• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Musicland to Ask for Financial Relief from Vendors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
lantis wrote:
Nabeshin wrote:

They also set up booths frequently partnered with ADV at various conventions, Anime Central being one of the bigger examples.

Actually this stopped last year. They did Anime Expo for Funimation instead of ADV last year. There seemed to have been a short term falling out between the two companies when Suncoast returned so much ADV goods after last Christmas season. In fairness they returned a lot of everyone's goods but ADV being the largest at that time got hit worse than most others.

I think they are on better footing now but I don't think the booths were very profitable anyway.

Doug

Suncoast worked the ADV booth at Expo in 2005. They however did work with Funimation at Anime Central and I presume a few other conventions in the year. (I only attended ACen and AX last year due to family commitments)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:

There was a thread about the manga issue over on AnimeonDVD. Someone who worked at a Suncoast said the manga distributor, Ingram, was displeased with Musicland closing Media Play stores. Since Ingram decided that Suncoast and Sam Goody alone would not provide good profits, they requested all Suncoast and Sam Goody stores to pack up and return their manga as they no longer wanted to do business with them. I heard that they will get a new manga distrubutor, but with who and when is still unknown.

Ingram was the distributor for nearly ALL of Media Play's books, not just the manga. Shortly after liquidation began, all of the books were not permitted to be sold at discount rates as Ingram was taking them back. I haven't been to the store since this happened but I would imagine it would be a depressing sight to behold. Also, keep in mind that Musicland is owned by Sun Capital, a private firm that had control over the entire ordeal. Media Play (if not all of the Musicland sublets) was given to Sun Capital. Its fate was sealed long before the news hit.

KD
cordinator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:23 am Reply with quote
ok everyone inside info here....

media play was the part of the company that was bringing the company down that's why they sold off the company also Sam goodie is also in trouble being that its so easy to pirate music and stuff, suncoast was the part of the business that makes money

here's what's going to happen they'll close a lot of stores on both sides and then rebuild

also FYI back in 97 before best buy bought music land, music land asked for a lean on the distributes and they complied (for those of you still reading a lean is when the shipping company's ask for less money on there products, which means that music land is trying it again)

also we are looking for a new distributor for are manga as we speak I say within the next 3 weeks we will have a new one, also in most stores special orders are down ( this means if you special ordered something the turn around is 3-5 weeks)
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
cordinator wrote:

media play was the part of the company that was bringing the company down that's why they sold off the company also Sam goodie is also in trouble being that its so easy to pirate music and stuff, suncoast was the part of the business that makes money

here's what's going to happen they'll close a lot of stores on both sides and then rebuild

also FYI back in 97 before best buy bought music land, music land asked for a lean on the distributes and they complied (for those of you still reading a lean is when the shipping company's ask for less money on there products, which means that music land is trying it again)

also we are looking for a new distributor for are manga as we speak I say within the next 3 weeks we will have a new one, also in most stores special orders are down ( this means if you special ordered something the turn around is 3-5 weeks)

OK, that part about the long turn-around for special orders makes sense.

This morning I went to Suncoast to exchange my Macross vol 1+box because the 2nd DVD had come loose and was all scratched to hell. The clerk set up an order for a replacement & in the past, I was always told "next Tuesday". Today he said 7-14 days. I didn't say anything but thought to myself, "how strange". Now it makes sense.

That Suncoast I frequent always seems busy, and I dropped some major coin there last year so I hope it is one that is spared.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
*This* is why my local Suncoast took all the manga out. They said that it had something to do with the vendors. They also said that it was temporary. We'll see.

Tammy
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
What does this have to do with the anime industry or anime news? All they are is a music and DVD retailer that happens to sell anime DVD's, and before anyone argues the point, all they sell in regards to the anime industry is anime DVD's, they sell mostly Music CD's.

I'm sure that there are more important news that ANN could cover rather than store chains in the midst of bankuptcy. This is information that should be covered by USA Today not an Anime news site that is respected like ANN.

Maybe next we'll hear from ANN about how the war effort in Iraq and Afganistan is going or about the rise in Mobile Gas ands Oil Prices. Crying or Very sad

They sell manga too, or at least my local Suncoast did before the bankruptcy thing. Now, they don't.

Tammy
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
cordinator wrote:

OK, that part about the long turn-around for special orders makes sense.

This morning I went to Suncoast to exchange my Macross vol 1+box because the 2nd DVD had come loose and was all scratched to hell. The clerk set up an order for a replacement & in the past, I was always told "next Tuesday". Today he said 7-14 days. I didn't say anything but thought to myself, "how strange". Now it makes sense.

