• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon The Origin Anime Special's Video, Visual, Characters Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kh_gal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
The high hopes that I had for this special died in this trailer. =____=

Doesn't look like it's going to follow the manga. Red doesn't even look like his original character design at all! You would think they could even get that right. This is an insult to Hidenori Kusaka's original series.

(And, before I get a ton of hate comments saying "the show hasn't even come out yet to judge" -- The fact the starters are switched says it all.)
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who sees those character designs and thinks "Digimon"? Something about the way the eyes are drawn on the human characters... Eh, maybe it's just my imagination. Smile
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:26 am Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
Doesn't look like it's going to follow the manga. Red doesn't even look like his original character design at all! You would think they could even get that right. This is an insult to Hidenori Kusaka's original series.

How is it an insult to Kusaka's series if it's directly adapting the games?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:

(And, before I get a ton of hate comments saying "the show hasn't even come out yet to judge" -- The fact the starters are switched says it all.)

High hopes... because you thought it was adapting Pokemon Special? "Red" is the default name of the main character in the games. He looks almost exactly like his character design from at least FireRed/LeafGreen. His "grayish" hair has been his hair color in the games since they got out of the pen-and-ink phase of artwork design. And naturally, because this isn't adapting Pokemon Special, it's not catering to Hidenori's designs, nor is Red obligated to start out with Fushigidane/Bulbasaur. >.>;

Blame some of the fanbase for getting excited and making assumptions, even when the first site to give out the info had already said that the main character chose a Hitokage/Charmander to start his journey with.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
Seriously guys what hints WERE there that this would be related to special/adventure? One look at red and I could tell this wasn't at all related.

While the designs look pretty half assed compared to the original game art, anime and special, Im mostly looking forward to this just to see an alternative look at the pokemon adventure we all (presumably) know and love.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Actually the character designs are reminiscent of the instruction book that game with the first gen games. Also, I'm really interested in the art house for this, because it's way too familiar-looking.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

It's a children's game with a blank self insert protagonist, not some edgy M-18 DeviantArt fanfiction.

So? It's possible to have a more serious art style without being dark or edgy. Besides, you call that 'dark'? I call it 'epically cool'.

Not that I'm bitter about the final decision, but after Pokemon: The First Movie, we haven't had any Pokemon anime as serious or dark (if that's what you want to call it).
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this comes out in the US as well.
IanC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Best bit about this is a lack of the whiny useless ASH!!! Cool
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Which brings the question of how they'll dub it. Wii characters like Brock and Oak retain the same dub VAs as the other anime, or will they got ahead with a whole new cast? Time will tell.

Anyone else think this could just be a way to promote a possible rerelease of Red and Blue/Green on the 3DS Virtual Console? I know a whole anime special is a bit much, but they did do that BW2 Anime trailer last year, as well as several Mystery Dungeon anime one offs. And heck, if Mother 2 could get billboard advertising just for its Wii U VC rerelease....
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:

>_> Special fans are literally the worst part of the Pokemon franchise.. now they're even sayin it's the ORIGINAL DESIGNS over the actual game's official artwork x_x; and yall need to stop referring to it as "THE MANGA" since there's 40 different Pokemon manga in Japan. it's not even the most iconic manga in Japan which would be the regular gag manga that was the only manga to ever be referenced in the actual anime

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/2/27/Pokémon_Pocket_Monsters_anime.png

>_> we'd see an adaption of that before special I bet.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
Anyone else think this could just be a way to promote a possible rerelease of Red and Blue/Green on the 3DS Virtual Console?
Never going to happen. The series' selling point is to interact between games which is impossible through a Virtual Console release.

On topic, I am so excited for this! Of all things, I can't believe my favourite video game franchise is actually getting a faithful adaptation! Though it still feels iffy probably due to being used to the animé's designs, Ken Sugumori's artwork has translated quite nicely. Doubt the international blu-ray release will in include Japanese audio along with subtitles bud I doubt the dub will be any good. Then again, they did get Vic Mignogna to play Keldeo...

...time will tell...
Lolack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Why would following the manga be any better? Sure the manga has a better story than the anime but it's still nothing amazing. I'm a fan of anime that are true to their manga, pokemon is another story though, I'd rather have them follow the games.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
Anyone else think this could just be a way to promote a possible rerelease of Red and Blue/Green on the 3DS Virtual Console?
Never going to happen. The series' selling point is to interact between games which is impossible through a Virtual Console release.

Considering NES titles such as Ice Climber have been updated on Virtual Console to support multiplayer, it should be possible for the original Gameboy games to be tweaked to allow trading over the 3DS' local wireless.

TheAnagelic1 wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Which brings the question of how they'll dub it. Wii characters like Brock and Oak retain the same dub VAs as the other anime, or will they got ahead with a whole new cast? Time will tell.

Anyone else think this could just be a way to promote a possible rerelease of Red and Blue/Green on the 3DS Virtual Console? I know a whole anime special is a bit much, but they did do that BW2 Anime trailer last year, as well as several Mystery Dungeon anime one offs. And heck, if Mother 2 could get billboard advertising just for its Wii U VC rerelease....

With the Black 2/White 2 animated trailers, TPCi recast Bianca and Elesa instead of just using their anime voice actors, so I imagine the same will be done here.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
It's all just an elaborate one-shot promotion to reveal Lizardon's Mega form Laughing

Gonna miss pervy Takeshi, though. It'll be weird seeing him without much of a personality Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3