• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G going public

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
If I had the money I would buy stock in that company.

I would also buy stock in Pow! Entertainment (Stan Lee's Company)

=/ These kinds of comments are always completely useless. It's like saying, "If I had 20 years of experience, I'd apply to be the new CEO of yada yada," or "if I had money, I'd buy this Gundam head replica!" Nothing's accomplished by you saying it, and chances are, in the future when you're at a point where you have enough money to buy even 10 stocks of this company, you'll probably have forgotten all about it, or you'll have decided to use your money in other ways.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote
I had always wondered if you could buy stock in any of these companies.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
whoa whoa whoa u guys have way too long posts btw but anyway. this really isn't gonna make a dent as far as Anime in America is concerned so the announcement itself kinda odd.

Unless you guys wanna tell your uncles about this great new company that opened up and ask them to invest their money in it, let the comp have about 40 million in movie budget, have them make a great movie, let it ship to the U.S., flop in the worst way, and have the entire studio closed down and then your uncles are gonna be like man I'm gonna kill that boy

(hmm sound familiars to anyone with any knowledge of a certain FF movie)
sorvani

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
well i can't say how modern (or not) Production I.G. is as a studio. But i have been inside of it. It's very tiny, and very cramped compared to the cubicle farm i work in. Oh, and very smoky.
http://daerma.com/pjtes2005/pages/DSC01541.html

The animators were working at back lit desks hand drawing through layers of cells, flipping back and forth copying. I wasn't rude enough to look over any of their shoulders close enough to see what they were drawing.
http://daerma.com/pjtes2005/pages/DSC01545.html

The 3d guys were plotting away on their computers. The one guy who as framing something that i could recognize was doing something for IGPX.
http://daerma.com/pjtes2005/pages/DSC01556.html

The coloring girls (all women) were clicking like MAD one hand on the mouse, and one hand on the keyboard hitting shortcut key combos. zooming in and out cleaning up the scan lines picke dup by the scanning of the cells into the computers. All the people coloring while i was there were working on IGPX.
Pictures were not allowed here.

The rendering guys weren't around (or were doing other jobs) because they had all the rendering machines busy crunching away. Nothing to see here the monitors were off/hibernating.

There was a meeting going on in the conference room (actually just a part of a room with those pull around panels to partition it off) next to where they showed us a dvd "about the company" and promo's of current and future projects.
http://daerma.com/pjtes2005/pages/DSC01570.html - conference room was right next to this area..

The place seemed about half empty, but with that conference room full of people i suspect that was the other half of the people i thought were missing.
http://daerma.com/pjtes2005/pages/DSC01550.html

What does all that have to do with the IPO?? well from my opinion of the place, it looked packed to the gills. They need more space. There was bin upon bin of what looked like cells filed all over. They probably need more hardware, i mean i dont' know what was in all the machines, but i do know 3d imaging, ulta high def scanning, 3d rendering, and coloring at the speed i seen them doing it takes a LOT of horsepower. This is the kinda thing IPO resources are great for.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
These won't be available until 21/Dec/05. A starting price is usually announced sometime before trade and that price can rise, or fall immediately after the opening bell of first day of trade. Anyone can buy a share at whatever the price will be after opening of trade, but you will have to deal with a broker who deals in the JASDAQ. Terms and conditions apply. Wink
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote
well I was a bit happy to hear the news.

The folks at Production IG deserve the recognition to go public. I've met several of the senior people at Production IG (Ishikawa). They produce some top quality work.

This is just a next step for IG to do some big stuff. I didn't get to see IGPX in Tokyo, but I heard there was a big turnout during Tokyo International Film Festival. Blood Plus is also get great reviews.

Cool pics The Ramblin' Wreck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lolotakun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
Hmm... seems that the former arguers left the debate and that furthermore my objections are being completely ignored. Not very eager to discuss, are you? Oh well, believe what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:01 am Reply with quote
Lolotakun wrote:
Hmm... seems that the former arguers left the debate and that furthermore my objections are being completely ignored. Not very eager to discuss, are you? Oh well, believe what you want.

What about all the stuff from sorvani?
Lolotakun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Well, I wouldn't consider his pictures (very cool, by the way!) as real "evidence" against my arguments, and it probably wasn't even meant that way. I don't think that the somehow narrow desks and reference-shelves are designed like this out of necessity. It's always better to have a restrained workspace when you want to draw, it helps you concentrate and focus your ideas. By having everything at reach of hand, you avoid to be distracted. I really think this is disposed like this on purpose, many good and big animation studios are arranged like this. That's the cool thing with drawing: you can create everything wtih absolutely nothing. Don't you, I.G.?

As far as computer hardware is concerned, you can't figure out its capacities during a mere visitor's tour, do you?
sorvani

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
actually i'm supporting Lolotakun's side of this debate(i think). they are doing it because they WANT to expand. not because the are gasping for air.

Lolotakun wrote:

As far as computer hardware is concerned, you can't figure out its capacities during a mere visitor's tour, do you?

not by a long shot. that part of my post was pure speculation.

