• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rozen Maiden – Zurückspulen Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iatheia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
I can't really agree with this review. It doesn't work well (at all) in the Rozen Maiden universe. It's a well made series, and the adventures of older Jun are interesting with his work and interactions at the store and whatnot with making dolls in his spare time. But trying to force living dolls with their own backstory into this world feels forced - they don't belong there. They don't even try to include them into anything that is going on except occasional retrospection and comic relief.

If it was a stand alone series that did not try to bridge two different universes, it would have been all the better for it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I like the supernatural part of the series actually. So far, I think the series is alright but didn't exactly meet my expectations. The main problem I have seems to be the pacing as it feels awfully slow. Oh well, at least there's some fun humor here and there. I also like the OP song & OST of the series.

What I don't like though is that store manager....ugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
It doesn't work well (at all) in the Rozen Maiden universe.
Not sure what you're basing that off of. The new series is a direct adaptation of the manga which is the source material, unlike the original two series and OVA by Nomad that diverged rather heavily. If anything Nomad's works don't fit in the Rozen Maiden universe.
Quote:
But trying to force living dolls with their own backstory into this world feels forced - they don't belong there. They don't even try to include them into anything that is going on except occasional retrospection and comic relief.
I don't understand your issue, that is the point. The story bashes you over the head with the fact that the dolls don't and should not exist in that world. There is a purpose for them being there though and it should be fully answered by the end of the series depending on where it ends.
terminus24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
So far, It's a very good slice-of-life drama, my second favorite series this season after Railgun, and I like the slower pacing, it works pretty well for the series. It's also the only series I've been following this season that's managed to be consistently great, at least after the rocky first episode.

I feel like I should watch the first season, as the only other stuff I know about Rozen Maiden is from the first episode of the first series, although I was never nearly as lost as I was expecting to be with this series, having never seen any of the other anime.
Tkags

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I've never watched the Rozen Maiden series, but I want to get into it. Is it required to watch the previous anime seasons (I've heard season 2 was an anime only thing and this follows the manga.) or can I watch this one as if it where a standalone?
terminus24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Tkags wrote:
I've never watched the Rozen Maiden series, but I want to get into it. Is it required to watch the previous anime seasons (I've heard season 2 was an anime only thing and this follows the manga.) or can I watch this one as if it where a standalone?
I haven't, and I've been fine with the series so far. Just pay attention to the trainwreck of a first episode.
iatheia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Ryw wrote:
iatheia wrote:
It doesn't work well (at all) in the Rozen Maiden universe.
Not sure what you're basing that off of. The new series is a direct adaptation of the manga which is the source material, unlike the original two series and OVA by Nomad that diverged rather heavily. If anything Nomad's works don't fit in the Rozen Maiden universe.
Quote:
But trying to force living dolls with their own backstory into this world feels forced - they don't belong there. They don't even try to include them into anything that is going on except occasional retrospection and comic relief.
I don't understand your issue, that is the point. The story bashes you over the head with the fact that the dolls don't and should not exist in that world. There is a purpose for them being there though and it should be fully answered by the end of the series depending on where it ends.

If they really do have a purpose, then shouldn't they be doing something other than drinking tea and having petty fights and sitting on the roof? When time is of the essence? I don't know, thinking of a way to defeat 7th sister or something? Trying to find their lost mediums? And there are only two of them that we ever get to interact on a regular basis, but we aren't really even getting to know them as characters, either. As it stands, it would have been a better story IMHO if they kept two universes completely separate. With possibly Jun becoming a new Rozen, without his conveniently misplaced younger self or someone sending parts to him ready for assembly.

It may be a direct adaptation of the manga, but that doesn't really mean that it is any good. In particular, the pacing is utterly terrible. It isn't the question of the "universe bashing us over the head", it is just poorly written. More than that, even as an adaptation it is quite bad. It is impossible to care about the dolls without reading the manga, after even all this time, and it isn't satisfactory to view it as a sequel to the other anime, either.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm similarly impressed by the everyday emotional content and underwhelmed by the vague supernatural nonsensical aspects of the series.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:
So far, It's a very good slice-of-life drama, my second favorite series this season after Railgun, and I like the slower pacing, it works pretty well for the series. It's also the only series I've been following this season that's managed to be consistently great, at least after the rocky first episode.

I feel like I should watch the first season, as the only other stuff I know about Rozen Maiden is from the first episode of the first series, although I was never nearly as lost as I was expecting to be with this series, having never seen any of the other anime.

Railgun was actually a fall show, while Rozen Maiden is a summer show. So they are not in the same season.

But I have to look at some of you with incredulous wonder. The premise the show is living dolls, its in the title for God's sake. Yet, you are off put by the supernatural. That is the whole point of the franchise, why are you even watching it, if that aspect off puts you. That like saying I would like to watch baseball, if they just didn't pitch or hit at the ball.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
This season of infinitely better than either of the previous seasons, and I liked them quite a bit.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
So far I have enjoyed this show, but I agree that the supernatural aspects are puzzling at best. I expect that it is meant to be that way though, so I'll give it time to develop.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
it definitely sounds interesting enough with a new twist to it. though I liked its predecessors , it does have promise.

Quote:
It's hard to believe that it, or any of College Jun's personal developments, came instead from the pen that wrote DearS.

I guess that means the writer didn't liked Dears at all . sure it wasnt a good harem series , but it was passable. and there was those that prefer it over girls bravo cause some of its fanservice went borderline creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1