• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Encounter with the Mythical Surathkolb

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
underlock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Regarding Steins;Gate, one encouraging sign is that this series is not an original series, it's one based on a visual novel, and every single comment I've heard from those familiar with it have praised the later parts of the game, especially it's ending.

What's the issue with original series? As far as my experience goes they're often better than adaptations, and if we take it into percentages, they're vastly superior.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Regarding Steins;Gate, one encouraging sign is that this series is not an original series, it's one based on a visual novel, and every single comment I've heard from those familiar with it have praised the later parts of the game, especially it's ending.

What's the issue with original series? As far as my experience goes they're often better than adaptations, and if we take it into percentages, they're vastly superior.

I guess I should clarify my comments, they were specifically in response to some of the ANNCast comments. There were some general comments about creators starting a show and not really knowing where it's going beyond the first few episodes, as well as some more specific comments about how Steins;Gate felt like it could be the type of show to fall apart later on. There were concerns that the show wouldn't be able to provide a decent payoff to its attempts to build atmosphere in the early episodes.

Thus, in this particular case at least, the fact that the anime is based on a VN that apparantly gets really good later on is encouraging, as it means that the creators do in fact know exactly where they are going. They do know what they want to do with the various plot threads, they do have answers to the questions the show brings up, they do have a resolution in mind already, and it's apparantly a very good one. All they have to do is execute it right.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
By "frank discussion" do you mean "bashing the show without even watching one episode or readin one chapter"? Cause that's what I expect, really.

Except that... Zac has seen an episode?...

You're an idiot.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
By "frank discussion" do you mean "bashing the show without even watching one episode or readin one chapter"? Cause that's what I expect, really.

Except that... Zac has seen an episode?...

You're an idiot.

going to have to agree with on this, I disagree with zac ever which way possible on the show but he still sat through and watched all of it I didn't even make it past 5 minutes in "we without wings"

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
underlock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to disagree with Zac once you know where he's coming from (yes, he makes it clear every now and then).

But, while I don't know how he feels, I often find replies directed at him funny, and I bet he thinks the same.

In other words, thanks for the fun. Laughing
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:
I thought episode 2 of Sket Dance was weaker, but that could be just me. Once it lost the characters' flavor (guy speaking through laptop, violent woman, and, uhm, focused [at times] leader) it became mediocre. So far I could list 4-5 better shows from this season (personal opinion aside)

Oh, I'm not saying that SKET Dance is one of the absolute best new shows this season, though I am enjoying it very much. I'm just saying that the second episode looks to be more representative of what the series will be like instead of going solely off of episode 1.

Personally I'll easily put (in no real order) Kaiji 2, Toriko, Tiger & Bunny, and Ring ni Kakero 1 Season 4 over SKET Dance. Maybe Enma-kun as well, but I'll have to give that another episode to be fair to the others. And, yeah, there's still shows like [C], Deadman Wonderland, and Blue Exorcist that I'm going to check out, not to mention me wanting to see shows like Show Monogatari and Hyouge Mono with subs, which hasn't happened yet (same with Ring ni Kakero 1, but that show is easy enough to follow without subs for now).
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I think I need to go to the sane anime fan's guide to mecha panel, it sounds cool enough anyway!
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
they already know where Steins;Gate is going. The story is based on a game and there is a manga.

Thank you! Seriously... how could they not know!? Even just from seeing or reading the reception of the game, you can clearly see it was well received. How the anime will handle it is quite different. Where it is going...lolz.

What the hell is with the panels Anime hyper God! I have never been not many cons, only Expo once and the lame ass one here.

I'm actually My Little Pony collector (Rainbow Brite, Care Bears and so on) and have been for 14 years so current (i'm a girl not some guy just to be clear) I really like this version Hasbro has made. They dropped off for me the past 4 years or so with the bore 7 >.>. Shameless plug I want your ponies!

I want a Jungle Taitei remake that new movie was so bad !
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
what is wrong with yelling Sieg Zeon? it's Fun. OK i need to take the the Garma funeral speech off my ipod maybe.

ah all this talk of powerpoint it's like watching all the projects for my new media tech class.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
what is wrong with yelling Sieg Zeon? it's Fun. OK i need to take the the Garma funeral speech off my ipod maybe.

ah all this talk of powerpoint it's like watching all the projects for my new media tech class.

The fact that the Zeon are based off of the Nazis and it makes the U.C fandom look like a Neo Nazi rally?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
[quote="rockman
going to have to agree with on this, I disagree with zac ever which way possible on the show but he still sat through and watched all of it I didn't even make it past 5 minutes in "we without wings"

No, I wasn't reffering to Zac, since he usually knows what he's talkin about. Just that everyone else usually doesn't. And while I don't agree with what he thinks of the show, it's his opinion. But I really DID expect everyone except Zac to bash the show without watching an episode or reading a chapter. Same thing with Madoka, people bashing it for beaing a cute magical girl show, except those idiots only watched one episode... or NO episode.
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
Personally, I love the new My Little Pony because it's Lauren Faust and it's the first in a while legitimate cartoon for young girls that has well rounded characters and wonderful story telling. The symbolism is there and there's no agenda. (by while I mean few years, not decades.) Plus, the first two episodes are inspired by Pagan story telling, which is a bonus for me.

I hate Pinkie Pie. She's cute sometimes... I'm a Fluttershy and Applejack fan. Who doesn't love Twilight? It's Tara Strong, dude.

Oh yeah, anime.

I wish you had discussed Hanasaku Iroha...

I love the way these last two episodes were set up; casual talking instead of a formal interview. You can get to a wider variety of topics and then the comments can get to things that are important to the anime discussion but are also kind of out there, like your favorite Pony or the European dj scene. Smile It is a lot of tun this way. Not to say that formal interviews aren't as important. In moderation is what makes ANN Cast so entertaining and informative.

Can we have Ikeda finish the "10 years in the works" Rose of Versailles Opera before she passes?
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
I downloaded from itunes on my iphone and tried to listen via the website on my Xoom, but both are only giving me the first 41 or so minutes of this weeks anncast. Despite disagreeing with ninetyfive percent of everything this week, I'd like to hear the whole show.

Heck, I even liked X-men 3. (I thought it was better than the blatant troll at the end of x-men 2....) It might help that I was busy watching Kitty throughout the film, was there anyone else in it?
braves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see Kawajiri direct Blade with Takeshi Koike character designs, but I believe the current rumor is obviously a flake. If it's the same one that got posted on the Colony Drop twitter feed, then that's not going to happen. It's someone's idea of a joke. The first big red flag is the Takeshi Honda character designs and Honda and Toshiyuki Inoue being the ADs for the show. Yeah, right... Honda has his hands tied up with the Eva movies and Inoue's working on Kon's last film. I'd be shocked if that came true.

Also, Azazel-san is a Production I.G show.

Last edited by braves on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
[quote="rockman

No, I wasn't reffering to Zac, since he usually knows what he's talkin about. Just that everyone else usually doesn't. And while I don't agree with what he thinks of the show, it's his opinion. But I really DID expect everyone except Zac to bash the show without watching an episode or reading a chapter. Same thing with Madoka, people bashing it for beaing a cute magical girl show, except those idiots only watched one episode... or NO episode.

I see true enough I have read 4 volumes of the manga so far for lotte's toy and I like it, cute and funny but well that's what people do, they will not watch anything based on the premise alone and to be fair I really do think they shot themselves on the foot on this one. They could have gone with the fact the the main male leaspoiler[d is 22/23 years old with a 10 year old daughter that is a half sister to the princess he is going to be working for etc.], but well yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4