing the viewer to well have a even more gut reanching reaction. That is what I meant when they stripped the characters bare, it just wasn't just physically bare. It was emotionally bare and therefore this stripping caused the vieweres to be stirpped emotionally. Okay I will stop babbling.
YoMaNaTiOn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I've heard rumors about a second season coming in summer, has anyone else heard anything about that? It could be just bull ofc, just wondering if the rumor is well spread...

Don't know if I would like a second season though, even if I really wished there was more (in anime format - not manga) when I watched it at first. It could ruin my perfect image for it. Dunno...
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure that the creators know very well that Elfen Lied has set a very high standard for itself and a new season would ruin the series as a whole if it didn't live up to the standards. So if another season is gonna be made by the same people, I have no reason not to expect something as brilliant as what we have now.
Mistress9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
I'm sure that the creators know very well that Elfen Lied has set a very high standard for itself and a new season would ruin the series as a whole if it didn't live up to the standards. So if another season is gonna be made by the same people, I have no reason not to expect something as brilliant as what we have now.

That makes total sense, I mean why would they gamble with gold. I for one would be happy with this, especially if the ending is as spoiler[opended ended, as everyone says.] Or If they atleast make a movie. I am not sure if 13 eppys is enough for me. But I haven't heard anything bout a second season until now. So I can't help with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5