Lolotakun wrote:
(very cool, by the way!)

it was WAY more than very cool. Surprised Exclamation

it drizzled on the way to the studio, and rained while we were inside, thus increasing the humidity to extreme levels. The air conditioning was as poor/little used(as compared to how it's used in the US) as a lot of places in japan, but i don't care how crowded it was, i wouldn't exchange anything for being one of the 20 people allowed on that tour. and they gave out SWAG Shocked in the form of paper work about the company and a GitS: Innocense mini CD with the theme song, a figurine of the busted up doll Makoto was in, in the cene wehre she was laying naked and sprawled on the deck, and a mini plushy of Batou's dog Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Lolotakun:

I can understand your dislike of the stock market. I actually hate it, I hate the way it works, I hate the fact that its based entirely on speculation as opposed to real results.

That being said, the stock market can bring a lot to a company and to its owners. Whats more, you seem to be ignoring who actually owns Production I.G

Begin Point #1

I.G was founded by Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, but to get the company started and make it grow he needed investment capital. So numerous investors gave the company a lot of money in return for stocks.

Their goal was to turn a profit when the company eventually went public. If it hadn't been for the promise of the eventual IPO, they would have never invested in the company in the first place.

In other words, the IPO brought the company all the capital it took to get it where it is today. Before the fact.

It's very easy to see what companies are in this situation by looking on the investor page on their website.

Example: Tokyopop.

I guarantee you that none of those people invested because they want dividends. They invested because they want growth, and capital gains from said growth when they chose to sell the company on the stock market.

Without the stock market, Tokyopop, despite being an entirely private company, wouldn't be where it is today. Same goes for Production I.G

End point #1

Begin Point #2

Despite being privately held, board of directors that you describe becomes a reality the day that a second party acquires any shares in the company, regardless of whether it is through the stock market or private investment. Going public changes nothing. Production I.G has always had a board of directors and shareholders.

Same goes for Tokyopop, and any other investment funded company.

These company's have gotten where they are with numerous investors, a board of directors and everything that goes with the financial model. Nothing will change (in this regard) now that they go public.

End point #2

Begin Point #3

1400 new shares were created for the IPO, these were sold at $4,372.33 and more a piece. In total, Production I.G (not its shareholders) received no less than $6 million dollars new cash to invest in further ventures. Sure the company may have been profitable, but the infusion of cash will permit it to do more faster.

Obviously it could mess up and the company could do stupid things with that money and make more crap instead of more good shows, but that has nothing to do with where the money came from.

End Point #3

Begin Point #4

As a privately held company that is investment funded, Production I.G probably had a dozen or so owners, some of them owning very large percentages of the shares. As more and more of the company's shares become publicly held, the amount of control that any investor has diminishes. Future directors will be answerable to more people, meaning that the influence of single parties will diminish.

The result? The exact opposite of what you described. The board of directors will not be subservient to investing corporations who may have different goals, they will be subservient to a large group of individual shareholders as a whole. Well, this is a bit exxagerated, but it is safe to say that the eventual balance will be struck somewhere in between, and that the investing companies will have less sway over the board resulting in less potential for the scenario you suggested. Of course the bottom line will still be money, not art.

End Point #4

Begin Point #5

Unless he does something really bad, Mitsuhisa Ishikawa will still be in charge of Production I.G. Ishikawa cares as much, or more about good anime than he does about $$$. Trust me, he's your friend.

End Point #5

Begin Point #6

Many public companies continue to do great things after they become public. Many don't. Many private companies begin to suck as they grow bigger despite remaining private. Going public has very little to do with the quality of a company's product.

End Point #6

Okay, I'm done defending the move to go public and disagreeing with you.

Now I'm going to point out the real problem with going public; market speculation and catering to the market. Market speculation is when public investors speculate about how much the company will be worth in x time, and they decide to pay something between what its worth now and what they expect it to be worth then. Sometimes the speculation is way, way more than what the company ends up being worth, this creates a "bubble" and we all know what happens when bubble burst.

Catering to the market is actually two different problems, one of which is exactly what you fear. The first version of catering just increases the bubble effect. It's what happened to Nortel.

The second version of catering is when the board of directors say "The investors love it when we do this, so lets do this" instead of "the clients love it when we do this, so let's do this."

Let's hope that my faith in Ishikawa is well placed.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
jcindiana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Well said! I found it interesting that I.G. makes about $2 million a year in net profit (a bit over Y200 million). I would have thought they were making more. Not meaning this to be derisive in any way. Just thought it was interesting.
A $6 million boost in capital can only help I.G.
ucdawg12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
$2 million a year in profit is good for them since I believe they pay their animators very well, I think I read before that they pay them around 100k a year which is very generous.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
ucdawg12 wrote:
$2 million a year in profit is good for them since I believe they pay their animators very well, I think I read before that they pay them around 100k a year which is very generous.

A starting animator at Production I.G does not make anywhere near US$100k

In fact, most experienced animators at the company don't make that kind of money.

I wonder if any animator who isn't a supervisor / director makes that kind of money at I.G ?

Doubt it.

-t
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Well it's great that they're in the stock market and all that stuff, but I don't really care that much. As long as IG continues to produce high quality anime, I don't have a problem with investing. I think it would help if they could afford to hire more people or buy whatever needed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3