• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio 4°C Animates Campus Crusade for Christ's Jesus Short

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The World We Know

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
What did y'all think of it? I reviewed it on my blog yesterday - in short, I thought it was very well done - surprisingly so.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Flying House! Laughing
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Decent anime though I think religion is stupid.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I found it very moving and well-made; the ending in "paradise" is a bit abrupt, I suppose, for fairly understandable reasons. It's certainly the best time of year for the subject matter.
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
That was very moving... I'm crying right now. Anime cry
darkonezero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a bit sick, what with the copious amounts of gore. I don't know anything about this religion, but I thought the short itself was really gory and graphic. Animation was good though, too good...
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
As a Christian, I found this . . . interesting. I've seen a few other versions of the crucifixion and I find it interesting to see what each one focuses on. Still, it's not every day (let alone year or decade) that a premier animation studio takes on something like this. I know that religion and religious history are loaded topics to cover, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of it. Maybe an adaptation of Tezuka's Buddha series?

As for the gore, it might have been a bit much, but crucifixion was a brutal form of capital punishment. I admit I never did see Passion of the Christ, but I understand that was also pretty excessive, probably moreso than this. (I admit I kind of wanted to avoid the hubbub around it at the time.)
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
darkonezero wrote:
I thought it was a bit sick, what with the copious amounts of gore. I don't know anything about this religion, but I thought the short itself was really gory and graphic. Animation was good though, too good...

Well, zero knowledge about Christianity is not a prohibiting factor from knowledge about the pain of the crucifixion itself (well, maybe somewhat). From what I understand, the degree of brutality shown here & The Passion of the Christ is probably closer to actuality than the crucifixion that's been shown in other versions.

From the wikipedia article on Flagellation:
Quote:
In the Roman Empire, flagellation was often used as a prelude to crucifixion, and in this context is sometimes referred to as scourging. Whips with small pieces of metal or bone at the tips were commonly used. Such a device could easily cause disfigurement and serious trauma, such as ripping pieces of flesh from the body or loss of an eye. In addition to causing severe pain, the victim would approach a state of hypovolemic shock due to loss of blood.

and an excerpt from the wiki article on Crucifixion:
Quote:
The length of time required to reach death could range from a matter of hours to a number of days, depending on exact methods, the prior health of the condemned, and environmental circumstances. Death could result from any combination of causes, including blood loss, hypovolemic shock, or sepsis following infection, caused by the scourging that sometimes preceded the crucifixion, or by the process of being nailed itself, or eventual dehydration.

So yeah, it ain't anything pretty, to say the least. And Studio 4-C did a wonderful job in keeping the film real in that aspect, and making it pretty moving... certainly more moving, at least to this now young adult-minded student, than I think any Jesus animation I have seen in Sunday school. I think some bits of the acting and mouth flaps could've used a bit more work, however.

Fairly surprised its CCC that was involved. Is it a bigger collegiate national organization than CCF (Campus Christian Fellowship)? Our campus's CCF is much larger here numbers wise than CCC... huh. Wonder if it'll be shown on a Wednesday service before the semester ends...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
This looks like desperate and rebellious move by Studio 4°C. They're not really producing TV series like other studios. They don't seemed to involved heavily in subcontract works on some major Japanese production. Also they seem to be more focused on getting foreign contracts than any other studios.

I'm bit surprised that Christan organization is using Japanese animation to promote their agenda. Since young people are into Japanese animation, I guess it's right to go with the flow.

I'm from protestant family, but I don't like direct depiction of Crucifixion when they preach their value. I don't know why, but it reminds of a movie where Mandy Moore stars in when her overzealous Christian teen character punches someone while screaming "Jesus Christ loves you!"

I wonder if ANN's Mike Toole wrote any article on religion and Japanese animation.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I wonder if ANN's Mike Toole wrote any article on religion and Japanese animation.

I don't believe Mike has, but Jason Thompson wrote a whole article about Jesus manga in his column. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Talking about related works, there is also Manga Messiah which, unlike Manga Bible by Siku, has a wholly Japanese art and editorial team. I've debated with myself more than once over whether it belongs in the Encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
This short was awesome! Anime is a great way to depict these things!

Well maybe the lip synch and facial animation could be better Razz , but other than that, very well done!
The World We Know

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
This looks like desperate and rebellious move by Studio 4°C. They're not really producing TV series like other studios. They don't seemed to involved heavily in subcontract works on some major Japanese production. Also they seem to be more focused on getting foreign contracts than any other studios.

I'm not sure when the studio became involved, but I do think it was a while ago, because this short film has been in production for years.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
As a Christian I did enjoy this, and as an anime fan I thought it was good. If more Christian entertainment was made by people with a good budget, it wouldn't be such a steaming pile, and believe me, I have almost no "Christian" entertainment in my DVD collection. That's how bad most of it is.
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the video. I'd love to see more like it.

bj_waters wrote:
As a Christian, I found this . . . interesting. I've seen a few other versions of the crucifixion and I find it interesting to see what each one focuses on. Still, it's not every day (let alone year or decade) that a premier animation studio takes on something like this. I know that religion and religious history are loaded topics to cover, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of it. Maybe an adaptation of Tezuka's Buddha series?

Warner Bros. is releasing an anime trilogy based on Tezuka's Buddha, starting next month. I hope it gets released over here in the States.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-06/tezuka-buddha-anime-film-project-to-be-trilogy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQGfkRz-_o
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2