That Suncoast I frequent always seems busy, and I dropped some major coin there last year so I hope it is one that is spared.

My Eva Platinum had a missing disc, & it took Suncoast that long to get me a replacement set. Now, I know why.

Tammy
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine part of the problem is all of the action figures they sell. Now I love them and collect them, but they always seem to marked down at least 25% because they just don't sell. If this were a big box store where they could afford a consistant loss in an effort to bring costumers in that would not be such a big deal. Unfortunatly its a mall based store and the loss has to have at least some significane on the bottom line.
angieness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I also work at Suncoast and was pretty upset to see our manga section disappear. Best Buy did own us for a while and according to my boss, they tried to kill us off, which is where part of our debt came from. We're also having issues getting our drinks and candy, there's some payment issues with Pepsi in our store so we're trying to get Coke. I'm hoping that since Media Play is gone (which was about 80% of our debt according to my district manager) Sam Goody and Suncoast can improve
cordinator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
I also work at Suncoast and was pretty upset to see our manga section disappear. Best Buy did own us for a while and according to my boss, they tried to kill us off, which is where part of our debt came from. We're also having issues getting our drinks and candy, there's some payment issues with Pepsi in our store so we're trying to get Coke. I'm hoping that since Media Play is gone (which was about 80% of our debt according to my district manager) Sam Goody and Suncoast can improve

ya one of the ways best buy tried killing us was by having the warehouse send us a box that would have 30 pieces instead of 60

also action figures sell pretty good in my store also just fyi every month there's another sale like in my district its buy 2 get the 3rd free any action figure and there is another were any clearance figure you get an additional 50 percent off

we actually have customers who come in every Friday ( when we get our shipments) and they will buy almost all the figures they can get
Jiyu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Like a few people who've replied, I too work for Musicland. I work at a Suncoast and have for almost 6 years. Anime was actually the reason I was hired. No one before me knew anime and were frightened of the otaku that would come in.

Ever since Best Buy bought us and the crappiness that ensued in their rule, I have been waiting for the company to go belly-up... somewhere in my store I'm sure someone has come in and stenciled S.S. Titanic... so help me I will find it. Best Buy was the worst thing to ever happen to the company. They took all the fun out of working there. **sigh** I miss the good 'ol days.

Sun Capital Inc. was the next company to acquire Musicland... they took us from Best Buy with no exchange of money but only the condition that Sun Capital would assume possession of all of Music Land's debts. IMHO, Sun Capital has done the best they could with what they had. Quite frankly I'm amazed that they are still fighting to restructure the company. However, there are a few things that they could do to help themselves out. 1. Stop hiring "Secret Shoppers"-it's a waste because any back-water hick with an internet connection can become one... and they don't take it seriously. 2. Stop making our stupid trailer discs... no one pays any attention to them and it's also a waste of finances. Let us go back to opening movies we know that people will notice... we always sold at least one copy of whatever movie we had playing. 3. Don't figure magazine profits into our budget when it's not a certainty that people will sign up for them at the counter. Rolling Eyes Sorry for all that, just needed to rant... Confused

FYI to all Musicland customers... with the exception of Media Play stores... we have no advance warning of whether or not our store is scheduled to close. Case in point... our Sam Goody, which was located just up the hall from my Suncoast closed with no warning last week. Their DM came in one night and told them that they were through. I can tell you that most store closings are coinciding with stores that have expiring leases.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
to me it seems rather stupid. Why sell with the lower dvd prices- and keep the store that sells the higher priced dvds? Besides that- Media Play carried pretty much everything- books, movies, and some elctronic equipment.

I understand they are losing money- but in my area Meida Play always seemed more crowded with consumers than the Suncoast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
What does this have to do with the anime industry or anime news? All they are is a music and DVD retailer that happens to sell anime DVD's, and before anyone argues the point, all they sell in regards to the anime industry is anime DVD's, they sell mostly Music CD's.

Suncoast returning all their manga inventory is pretty big news since there is a lot of people that buy manga from there.
RedComet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On Friday Musicland announced that it plans to 284 of its 867 retail outlets as part of its reorganization. Suncoast stores slated for closure are already hosting special inventory clearance sales.

So is there anyway we can check what Suncoasts are going to close?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
RedComet wrote:
Quote:
On Friday Musicland announced that it plans to 284 of its 867 retail outlets as part of its reorganization. Suncoast stores slated for closure are already hosting special inventory clearance sales.

So is there anyway we can check what Suncoasts are going to close?

Check your local Suncoast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5